Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Comments

• Hi,
    I wonder if you can help me on this. My partner has a zone 1-5 Oyster card. He travels twice a week to Horsham from London Victoria and buys two split tickets (Victoria-East Croydon rtn and East Croydon-Horsham rtn).
    We have however realized that, East Croydon being in Zone 5, he should be able to travel there without buying an extra ticket as his Oyster card would allow him to travel there for free. He would however of course not be able to touch out on his Oyster in East Croydon.
    Has anyone had a similar case and, if so, how can it be solved correctly and legally?
    Many thanks to everyone who has a suggestion!
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    There is no requirement to touch out if your journey takes you outside the London Zonal area. Your partner should buy a Boundary Zone 5 - Horsham return although frustratingly Boundary Zone tickets can only be bought at the ticket office.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • I registered with Redspottedhanky to get their 10pound-off train travel voucher. When I went to their website to check on train fares, I found that for all of the journeys I checked, the fare was significantly higher than getting the tickets directly from national rail or from the rail company. Example: one way off-peak from London to Tunbridge Wells, 30 pounds with Redspotted but only 15pounds directly from southeastern railway website. Even with the 10pound voucher, I'd spend more with Redspotted. I realize that they are advertising a few good deals for trips in to London but every journey I checked was extremely expensive and much more than through national rail. I'd suggest you check the real ticket price before booking with this website. I consider paying double a rip-off.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    kitron64 wrote: »
    I registered with Redspottedhanky to get their 10pound-off train travel voucher. When I went to their website to check on train fares, I found that for all of the journeys I checked, the fare was significantly higher than getting the tickets directly from national rail or from the rail company. Example: one way off-peak from London to Tunbridge Wells, 30 pounds with Redspotted but only 15pounds directly from southeastern railway website. Even with the 10pound voucher, I'd spend more with Redspotted. I realize that they are advertising a few good deals for trips in to London but every journey I checked was extremely expensive and much more than through national rail. I'd suggest you check the real ticket price before booking with this website. I consider paying double a rip-off.

Well I can't replicate your problem - I think you were doing something wrong, or the site was temporarily malfunctioning. There is no fare that high to Tunbridge Wells, except a first class return

It is true though that some train operators will offer discounts on their own tickets booked on their own website
  • New 15% discount off the price of a Railcard which in turn saves 1/3 off most rail fares. Valid until August 31 2011 when buying online from the main railcard website which includes Senior Railcard, 16-25 Young Person's Railcard and Family & Friends Railcard. It offers a saving of £4.20 on a £28 one year railcard. When purchasing online click 'buy now' and enter the promotional code RAIL15 in the box.

Pity I bought my railcard last week when there were no voucher codes to be found. Perhaps it will benefit others if I post it here though.

mab
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    kitron64 wrote: »
    I consider paying double a rip-off.
    Could it be that you said two people were travelling?

If so, the price shown will be total for two people.

Just a guess.
  • I noticed that all the online ticketing agents are much of a muchness with lack of card fees being the seller. Southern Trains (even for non Southern routes) appears to have £2.52 cashback through topcashback.co.uk and no booking fee. Going to the station is a good call too!
  • Hi, Wondering if anyone could advise me if i've done the right thing:

My friend, who is registered blind, my two children and myself are going to Tain in October for a week, leaving from glasgow Queen Street. I got many quotes from different sites and even the train station, all were over £100. However, today i went onto East Coast rail website, and got a return ticket for the 4 of us for just £68..! booked immediately but when they emailed the conf, it's booked under club55...my friend and I are only 32, but he has a disabled card which allows him a companion for a discounted rate (he is free) I definitely ticked the disabled rail card but we still got it for £17 each return under this club! Does anyone know if club55 also includes disabled passengers, of any age? :)
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Club55 is solely for 55 and over, disabled or not

Given that Club55 cannot currently be booked online it's difficult to see what happened

Scotrail do have a kids go free offer though - even so I don't think it would be as low as that
  • Hi,

Club55 starts again on 19th September, so if booking a date from then on should be possible.

jen 1278 you might get away with your tickets, depends how 'jobs worth' the ticket inspector is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure