Informing your family members of your assets

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Thank you for that KP.
    Maybe I have the terminology wrong.
    Totally agree, no more cattle class.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    All you need is a list of institutions with which you have accounts - you don't need to put down account numbers amounts product type or anything like that the executor will be able to find that all out. In any case the exact details are likely to change frequently if you start moving stuff around which a lot of us do
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    All you need is a list of institutions with which you have accounts - you don't need to put down account numbers amounts product type or anything like that the executor will be able to find that all out. In any case the exact details are likely to change frequently if you start moving stuff around which a lot of us do

I would include account details to cover incapacity. Someone acting as an attorney for you needs more info than an executor.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My mum has informed me of where all her assets are as I do her self assessment return each year for her online and have a POA for her.

Most of our assets are joint except for investments but I have a spreadsheet with all the details on which is in our safe. DH and both our daughters know the code.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • do163600
    do163600 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Part of the aversion is a poor understanding that common law marriage means nothing, and leaves women and children worse off after a split.

Maybe it's a good understanding, rather than a poor one?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

............. so start splashing some of your savings on yourself. I am somewhat younger than you, but part of my IHT reduction plan is to run down savings by going totally against the ethos of this site. No more flying long hall cattle class, no more cheap hotels, and good wines not plonk.
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Thank you for that KP.
    Maybe I have the terminology wrong.
    Totally agree, no more cattle class.

+1:T

But once you've flown business class long haul, you'll never be able to face economy again:o
  • mackemdave
    Options
    Puddylove wrote: »
    Really sad that so many people don't share their financial information for fear of their family's response.

I would trust my surviving parent, my sibling and my current partner, and they trust me (I have PoA for my parent etc.)

I'd also help my family out of they needed it (they don't at the moment), and they would do the same.

Is that not what family is for?

Is it?
    I gifted my mum a considerable amount of money with the understanding that she would leave it to me in her will when she died....She made the will and I was the sole executor.My brother and sister were both aware and in agreement with this.

When Mum sadly passed away I found out that her will had been changed and I was no longer the executor or the beneficiary...the new executor was my sister and her kids were the beneficiaries....not that there was much left of Mums estate when she died as the money had already disappeared from her bank account.Not only that but in Mums will she stipulated she wanted to be buried and had bought her burial plot..the executors cremated her...
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 8 December 2017 at 5:28PM
    Options
    Most of our assets are joint except for investments but I have a spreadsheet with all the details on which is in our safe. DH and both our daughters know the code.

Not directed at you in particular as I'm sure you'll have taken the right precautions, but a point that surprisingly few people realise is that if you're storing things electronically and then putting them in a safe, the safe should be properly rated fire proof for data for a decent amount of time and not just rated fire proof for paper.

You might consider cloud storage if you are going to give family the access codes anyway. Then they can access it from their own homes regardless of the status of you and yours.
    DH and both our daughters know the code.

I don't have a DH or daughters so I should probably give the relevent safe code to someone else like a trusted friend or parent... but at the end of the day if I'm dead and gone and there's a locked safe in my home, hopefully whoever is left behind are sensible enough to realise that they should bust into the safe (with the help of a decent locksmith if necessary) and see if there are any goodies inside (or useful bits of confidential information about my personal stuff)
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've done a list of everything which includes current contact information , account numbers , done in conjunction with a financial power of attorney so if im incapacitated for some reason that they have details easily to hand .
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    .Not only that but in Mums will she stipulated she wanted to be buried and had bought her burial plot..the executors cremated her...
    I would have thought that it would be not unusual for people not to have consulate any will before the funeral arrangements are in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure