Money Moral Dilemma: Should I give as much if I'm only going to the evening do?

Comments

• If I went to just the evening do then they're likely to be not as close a friend as someone who invited me to a day do. Therefore I would probably give the day do more money.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lily-Rose wrote: »
    Sorry to sound dumb, but should the bride and groom expect anything from people who are not invited to the actual wedding? But only the night do? I think a card would be in order, but a gift?

I've only been to one wedding where I was only invited to the evening element. I don't remember too well but I believe we only gave a card. To be fair they weren't close at all and it was actually years until we saw them again. Only reason I went was because my girlfriend was keen to go.

Drmouse, I can respect what your saying and in a situation where a wedding is literally family only I could appreciate it. However did you have any friends at your wedding? If so you are basically saying to your 'evening do' guests that they aren't as good a friends as those that you did invite to the whole day. Nothing wrong with that as such but you should expect 'C list friend' presents from them.

I think a wedding is a great situation to see just how good a friend someone considers you.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Personally I don't think the Bride and Groom should expect gifts from the day or evening guests, if they invite to celebrate their marriage then that is up to them but should not expect gifts in return.
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Lily-Rose_3 Posts: 2,732 Forumite
    Ladyhawk wrote: »
    I find evening only invitations incredibly offensive and rude. I refuse to go just to the evening bit. If I'm not a good enough friend to be invited to the ceremony the I'm not going to turn up to make up the numbers in the evening. Save yourself money and worry and be otherwise engaged that evening.

This ^^^ :T
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...Have to agree with this post - In the past we HAVE attended a wedding just for the evening "do" -and found it quite unpleasant as most of the guests had already drunk their fill, it was very noisy,the groom and his "mates" were out of their skulls, and we didn't even see the bride!!

We recently were invited to the evening of a niece's wedding when most of the other uncles/aunts were invited to the whole event -we declined the invitation as we felt very offended ...and no wedding present!

I fully understand the point about costs but the bride/groom need to think VERY carefully about guest lists!

This too :T
    selement wrote: »
    Wow our evening guests aren't 'making up numbers ' they're people we'd love to invite to the full day but it's getting so expensive so if we've known them less time or are a bit less close they got an evening invite instead. I hope none of our friends are offended in this way! I think it's fine to pay less for an evening invite, maybe have 1 gift from the day guests of the group and 1 from the evening guests?

I agree with ladyhawke and brewerdave.

I wouldn't thank anyone for only giving me a post-wedding 'night do' invite either, nor would I get the couple a present. If I'm not deemed worthy enough to be invited to the actual wedding, and am clearly not wanted anywhere on their wedding photos, then I won't be attending the 'night do.'

People can make of it what they like, but there is no need for them to be insulting and berating people who don't think as they do, and find a post-wedding 'night do' invitation a bit insulting.
    Kynthia wrote: »
    Wow, how is an invite offensive? Talk about a sense of entitlement when an invite to a party with food and music 'isn't enough'.

An invite to a party with food and music? You're joking aren't you? So you expect people to spend potentially forty to fifty quid on an outfit, anything between forty and fifty quid on taxis, maybe fifty quid on a hotel room if the 'night do' is too far to get to and from in one night, forty odd quid for babysitting if kids aren't invited, fifty quid on a gift, and pay for all their drinks all night at the bar (because drinks are NEVER included at these things!) Just to get a few stale vol au vents and a piece of rubbery quiche, and to spend the evening in the company of a crappy DJ paying rubbish music all night, and a 100 people who they barely know.

We're looking potentially at around £200 plus! And I wasn't even worthy of being invited to the wedding! And I'm meant to be flattered by this invite?

No thanks, I think I'll stay at home and watch Strictly, in the company of my family, (not a bunch of people I barely know,) with a four quid bottle of wine from Lidl, and a Chinese takeaway. MUCH more enjoyable and probably 10-15 times cheaper!

What's more, my local pub holds parties and events every 2 months or so with a barbecue, or a disco, or a live act, and gives out free food. All you have to do is buy your own drinks. Fifteen minute walk, free night except the drinks, free food, free music, good company!

I know which I prefer!

Yes IMO, it IS insulting actually... "You can come to the disco in the evening, spend a fortune on taxis, hotel rooms, an outfit, babysitting, drinks at the bar which will be at least a fiver each, and make sure you buy me a fabulous gift, but you don't get to come to my wedding."

Errrrr, nah yer OK!
    In fairness though, it sounds very much like your friends may have a good measure of what you're like, and in fact the reason you only get invited to an evening do may be because they feel that they "have" to invite you...I bet there's a sense of relief when you decline it! :rotfl:

Now that's just rude. Says more about you to be honest.

Had a few people turn down your evening invite did you?! ;)

I would imagine the poster you're digging at would be more relieved than the bride and groom, if she can think of an excuse to not go to their ghastly 'post-wedding night do.'
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
  • :TWell said
    iclayt wrote: »
    I got married 5 months ago. One of my best friends for over 25 years travelled a very long way to be there during the ceremony and do a reading for us, and paid a lot in travel and hotel costs; we never received a gift from her and I thought that fair enough. On the other hand, we invited a couple of people we hardly ever see to the evening do - friends, just live over an hour away so hard to catch up often - and they were thrilled with the invitation, bought us chocolates, a buyagift 'foodie experience' voucher, and lovely expensive looking candle. Friends of my MiL and FiL - not even relations - spent almost £100 pounds on us from our wedding list, whereas 3 friends my partner went to school with, and has been friends with ever since, wrote a joint card together and put £25 on a John Lewis card between them - and two are on £40k+ a year. We didn't bat an eyelid and bought a nice vase with it.

Everyone has different ideas about what is appropriate and everyone has different budgets. Weddings are about celebrating a marriage, not presents.

Pay what you can afford into the group gift, or buy something yourself, or don't buy anything at all. If the hosts are expecting a present in return for an invitation, they aren't very good hosts, and if friends give you a hard time for not putting in as much to a gift, they aren't very good friends.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lily-Rose wrote: »
    This ^^^ :T

This too :T

I agree with ladyhawke and brewerdave.

I wouldn't thank anyone for only giving me a post-wedding 'night do' invite either, nor would I get the couple a present. If I'm not deemed worthy enough to be invited to the actual wedding, and am clearly not wanted anywhere on their wedding photos, then I won't be attending the 'night do.'

People can make of it what they like, but there is no need for them to be insulting and berating people who don't think as they do, and find a post-wedding 'night do' invitation a bit insulting.

An invite to a party with food and music? You're joking aren't you? So you expect people to spend potentially forty to fifty quid on an outfit, anything between forty and fifty quid on taxis, maybe fifty quid on a hotel room if the 'night do' is too far to get to and from in one night, forty odd quid for babysitting if kids aren't invited, fifty quid on a gift, and pay for all their drinks all night at the bar (because drinks are NEVER included at these things!) Just to get a few stale vol au vents and a piece of rubbery quiche, and to spend the evening in the company of a crappy DJ paying rubbish music all night, and a 100 people who they barely know.

We're looking potentially at around £200 plus! And I wasn't even worthy of being invited to the wedding! And I'm meant to be flattered by this invite?

No thanks, I think I'll stay at home and watch Strictly, in the company of my family, (not a bunch of people I barely know,) with a four quid bottle of wine from Lidl, and a Chinese takeaway. MUCH more enjoyable and probably 10-15 times cheaper!

What's more, my local pub holds parties and events every 2 months or so with a barbecue, or a disco, or a live act, and gives out free food. All you have to do is buy your own drinks. Fifteen minute walk, free night except the drinks, free food, free music, good company!

I know which I prefer!

Yes IMO, it IS insulting actually... "You can come to the disco in the evening, spend a fortune on taxis, hotel rooms, an outfit, babysitting, drinks at the bar which will be at least a fiver each, and make sure you buy me a fabulous gift, but you don't get to come to my wedding."

Errrrr, nah yer OK!

Now that's just rude. Says more about you to be honest.

Had a few people turn down your evening invite did you?! ;)

I would imagine the poster you're digging at would be more relieved than the bride and groom, if she can think of an excuse to not go to their ghastly 'post-wedding night do.'

I don't know anyone who would pay for fancy new outfits, expensive cab rides and hotel accommodation to attend an evening do. Plus not everyone has children and needs to pay for babysitters and I can't say that brides and groom 'expect' a gift from anyone, never mind an evening guest. Many who are less close just bring a card or a bottle of something. Most people only go to an evening do in an outfit they already own and if it's a reasonable distance to travel to for an evening. If it's too far you decline. Also usually people are invited by someone they like so I guess I don't understand all this venomosity. It appears many of you are invited by people you don't care about, so don't go as I wouldn't make the effort for people didn't know or like, but it seems strange to be invited at all then.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    I don't really understand the anger some people would have at being invited to a 'night do' only. Yes, its an indicator that you aren't as close a friend as those who went to the full day, but, isn't that pretty normal? Don't we all have people we are very close to, and people that we like and get on with and would love to have a good drunken dance with but the friendship isn't as close or as deep? I know I do!

The evening receptions I've been to have been for in-laws, work colleagues, childhood friends I've not stayed as close to, people who are the children of my parents' closest friends, distant cousins etc. I would never have any expectation that I'd go to the full day for those people, but I'm not insulted to get an invitation to a party with a buffet and live band, I'll just go along in an outfit I already own and take a card and gift that's more like a birthday spend than a full day wedding spend.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    Kynthia wrote: »
    I don't understand all this venomosity.

I think that's my favourite new word of the day, and its not even 9am yet!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    silvercar wrote: »
    If I was organising a group present I would expect that everyone who wants to join the group to give the same agreed amount. If people want to gift a different amount then they can give independently or as part of another group.

It upsets too many people (including other givers) if some people give more and some less.

I agree with this ^^^^.
    The poster with the dilemma should stop thinking about what he/she is getting out of the invitation e.g. meal/wine versus maybe a curled-up egg'n'cress sandwich and decide if they want to go equal shares in a joint gift and if they don't, they should give their own gift.

The person organising the collection should have considered this might happen and discussed an amount that everyone was happy with.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    On such an occasion as a wedding, it isn't what you get out of it that counts, surely. You're either friends with the couple, or you're not, and whether you're there all day or just for the evening makes no difference.

However, if you feel so strongly about it, why not tell the others that you would prefer to buy something special instead? It need not be expensive. How about, for example, a five-year diary, always assuming that the marriage will last that long?:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure