The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

How much does a dehumidifier cost to run per 24 hours?

HI all, wonder if anyone can help me work this. Our landlord has givin us a B and Q dehumidifier to soak up damp in our flaT.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&amp;fh_secondid=9446440&amp;fh_view_size=6&amp;fh_start_index=6&amp;fh_eds=?&amp;fh_location=//catal!!!1/en_GB/categories<{10096}/categories<{10098}/system_basicsOnlineOnly>{1}&amp;fh_refview=lister&amp;ts=1227446555241&amp;isSearch=false

THISIS THE MODEL;

Heres the spec of it;

Rated voltage -220-240V
Rated frequency - 50Hz
Rated power - 220W
Moisture removal -10 L/D @ 30*C 80% RH

Im on british gas duel fuel (just changed).

heres the price Im on.

Standard Electricity for;

Meter Type: Single Rate Credit

Payment Method: Quarterly Cash/Cheque

Tier 1 Tier 2 26.909p
per kWh

11.804p
per kWh

(inc.VAT)

does anyone know how to work out the cost for 24 hour period on this information.
Any help gratefully appriciated.

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    We have this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0431590/Trail/searchtext%3EDELONGHI.htm

I reckon it averages 4kwh over 24 hours. It's rated 190watts. I run it for 4-6 hours a day now, mainly because we have a bathroom at the back of the kitchen prone to damp. Has done a brilliant job. Well worth 50p a day when we first got it.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The unit is rated at 220W. This is the maximum power draw and so would cost about 2p per hour at tier2 level.

BUT...it works like a fridge. i.e. it does not draw maximum power continuously as the compressor cuts in and out. Therefore it will cost substantially less than 50p per day at tier2 rates.

Your only way to know how much it is actually costing you is to plug it into a power monitor (currently on offer @ £9.99 @ maplin)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Magentasue
    Premier wrote: »
    Therefore it will cost substantially less than 50p per day at tier2 rates.

Yes, that's true. However, I factor the standing charge into my electricity costs so that I reckon a kwh costs me about 12.5p even though my tier 2 cost is less than that. I did plug mine into a monitor when I first got it, and it averaged 4kwh a day. That was running constantly - we put it on early evening and turn it off at bedtime now.
  • thanks for the advice, I might get one of those power readers from maplin, to check.

so so appor £12 a month on 24 hours
  • Magentasue
    We ran ours constantly for three weeks and then cut down to evenings only. We did this because the bathroom windows were no longer running with condensation so figured we could ease up. We'd had three bedrooms plastered and that was drying out plus the offending bathroom. There are six of us having a bath in the evening so that's when we run ours. I put it on at about 6pm when I start cooking and leave it running until bedtime, so usually about six hours and that works well for us.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Magenta, unless you have no television, no toaster, no kettle, no fridge, no electric shower, no lighting, no washing machine, no children, no computers, etc you should not include the standing charge (whether daily or two tier) in your considerations. That should be separated out as a monthly or quarterly flat rate cost. You should use the tier 2 price.

Richy, don't forget the effectiveness of opening windows and doors for a couple of hours - even when it's cold and wet, the drying effect will be better (and subjectively it always feels less cold) than a locked-up clammy insulated shell.
  • Magentasue
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Magenta, unless you have no television, no toaster, no kettle, no fridge, no electric shower, no lighting, no washing machine, no children, no computers, etc you should not include the standing charge (whether daily or two tier) in your considerations. That should be separated out as a monthly or quarterly flat rate cost. You should use the tier 2 price.

Richy, don't forget the effectiveness of opening windows and doors for a couple of hours - even when it's cold and wet, the drying effect will be better (and subjectively it always feels less cold) than a locked-up clammy insulated shell.

I suppose so, but I like a price per unit that takes the standing charge into account as, since I have to pay it, I see it as part of the running cost of everything rather than just the everyday things. As for opening windows, that works in the rest of the house but not the bathroom. Bathroom is probably a misnomer as it's a converted outhouse tacked on to the back of the house. Opening the windows was enough until winter kicked in and then I couldn't wipe the walls and windows often enough to keep the mould at bay.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I ventilate the bathroom a couple of hours a day, then a couple of hours de-humid in the evening when everything is locked down for the night.
    Helping also are exterior window shutters made from polystyrene, guaranteed no condensation on the inside of the windows in the morning.
    A builder friend has told me that over an extended period of use the demidifier will draw water from the toilet and 'S' bends of the bath and sink, so lid down and plugs in.
  • bockster
    bockster Posts: 448 Forumite
    Ken68 wrote: »
    I ventilate the bathroom a couple of hours a day, then a couple of hours de-humid in the evening when everything is locked down for the night.
    Helping also are exterior window shutters made from polystyrene, guaranteed no condensation on the inside of the windows in the morning.
    A builder friend has told me that over an extended period of use the demidifier will draw water from the toilet and 'S' bends of the bath and sink, so lid down and plugs in.

any traps will refill as soon as you next flush, drain sink, etc.
    me thinks you have to go quite some time without washing/bathing for this to happen in the first place:shocked: :shocked:
    Please note, we've had to remove your signature because it was sh*te!
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport