PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• hebwood
    hebwood Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

Wow - amazing wonderful tales.

I am carrying on - snails pace - but am very OK with that, but, as already said, the change in mindset has a domino effect on everything. A pause to think before doing/buying is working well and time to enjoy the little things - like coffee outside on a sunny morning. It all adds up to a much more JOYFYL life.

Thank you for sharing.

Take care

H
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing that atypicalblonde, I'm glad that the woo factor has found you and life is improving for you.

Just back from a really lovely day at work, spent the morning planting with groups of children. Veg bed looks a joy. Afternoon was spent doing stuff to help out and I also got a bit of a woo chat with someone, can't say more at the mo as it was a testing the water with things that may happen chat.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :T Wowser, atypicalblonde, what a testimony to the power of the woo. Good on ya, girl.

I am close to falling on my face with tiredness but have been a busy little bee today.

This morning we filled the parental car boot with Stuff from theirs and brought it to mine. Then we spent a bit of time at the reclamation yard and then nearly 4 hours up on my allotment putting in new fenceposts. Waved good bye to the family in mid-afternoon, visited a pal for a few mins then settled down to freegle-listing in earnest.

Several items went up, three have takers (two people want the same thing) so I'll keep the pooter on this evening to field emails and make pick-up arrangements.

Home still looks like an explosion of clutter but I feel very well-rewarded for my efforts, esp as Mum said the state of the BCofD was really getting her down but she just didn't know where to start. Plus she has been moved about the surprise re-finding of the letters from her foster-mum back in the 1960s, which she's had only feet away from her bed every night but didn't know she owned. Very poignant in some ways and has helped with some closure-type issues in others.

:p One of the things uncovered was a school report of mine from the early 1970s which I would have happily shredded (unread) but she wants to keep. I didn't bother looking at it as I don't like revisiting old emotions and places. I've always been like that, even as a youngish child. I can still recall the last time I walked out of that school gate and the immense satisfaction of knowing I'd never ever have to go back there again.

Righty, onwards to a bit of R & R and then I may want to excavate my bed from some of the parental kipple so's I can sleep tonight.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Atypicalblonde, that's it exactly! :T Please accept this virtual high-five and toast yourself and family for making the change :beer: :beer:

Your contribution to a happy life for everyone in the household will be enormous and you can take a moment or two to enjoy something everyday, rather than running to catch up.

We kondo'd a fair portion of our less-than-average wages but we are manging just fine and loving the extra time and flexibility (we are now both self employed, although DH went it alone 4 years ago so his business is established, although it is not intended to make us rich and never will ! :D).

Happy Wednesday Everyone,

M

HOORAY!

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    My kitchen has now been fully kondo'ed :j

Just got to paint the radiator in there, then I will be pleased to consider that room done for now. All the cupboards have been cleared out and cleaned, I've had a new back door fitted (which DS and I painted over the bank holiday weekend) and the walls and ceiling have had a fresh coat or two of paint. I'd like to add a kitchen cupboard or two to the existing units, and have the units that were not quite completed when my brother replaced the units some 10 or so years ago finished off, but that will have to wait a bit until I have some funds put aside for that particular project. It is not an eye sore, so can wait a bit longer.

I've started on the next room tonight - the bathroom. I've given myself the month of May to kondo and finish off any decorating in there. I'll be out of the country on business for 7 days just before the next bank holiday weekend, so really only have 3 weeks for this room. Which I think is do-able :)
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind words. :)I find each and every post on this thread a huge inspiration to keep going in the right direction, and can only thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Mrs MP and GQ especially - you ladies amaze me some days with what you achieve. It's odd isn't it, how a lovely little corner of the Internet can cause such a quiet revolution.
    MMF007 - you are too kind, thank you so much and high five and toast gratefully received :)

I'm off to Kondo a cuppa in bed and a chapter of my book. That is joy to me xx:)
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Redlady.....
    Redlady..... Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind words. :)I find each and every post on this thread a huge inspiration to keep going in the right direction, and can only thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Mrs MP and GQ especially - you ladies amaze me some days with what you achieve. It's odd isn't it, how a lovely little corner of the Internet can cause such a quiet revolution.
    MMF007 - you are too kind, thank you so much and high five and toast gratefully received :)

I'm off to Kondo a cuppa in bed and a chapter of my book. That is joy to me xx:)

How very true atb, thats exactly what it's been.

Well done btw.
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    atypicalblonde Well done to you :D A lovely post which sums up what this is all about :T

Have some news about another cupboard at Dads that I have never noticed before :rotfl:
    I went in his en-suite today as the plumber was in the main bathroom replacing taps.
    I said before there is a double door cupboard in there where Henry and such like are kept. Then I noticed above that cupboard there is another one above it with a pull up door (hinged at the top) So could just about reach and all I could see in there was the cushions for the outside reclining chairs I have no idea where the frames are. Asked Dad and he said yes there are 4 of these puffy full length cushions in there :eek:

Well they are taking up about 1/4 of the space of what I can see. How exciting as when he gets on my nerves I can go and hide up there along with the cushions and still have space to spare ;)

KM finding 'space' you never knew you had ;)

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :rotfl: mavvymoo, thats brilliant, you made my day, along with ATB :j:j:j A revolution indeed, I love it.

I've been trying to carry on scanning, but my laptop's a bit upset with me and can only do one thing at a time at the moment, so I'm backing up before I continue :eek:

Otherwise, I'm trying to do whatever I can to ease the burden - cutting the grass, chopping a hedge, shredding the letters already scanned and gone. Might even get round to putting some books on Amazon today, using all those stamps :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I just finished swapping over to the new space saving coat hangers and they look really good. My wardrobe didn't take too long to do, but my DH has so many clothes.

I'm not buying him anymore clothes as presents as it is quite ridiculous how many tops he has.:rotfl:

I'm going to make him look through the wardrobe when he gets home from work to see if he can give some more up.

It looks lovely though and so far I have about 15 or so items to send to the clothes recycling place.:T

I need a rest and an ice lolly as it's quite hot today.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure