PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Comments

• FeeFee
    FeeFee Posts: 212 Forumite
    Thanks marshallka

So much credit is due to you, di and others that give so much support to others on here

Have a dodgy hug!! :grouphug:
    :oFeeFee:o Barclaycard CC18.9%[STRIKE] £1800 [/STRIKE]£0NationwideOD[STRIKE] £2550[/STRIKE] £0 Prudential Loan 7.9% [strike]£1260[/strike] £0 0% Debt £[STRIKE]720[/STRIKE] £0 Catalogue debts £[STRIKE]470[/STRIKE] £0 - 0%
    Total Debt - [strike]£6800[/strike] £[STRIKE]6550[/STRIKE] £[STRIKE]5042[/STRIKE] £[STRIKE]4616[/STRIKE] £[STRIKE]3420[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£2450 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£1606[/STRIKE] £0:j
    DFB no.22
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    FeeFee wrote: »
    Thanks marshallka

So much credit is due to you, di and others that give so much support to others on here

Have a dodgy hug!! :grouphug:
    Thanks FeeFee, that hug is definately dodgy:eek:
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    FeeFee wrote: »
    :jEvening all

I am so happy to be finally posting on this thread.
    • What were you reclaiming: PPI on loan
    • Who was the provider: Egg
    • How much did you get back: £980.91
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: One letter plus an ID confirmation request
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale I wrote to Egg end October about PPI on this loan. They replied with a request for signatures to confirm ID due to name change. With this response I queried with them if I had ever had PPI on a credit card account I held with them. I was most disheartened last week to recieve a letter from them regarding the CC PPI saying the usual drivel that I've read on others posts here. Fired off an email complaining that they hadn't addressed my initial complaint... Came home today to find out why!!!! Letter stating .. after carrying out a full review.... payment to follow in 7-10 working days!!
    They have included interest on the PPI premium at contractual loan rate.
    No 8% added but could always take them to the FOS for that??

Right now I'm so happy to be getting this much :j:j:beer::j:j

Huge thanks to all the wonderful posters on here - you know who you are!!:D:D

And to the Most Magnificent Martin of course :T:T:T You totally rock!!

Will await their final response on the CC PPI ...
    Have also had a 'need more time' letter from Nationwide today regarding a loan PPI reclaim with them - which could be a positive sign (if they aren't able to discount it immediately??)

HAPPY DAYS!!! :rotfl::rotfl:

Fab :T:T:T
    This is wonderful, well done and Congratulations.:beer::beer:
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Hello to all the hardy souls on this forum, first post on here, but felt compelled as an inspiration to others.

As with many finally plucked up the courage to challenge the loans i had with the above providers.

Started with a loan i had with Egg, wrote off (5\10\09)using a template letter from here, recieved a response a week later saying they were looking into it. Five weeks later received a letter saying my complaint was upheld with the money in my account that afternoon approx (6\11\09)-£4346.

Telephoned to ask if this was for the two loans i had taken, the second being a consolidation loan on the first, reply was no but they would register my complaint about my first. Received a letter a week later informing me they were also upholding my complaint on that, also paid, by cheque for this one, £1375.

That compelled me to begin the proces of scouring old bank statements and looking for any previous financial transactions and writing off claims letters, as i had believed that all the PPI's taken had been compulsory and the sales people had almost to a man been pushy providing no other advice. This was even in the face of being an NHS employee which entitles me to sickness pay when off work, which I believe renders all policies mis-sold given that they must have an awareness that NHS employees enjoy this provision.

Anyhow I sent some 10-14 letters off and have continued to do so to various financial establishments.

Halifax contacted me to let me know within two weeks that they did not believe I was mis-sold the policy on a loan which was completed in 2004, and I did not even provide an account number, merely gave the details of my previous address, but that they would put me back in the position had the PPI not been applied.

Another account I had was with HFC, this is the best of the lot.
    I rang them to find out some details about the Card \ loan I had with them, which had been paid off in 2003, which was described as a revolving credit agreement. The lady was really helpful and provided me with the account details and I proceeded to write a letter, but decided to call to ask for the address to write to and the next lady registered my complaint in a 5 minute phone call. I requested the full details of the card, i.e. start date, end date, loan amount etc. I received a letter a week later explaining the financial details. A day later I received 2 letters, the first explainig we are sorry to hear about your complaint, we will be working to resolve this in 4 weeks, but have 8 blah blah blah as I thought. The second letter contained details of their decision, which refuted my claim but stated they were making a goodwill gesture to put me back where I would have been if the PPI had not been applied, once I read the word however I could not wait to turn the page.

I turned the page and could not believe the figures in the offer.

£11778, yes almost £12k, for one phone call, that was two weeks previous and they have since put the money in my account after enclosing an acceptance letter and requesting my bank account details to transfer the amount via a BACS. Money paid 5 days after sending the acceptance letter.

I have since tried to claim my Egg CC PPI which they are disputing, even after the FSA fines them and the payment to me of two claims in the previous 4 weeks. I informed them that they wronlgy informed me when I first applied on line as I had enquired prior to filling in the on line application. They have refused asking me to provide the number date and time of the call, which they will provide the necessary out of pocket expenses for, I made the call prior to Jan 1999, so they are being awkward about my claim around the details of a phone call nearly 10 years ago, unbelievable. I have since referred this to the FOS.

I am currently awaiting responses about claims from First Plus, MBNS, HBOS, Halifax, Mint, Time, Northern Rock and Membership Finance. I have also double checked the financial information about transactions by accessing my credit report on credit checker, as advised by MSE.

I felt like I was drowning in debt and could not sleep one night and typed the first letter about 5 in the morning, in October.

I have so far claimed back almost £18000 and been advised by Halifax they will be making a payment to me in the near future, expecting that next week, so the figure will be neare to £20000. I am going to pursue all the other claims right to the end, as the HFC payment merely outlines to me the money they have wrongly taken. I was paid £12k on an agreement that only had a maximum limit of £7, obscene and lacking in morals is how I would describe them, so for me its no more Mr Nice Guy.

I really hope that others will read this and gain vicarious support and strength to get their skates on and start writing those letters.

The key to all of this is in the phrase that has been used on so many posts on here ITS YOUR MONEY

I feel really informed after reading the posts, and feel like getting another few loans so I can have PPI again and reclaim again (only joking) as it has become a bit of a bug, but it is like a new hobby and when all my claims are sorted I will miss the enjoyment and buzz of reading the forum in anticipation of what may be in store. I say this not in false hope but having spent time scouring this years forums over the course of a couple of weeks, and it appears to me that companies are paying out much faster, and there has been a definite shift, and with the reports from the FOS that they cannot recruit and train staff fast enough to deal with the backlogue, it is looking much easier to claim than a year or so ago.

Some of my outstanding claims are quite old, but principally I do not believe this matters and I will keep you all informed as things progress, as I will be seeing these throught to the end.

Good luck to everyone on here and a really big thanks for the inspiration and vicarious support offered through the forums
    :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::j
  • Guys,

Thanks for the inspiration you have all given me and thousands of others with your posts regarding successes/knockbacks etc.

I used to work for Halifax (from Oct 04 - Jan 09) until I was dismissed. I took them to court for unfair dismissal, and made an out of court settlement.

I'm afraid to say that I was a banking advisor, one of those that you went and had a meeting with when you wanted a loan/credit card etc, and a very successful one at the(top in Manchester and one of the top in the region (north west and northern ireland) and the UK. I know literally every trick in the book when it comes to flogging this stuff, and know exactly how to get around the rules etc.

I have since started my own (tiny) Claims management company (anything to get the !!!!!!s back for the last year of stress that they have caused!) and have claimed back a fair few grand from them!

One case that I think is a massive landmark, one that everyone should know about:

I sold a loan and was observed selling it - we had monthly ob's (observations) to check we were being compliant. We had a STRICT criteria to follow to make sure we were doing everything legally, and x amount of unsuccessful ob's and you were goosed!

Any who, this particular Ob's was successful (no development) - you could get successfull with development (which was acceptable), successful no development (rare), and unsuccessfull.

Needless to say..THAT particular loan, I have reclaimed the PPI for, a total of £955.86 went into his bank a few weeks ago.

Just use this to give you confidence, its not about being Mis sold - its about being given an inappropriate product....

YOU WILL SUCCEED, just dont give up!!

Good luck!

Jimmy
  • I would like to say a huge thank you to Martin and the team!:money::T
    I have just successfully claimed back £4923 from my bank for a loan that ended 3 years ago! Thats on top of the £1600 in bank charges i got back in June 2007!

I was in two minds about whether or not to do it, but sent the letter non the less with multiple reasons from the template as to why i believed i was due the money back.

I sent the letter in October and got my claim last Friday! No arguing or dispute. They offered me a settlement from that one letter!

I urge people to look back at their paper work and see if they are missing out. I was dubious, but it has so paid off! And now i have got rid of my huge credit card! One step nearer to being debt free.

Martin and the team have been an inspriration and put me back on the track to being in charge of my own finances!

Happy Christmas Everyone!
  • Hi there guy’s,

I’m new to the site and am wondering if I can ask advice about reclaiming PPI & unfair charges. In 2004 I managed to get myself into a stupid amount of debt to the sum of £36k. in 2005 I entered in an IVA, paid off 5k myself and luckily for me my dad bailed me out, made an offer of 11k which was accepted and the IVA was settled in Jan 2007, since then I have got my act together and am now debt free and trying my hardest to get my credit rating back into shape.

After signing up to this site news letter I successfully manage to claim back £1400 of unfair bank charges from HSBC in June 07. for some strange reason I didn’t attempt to do the same for my credit cards, bank loans and other bank account until now.

I have sent letters to Barclaycard, Mint, Egg, Capital One, Natwest (Loan). I am attempting to claim unfair charges and PPI. Most credit card applications were done via the internet in 04/05 and I don’t ever remember specifically requesting PPI. I am having a fight trying to get the companies to respond to me.

I have however had a response from RBS regarding the PPI for my Mint credit card. Basically their final decision is that I don’t have a leg to stand on. As far as I can remember I made this application on-line but they are saying it was via a postal application in feb 04 and that I signed to apply for PPI and that it was clearly shown on all of my statements. It may have been shown on my statements but I stupidly would not open my statements, no wonder I ended up in so much debt at a young age. So now I don’t know what to do.

Do I just give up on all of this, between all of my old credit cards theres at least £2k of charges and I dread to think how much I was charged in PPI.

Any advice would be very much appreciated x

• Kazzalina wrote: »
    Hi there guy’s,

I’m new to the site and am wondering if I can ask advice about reclaiming PPI & unfair charges. In 2004 I managed to get myself into a stupid amount of debt to the sum of £36k. in 2005 I entered in an IVA, paid off 5k myself and luckily for me my dad bailed me out, made an offer of 11k which was accepted and the IVA was settled in Jan 2007, since then I have got my act together and am now debt free and trying my hardest to get my credit rating back into shape.

After signing up to this site news letter I successfully manage to claim back £1400 of unfair bank charges from HSBC in June 07. for some strange reason I didn’t attempt to do the same for my credit cards, bank loans and other bank account until now.

I have sent letters to Barclaycard, Mint, Egg, Capital One, Natwest (Loan). I am attempting to claim unfair charges and PPI. Most credit card applications were done via the internet in 04/05 and I don’t ever remember specifically requesting PPI. I am having a fight trying to get the companies to respond to me.

I have however had a response from RBS regarding the PPI for my Mint credit card. Basically their final decision is that I don’t have a leg to stand on. As far as I can remember I made this application on-line but they are saying it was via a postal application in feb 04 and that I signed to apply for PPI and that it was clearly shown on all of my statements. It may have been shown on my statements but I stupidly would not open my statements, no wonder I ended up in so much debt at a young age. So now I don’t know what to do.

Do I just give up on all of this, between all of my old credit cards theres at least £2k of charges and I dread to think how much I was charged in PPI.

Any advice would be very much appreciated x
    Don't give up. If you feel you have been mis-sold go to the FOS with this and see what they can do.
  • di3004
    joey99 wrote: »
    Hello to all the hardy souls on this forum, first post on here, but felt compelled as an inspiration to others.

As with many finally plucked up the courage to challenge the loans i had with the above providers.

Started with a loan i had with Egg, wrote off (5\10\09)using a template letter from here, recieved a response a week later saying they were looking into it. Five weeks later received a letter saying my complaint was upheld with the money in my account that afternoon approx (6\11\09)-£4346.

Telephoned to ask if this was for the two loans i had taken, the second being a consolidation loan on the first, reply was no but they would register my complaint about my first. Received a letter a week later informing me they were also upholding my complaint on that, also paid, by cheque for this one, £1375.

That compelled me to begin the proces of scouring old bank statements and looking for any previous financial transactions and writing off claims letters, as i had believed that all the PPI's taken had been compulsory and the sales people had almost to a man been pushy providing no other advice. This was even in the face of being an NHS employee which entitles me to sickness pay when off work, which I believe renders all policies mis-sold given that they must have an awareness that NHS employees enjoy this provision.

Anyhow I sent some 10-14 letters off and have continued to do so to various financial establishments.

Halifax contacted me to let me know within two weeks that they did not believe I was mis-sold the policy on a loan which was completed in 2004, and I did not even provide an account number, merely gave the details of my previous address, but that they would put me back in the position had the PPI not been applied.

Another account I had was with HFC, this is the best of the lot.
    I rang them to find out some details about the Card \ loan I had with them, which had been paid off in 2003, which was described as a revolving credit agreement. The lady was really helpful and provided me with the account details and I proceeded to write a letter, but decided to call to ask for the address to write to and the next lady registered my complaint in a 5 minute phone call. I requested the full details of the card, i.e. start date, end date, loan amount etc. I received a letter a week later explaining the financial details. A day later I received 2 letters, the first explainig we are sorry to hear about your complaint, we will be working to resolve this in 4 weeks, but have 8 blah blah blah as I thought. The second letter contained details of their decision, which refuted my claim but stated they were making a goodwill gesture to put me back where I would have been if the PPI had not been applied, once I read the word however I could not wait to turn the page.

I turned the page and could not believe the figures in the offer.

£11778, yes almost £12k, for one phone call, that was two weeks previous and they have since put the money in my account after enclosing an acceptance letter and requesting my bank account details to transfer the amount via a BACS. Money paid 5 days after sending the acceptance letter.

I have since tried to claim my Egg CC PPI which they are disputing, even after the FSA fines them and the payment to me of two claims in the previous 4 weeks. I informed them that they wronlgy informed me when I first applied on line as I had enquired prior to filling in the on line application. They have refused asking me to provide the number date and time of the call, which they will provide the necessary out of pocket expenses for, I made the call prior to Jan 1999, so they are being awkward about my claim around the details of a phone call nearly 10 years ago, unbelievable. I have since referred this to the FOS.

I am currently awaiting responses about claims from First Plus, MBNS, HBOS, Halifax, Mint, Time, Northern Rock and Membership Finance. I have also double checked the financial information about transactions by accessing my credit report on credit checker, as advised by MSE.

I felt like I was drowning in debt and could not sleep one night and typed the first letter about 5 in the morning, in October.

I have so far claimed back almost £18000 and been advised by Halifax they will be making a payment to me in the near future, expecting that next week, so the figure will be neare to £20000. I am going to pursue all the other claims right to the end, as the HFC payment merely outlines to me the money they have wrongly taken. I was paid £12k on an agreement that only had a maximum limit of £7, obscene and lacking in morals is how I would describe them, so for me its no more Mr Nice Guy.

I really hope that others will read this and gain vicarious support and strength to get their skates on and start writing those letters.

The key to all of this is in the phrase that has been used on so many posts on here ITS YOUR MONEY

I feel really informed after reading the posts, and feel like getting another few loans so I can have PPI again and reclaim again (only joking) as it has become a bit of a bug, but it is like a new hobby and when all my claims are sorted I will miss the enjoyment and buzz of reading the forum in anticipation of what may be in store. I say this not in false hope but having spent time scouring this years forums over the course of a couple of weeks, and it appears to me that companies are paying out much faster, and there has been a definite shift, and with the reports from the FOS that they cannot recruit and train staff fast enough to deal with the backlogue, it is looking much easier to claim than a year or so ago.

Some of my outstanding claims are quite old, but principally I do not believe this matters and I will keep you all informed as things progress, as I will be seeing these throught to the end.

Good luck to everyone on here and a really big thanks for the inspiration and vicarious support offered through the forums
    :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::j

Hi and welcome.;)

Blimey this is fantastic, all these wins and many to come :T:T:T

Well done to you, you done marvellously well, Congratulations.
    :beer::T:beer::T:j:j:j
  • di3004
    Jimmyboy wrote: »
    Guys,

Thanks for the inspiration you have all given me and thousands of others with your posts regarding successes/knockbacks etc.

I used to work for Halifax (from Oct 04 - Jan 09) until I was dismissed. I took them to court for unfair dismissal, and made an out of court settlement.

I'm afraid to say that I was a banking advisor, one of those that you went and had a meeting with when you wanted a loan/credit card etc, and a very successful one at the(top in Manchester and one of the top in the region (north west and northern ireland) and the UK. I know literally every trick in the book when it comes to flogging this stuff, and know exactly how to get around the rules etc.

I have since started my own (tiny) Claims management company (anything to get the !!!!!!s back for the last year of stress that they have caused!) and have claimed back a fair few grand from them!

One case that I think is a massive landmark, one that everyone should know about:

I sold a loan and was observed selling it - we had monthly ob's (observations) to check we were being compliant. We had a STRICT criteria to follow to make sure we were doing everything legally, and x amount of unsuccessful ob's and you were goosed!

Any who, this particular Ob's was successful (no development) - you could get successfull with development (which was acceptable), successful no development (rare), and unsuccessfull.

Needless to say..THAT particular loan, I have reclaimed the PPI for, a total of £955.86 went into his bank a few weeks ago.

Just use this to give you confidence, its not about being Mis sold - its about being given an inappropriate product....

YOU WILL SUCCEED, just dont give up!!

Good luck!

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy ;)
    Thank you for this information......:T:T

And the advice as well, much appreciated.;)#
    Also well done on your reclaim as well.:beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing