Grandparent going into home (keeping savings)

Comments

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2018 at 3:02PM
    I hope that OP can use the advice given on here. There isn't a hard and fast rule about how far back a LA will look - it is OK to have given things away when you are fit and well, but not if you were looking to do so to avoid fees.

Of course, with the current situation with funded care, there are strong feelings. It is worth remembering that some elderly people still believe what they were told in the post WW2 years, that thy would be cared for 'cradle to grave'. They feel that is what they paid their taxes & NI for. The dividing line between nursing and social care is one that has always caused problems as well. I say this, not to enter into a debate about this position, but to offer an explanation to those who find it strange.
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 730 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    If your grandmother is worried about not having anything to her name when she wants to buy things for herself or her relatives, her normal state pension will presumably still be paid & this will probably mount up quite quickly?

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 February 2018 at 3:19PM
    Teapot55 wrote: »
    If your grandmother is worried about not having anything to her name when she wants to buy things for herself or her relatives, her normal state pension will presumably still be paid & this will probably mount up quite quickly?

Once the council starts to help with funding, the SP will have to be paid over to them apart from a Personal Expenses Allowance of £24.90 per week.

Once savings drop to £14,250, no more money will be taken from savings.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    In general I just don't understand why people feel it wrong to have to use savings/ sell a house to pay for care fees. If you move to a care home, that is your new home. Since when can you live somewhere for free?! A care home has to pay staff, provide heat, light, food , laundry, water etc.
    What is wrong is some people having to pay and some not. Should be the same for everyone.
    I don't mean to appear uncaring but I'm not sure why you want to 'protect' what in the scheme of things is a small sum. Why should it go to use on something other than care?

..... and you cant blame people for investigating the options that sustains any assets/savings for as long as possible.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    svain wrote: »
    ..... and you cant blame people for investigating the options that sustains any assets/savings for as long as possible.

I don't blame them although often the question seems to be about wanting to bypass the rules as they currently stand.

The problem lies IMO in that we separate health from social care. Then it becomes a lottery as to how the old person's need is defined. There's also the issue that people who've behaved responsibly and saved for their old age are asked to pay whereas those who've spent all their disposable income are not. The sooner we get some joined up thinking the better.
  • PINEAPPLE1234
    PINEAPPLE1234 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 2 February 2018 at 1:18AM
    Right ..
    Self fund until savings reach £23,500.
    Funeral plan is sometimes acceptable to reduce capital.
    Capital less than £14,250 is fully disregarded for charging purpose however for every £250 above £14,250 to £23,500 you pay a percentage back.
    Funding comes from local authority and NHS also contribution from state pension, private pension savings and investments. Certain benefits.
    Everyone is entitled to keep £24.90 a week from pension contributions.
    For full time care and who also have a health need should consider full NHS CHC funding. Non means tested payment of care.
    If having no savings above £23,500 individuals may be offered less expensive care establishments or/and asked for top up funding from family which they do not have to pay.

It is a complex area but lots of help available.

Some useful info
    https://caretobedifferent.co.uk/

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheetsfs10_paying_for_permanent_residential_care_fcs.pdf

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20032/legal_and_financial/96/paying_for_care/2

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support/funding-care/

Hopes this helps.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I can never understand about having to pay for a care home either. The money is no good to the person who owns it when they are dead. So why can't they use it to live in comfort in a nice home where they are looked after and safe without relatives worrying about it disappearing. The money belongs to the person going into the home it isn't part of an inheritance until the person is dead and until then it is there for spending by the owner on whatever they have left in life to spend it on.

I think the answer to some pay and some don't is to make sure that more people spend the kids inheritance on luxuries while they can still enjoy them rather than saving for a rainy day. The rainy day arrives when you retire.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 February 2018 at 5:43AM
    Anyone who is wondering why someone in a care home may need almost £25 per week spends when they are suffering from dementia & other things. Ah the joys of dealing with even good care homes. Teeth get lost, this is one of the first things you learn when they go into hospital for the first time & when you first find out they need to go in a care home. I spent an hour one day when supposedly visiting going round every ward my mother had been in trying to find her teeth, fortunately got them in the end.

The more a dementia suffered gets "disconnected" from their surroundings the quicker they deteriorate, so they need good hearing aids & I am talking 3 replacements in a year (£3k gone), you would not believe what can happen to them! Also all their clothes need to be washable at 60 degs, which is virtually impossible, so they get ruined & need replacing. This is not a lack of care but a hygiene necessity.

I am aware that this may appear like a rant but going into this - well none of it occurred to us. And don't get me started on the nightmare of visiting time
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    One thing i always notice when care home fees are mentioned and how to keep it safe, it's never the person going to the care home but relatives and one for thing, it's disgusting!!
  • pearl123 wrote: »
    I believe the can go back as far as they want to check if their has been any deprivation of assets. Ok they might not bother if it was in the 60's 70's or 80's but 2003 is not exactly a long time ago.
    Does anyone have a link which shows how far they go back?

It's over 7 years ago - and 7 years is basically how far back HMRC looks as far as I can tell. So it's pretty unreasonable to think any other bit of the "government" would look back further than that.

2003 is 15 years ago and a heck of a lot can change in 15 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure