Outraged at cancelation charges for car insurance

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    but it's cheaper to pay annually, otherwise you get into a cycle of debt and loans

Yes but who's got £1200 to pay in one go?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    paddedjohn wrote: »

Anyone with a spare £1200. I'd certainly pay it if that was my premium in order to save £132.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

Most people pay car insurance annually. A significant number do pay monthly.

Whilst many, particularly young people who have yet to build their wealth, do pay monthly, why do you think it unusual not to have just £1200?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If this was a change in your employment terms, i.e. travelling to different sites instead of the home base, and requested by your employer, shouldn't they be paying any out-of-pocket expenses?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Whilst you are correct that paying monthly costs more, looking at the monthly premiums of £111 could you afford to throw down £1200 in one hit?

Everyone should have some savings for big expenditures and if you don't even have £1200 then you desperately need to sort out your finances.

You need to adjust your budget to start building up some savings. Even if you didn't quite have enough paying in full on an interest free card would still be much cheaper, as long as you had a plan to pay it off before he 12 months and save for next year premium.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    takman wrote: »
    Everyone should have some savings for big expenditures and if you don't even have £1200 then you desperately need to sort out your finances.

You need to adjust your budget to start building up some savings. Even if you didn't quite have enough paying in full on an interest free card would still be much cheaper, as long as you had a plan to pay it off before he 12 months and save for next year premium.

Yes but that is in a perfect world Takman not everyone is that lucky to have the luxury of savings for whatever reason everyone's circumstances are different
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Faith177 wrote: »
    Yes but that is in a perfect world Takman not everyone is that lucky to have the luxury of savings for whatever reason everyone's circumstances are different

That's why if someone doesn't have the money they need to sit down work out a budget an go through every tiny detail of their finances to see where they can save money.

The large majority of people who spend every penny each month could easily cut back and build up some savings.
  • Faith177
    takman wrote: »
    That's why if someone doesn't have the money they need to sit down work out a budget an go through every tiny detail of their finances to see where they can save money.

The large majority of people who spend every penny each month could easily cut back and build up some savings.

I can see it is pointless trying to make you understand how much some people struggle to live month to month so I wont waste my time

However just to leave you with some food for though I was in the situation last year where I would have not a penny spare even after cut backs after our household lost £1400 a month overnight due to my husband being in a huge car accident leaving him with a brain injury and our savings had already been depleted caring for my mum in her final days battling breast cancer

Trust me sometimes no amount of sitting down and looking at your expenses is going to make any extra money appear.
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Faith177 wrote: »
    I can see it is pointless trying to make you understand how much some people struggle to live month to month so I wont waste my time

However just to leave you with some food for though I was in the situation last year where I would have not a penny spare even after cut backs after our household lost £1400 a month overnight due to my husband being in a huge car accident leaving him with a brain injury and our savings had already been depleted caring for my mum in her final days battling breast cancer

Trust me sometimes no amount of sitting down and looking at your expenses is going to make any extra money appear.

Just a thought, completely out of the blue, if your money is not stretching could you not cancel your trip to the Download festival in June, or your weekend to Poole in February or your holiday to Berlin/Rome in April and your trip to Belfast in March and the weekend in the Cotswolds for the airshow in June.

Or maybe look at reducing costs for your friend's hen do in Cardiff in August and the wedding in the Peak District in September?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73358129&postcount=19
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Faith177
    edited 1 December 2017 at 2:57PM
    HappyHarry wrote: »
    Just a thought, completely out of the blue, if your money is not stretching could you not cancel your trip to the Download festival in June, or your weekend to Poole in February or your holiday to Berlin/Rome in April and your trip to Belfast in March and the weekend in the Cotswolds for the airshow in June.

Or maybe look at reducing costs for your friend's hen do in Cardiff in August and the wedding in the Peak District in September?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73358129&postcount=19

Actually now the inusurance is settled and I have changed jobs and OH is working a small job part time we are in a much better financial position thank you hence why we are now doing these trips otherwise we would not be going. It took the TP insurer over 9 months to make us an interium payment and thats what caused the problem but as i said all sorted now

And I did say in my post that I was in the situation not that I still am so you digging through my post histroy wasn't really necessary (still a little confused as to why you felt the need to do that but ho hum)

All I was trying to do was point out that everyone is different and sometimes the luxury of savings is out of some peoples grasp no matter how much they try. Also with insurance costs constantly rising amongst other costs conected with motoring more people may find they need to turn to monthly payments rather than a lump sum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure