PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Underactive Thyroid Recipe Help..

Hi there. Sorry if this is on the wrong board..

I have an underactive thryoid, have had it since birth so have been on medication for all of my life - and although my levels are ok, I still suffer from some of the symptoms & can also not lose weight to save my life!!! I admit that sometimes my diet is apalling, when I fall off the wagon and have periods of binge eating (oops!!), although I do like fruit veg & not a fussy eater, so when I DO try, it makes me mad & upset that I cannot lose weight. ((This week, for example, been to the gym 4 times already, and I'll be lucky enough if I lose a lb!)).

Foods which are meant to help with the thyroid are:

Seafood, Seaweed, Kelp & Garlic. Cashew nuts, pumpkin seeds, turkey, brown rice, brazil nuts, sesame seeds & lentils.

Can anyone think of any good recipes that include these items? I really lack imagination when it comes to cooking!! Most of the items (seeds & nuts) I can have as a snack, but as for the others??

Supplements to take are:

Kelp, selenium, zinc, flaxeed oil & a multivitamin geared to the thyroid.

This sounds like a LOT of supplements. Does anyone know of a good-all-round-thyoid geared multivitamin?? If not, how much do I take of each?

I appreciate some of this is more health related, but any advice on recipes/diet would be fab.

Anyone else with the same condition? Any tips?

Please help!!

Ms_London xx

Comments

• Hiya Hun

Sorry to hear about your health issues.

I'll be very interested in this as I have a very underactive thyroid too, but am on thyroxine medication but is still low and on a high dose.

Thing is.....Im on Warfarin too ATM due to blood clots in my legs, so am unable to have high volumes of spinach and some other stuff.

Are you on thyroxine? I take Sanatogen Gold as advised by my consultant, but also have top ups of tons of other supplements but thats due to other issues as well.

I would make some kind of flapjack biscuits with the nuts and seeds.

Hope it works out ok.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hiya Hun

Sorry to hear about your health issues.

I'll be very interested in this as I have a very underactive thyroid too, but am on thyroxine medication but is still low and on a high dose.

Thing is.....Im on Warfarin too ATM due to blood clots in my legs, so am unable to have high volumes of spinach and some other stuff.

Are you on thyroxine? I take Sanatogen Gold as advised by my consultant, but also have top ups of tons of other supplements but thats due to other issues as well.

I would make some kind of flapjack biscuits with the nuts and seeds.

Hope it works out ok.

PP
    xx

Thanks PP - it's interesting to hear!! Might look into the Sanatogen Gold too!!

Yep on thyroxine - 150mcg - its every day life to me now to take it (and means I have an exemption certificate - whoo!!)

Since I cant make flapjack (even if I follow the recipe!!) I might have to stick to eating them "raw" - but good tip though, hehe!!

xx
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    PLEASE stay away from the medical issues involved here and concentrate on the recipes requested.

As a reminder please read our Medical Advice Sticky Post
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • ms_london
    squeaky wrote:
    PLEASE stay away from the medical issues involved here and concentrate on the recipes requested.

As a reminder please read our Medical Sticky Post

I appreciate some of this is more health related, but any advice on recipes/diet would be fab
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ms_london I think your best best would be to speak to your GP. They can refer you to a dietician who will be able to advice you on exactly what you should and shoudn't be eating and once you have this information it will be a lot easier for us to give you recipies that fall within those criteria :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • ms_london
    Perhaps, but I've already tried doing that (over past 25 years, well perhaps the past 10 years) :0) - and they are useless!! Oh well, such is the NHS!!

Thanks for your help Penny Pincher!!

xx
  • I get the vitamins on perscription too. Flapjacks are quite easy to make or maube you could do some muffins with them in?

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • ms_london
    I get the vitamins on perscription too. Flapjacks are quite easy to make or maube you could do some muffins with them in?

PP
    xx

Haha!! Can't make muffins either (they come out smaller than fairy cakes!!). Not much help am I? I blame the cooker :0)
  • ms_london, I have an underactive thyroid too (with medication as mentioned earlier) and far from being able to help you I want to thank you for suggesting the foods that help, I hadn't really looked into this at all I just take the pills and do nothing else.

From the list of benefical ingredients that you've given it looks like a risotto or pilaf type dish with the brown rice as the base to me. The lentils will make a soup and the pumpkin seeds are lovely toasted in a dry frying pan.
  • ms_london
    gemmaj wrote:
    I'll be watching this topic - I have an underactive thyroid, as does my mother and my dog - how that for running in the family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

The Diet Doctors were giving the advice that I listed in my post - it just goes to show that everyone is giving mixed messages - so how are we supposed to know who to listen to & trust?

Blimey, even the dog? haha!! Have you had it since birth too? Perhaps PM me and we can chat off board!

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport