Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• Westvleteren
    Westvleteren Posts: 4,489 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 8:12AM
    Anon wrote: »
    Good evening. Has anyone investigated premium bonds for savings? There was an rticle in The Times today which got me thinking ... but then if I am considering it, you can bet the rate will drop or the terms will change!

Many thanks

Anon

Mother has maxed them out and over the course of two years has averaged £75 a month. How that compares to spreading it out over your typical current/ savings accounts I don't know.
    Something unexpected happened which made me smile and still continues to make me smile.

• Busylizzie
    Busylizzie Posts: 2,988
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning Everyone :)

Really excited this morning as been contacted by a firm of heir hunters as a distant cousin has died intestate....not sure what it means yet but hope it might pay for a holiday next year :j

Feel a bit sad though as he was only about six years older than me but never married, both parents dead and very shy. I haven't seen him since I was about 12. Excited but don't really feel entitled to money from someone I didn't really know.
  • emerald21
    emerald21 Posts: 11,349
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    aau1 wrote: »
    the 75pts wys £25 ends today :(

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/collect-points

Fingers crossed for you that it rolls over

Hopefully they ll have a voucher in the Christmas magazine for 100 points like they did last year :)

Good Morning all and Nellie :)
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    good morning all....

Well yesterday I played at the meat counter in T and did very well spending just over £2 mainly on packs of meat and puff pastry pies that were all reduced to 30p each.
    the freezer is now full and TBH it will keep us going well into next month

.....but I ordered 2 cases of white from Twine

so that clearly is my downfall

off to read back on what I missed last night,seems lots of posts.

have a lovely day all,it might be the last nice day of weather before the chill sets in x
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • aau1
    aau1 Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    Busylizzie wrote: »

Really excited this morning as been contacted by a firm of heir hunters as a distant cousin has died intestate....not sure what it means yet but hope it might pay for a holiday next year :j

Feel a bit sad though as he was only about six years older than me but never married, both parents dead and very shy. I haven't seen him since I was about 12. Excited but don't really feel entitled to money from someone I didn't really know.

I'm sure your cousin would rather it went to a relative (no matter how distant) than be tied up for years and eventually handed over to the state
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is [strike]the word[/strike] a moorhen
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Anon wrote: »
    Good evening. Has anyone investigated premium bonds for savings? There was an rticle in The Times today which got me thinking ... but then if I am considering it, you can bet the rate will drop or the terms will change!

Many thanks

Anon

Also thinking about this, since my emergency money is getting 0.01%. seems a safe way to hold some cash with a not terrible rate.

Has to go to someone, may as well be you. If he had wanted anyone particularly close to him to inherit, he would have left a will. Question is how many other cousins are there?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262
    Forumite
    Mother has maxed them out and over the course of two years has averaged £75 a month. How that compares to your typical current/ savings account I don't know.

so £50K is the max but I imagine that there are people out there who invested in ISAs when they were big news many many years ago who only get 0.50% now so why not - might as well have some fun with your money :D

About 30 years ago I found £5 wet in a gutter when £5 was a significant amount so I bought a premium bond - never won anything. OH has won once

I ought to register online
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Busylizzie
    Busylizzie Posts: 2,988
    Forumite
    aau1 wrote: »
    I'm sure your cousin would rather it went to a relative (no matter how distant) than be tied up for years and eventually handed over to the state
    silvercar wrote: »
    Has to go to someone, may as well be you. If he had wanted anyone particularly close to him to inherit, he would have left a will. Question is how many other cousins are there?

Mmmm......true. I just suspect that he didn't have anyone close at all which is very sad.
    Think I'm one of four.
  • mhoc wrote: »
    so £50K is the max but I imagine that there are people out there who invested in ISAs when they were big news many many years ago who only get 0.50% now so why not - might as well have some fun with your money :D

About 30 years ago I found £5 wet in a gutter when £5 was a significant amount so I bought a premium bond - never won anything. OH has won once

I ought to register online

I had the max when it was 30k and used to get 25-50 a month. One wedding, one semi-retirement and 2 g/kids later and they are no more...:rotfl:but it was always a nice little thrill banking the cheques and being a millionaire-in-waiting.

I'd start building them up again, but at the moment the mini pension seems a better vehicle to deposit any extras into, as they say I can get that out as a lump in 3 years, so 20% tax relief on additional contributions averages over 6% p.a. over the time I have in mind, plus any little bits of growth that occurs during the period. Not talking mega-bucks, but it all helps.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262
    Forumite

If there are only 4 of you who might be entitled might it be worth a look at this?

https://www.gov.uk/unclaimed-estates-bona-vacantia

The distant cousins name will be on this list

Looking at the list of evidence needed it looks like a daunting task, proving your eligibility and you need to make a family tree with all of the relevant dates ...
    My solicitor has free initial half hour appointments so it might be the same with yours - do your initial research first and see what you think - these inheritance firms charge very high fees, no idea how much exactly but it might be a percentage (plus costs and VAT) .....
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure