Advice on collecting money owed from a (former) friend....

Gurj247
Gurj247 Posts: 146
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
Hello one and all,

Thought i would ask peoples opinions on how you would handle the following, as tbh its been doing my head in on and off recently.

Basically, about 4/5 years back I moved into a Flat with a mate, things were going good, his and my work were going good so no problems what so ever.

However after about 2 years things changed and eventually we went our own ways, getting our own places, the problem is that because of his situation (he was made redundant and his new job didn't pay what they said they would) I ended up covering his part of rent and bills for about 3 months.

As a close friend he assured me that he would pay me back to money. (circa £1800) and at the time i had no reason to doubt him, as when we first moved in together he was earning twice what i was.

However it is now coming up to 3 years since then and after various attempts and agreements to pay me back the money it has not happened. We even agreed a payment plan... oh how niave i was/am (with regard to this person).

I have called him, messaged him, texted him, emailed him etc via various means but he refuses to take my calls (or call back) or respond to any of my messages, but i know through social media sites etc that he seems to be constantly travelling over the uk for one reason or another...

I have also spoken with some mutual friends (one who is the brother of this person) to tell them the situation in an effort to encourage my old mate to sort things out regarding the outstanding amount.

I hate putting my other friends in the middle of this situation, but i don't know what more i can do.

I have recently bought a house and could really do with that money... but who knows if i will ever see it again...
Date of Update – 08/04/19
Goal 1 – Reduce Mortgage - £120k/£120k = 100%:j
Goal 2 – Stupid Fun Car Fund - £11000/£30,000
Goal 3 – Savings – Rainy Day - £10000/£10,000
Goal 4 - Daughter Fund - Target £100/mth = £1444
:j:j:j

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Do you have anything in writing?
    When you agreed a repayment plan was that in writing?
    Any proof that you gave him the money and that it was intended that it was a loan and he would repay you?

Without that it will be very difficult for you to do anything. Even with something in writing then whilst you could consider court action, its often not obtaining a CCJ that is the hard part, but actually getting the debtor to pay you, especially if they move around a lot, have few assets etc.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ihave to agree with Tixy. If you have no proof that you loaned him this money it will be almost impossible.

If you havent, all I can suggest is that you forget it and get on with your life and chalk it up to experience.

Life is a learning curve.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • chalkie99
    chalkie99 Posts: 1,618
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gurj247 wrote: »
    but who knows if i will ever see it again...

I think we all know - you won't.

Sadly, most of us have been in the same situation and all you can really do is to learn from the experience and move on.

Try not to dwell on it too much to let it get it down but remember what happened if anyone ever needs a "favour" again
  • Gurj247
    Gurj247 Posts: 146
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks guys for the responses,

I do have some emails, text message conversations etc but tbh i know that i won't go down the court route. He does not have any assets etc to his name, he's the sort that once he earns it, he spends it.

I think that its quite amazing how relationships can change over money, sadly i thought that he was a friend... he's not...just a user...

I have pretty much written it off, but as always when i need cash this always comes into my mind.

I shall certainly in the future be very mindeful of who I lend money to (if anyone)...
    Date of Update – 08/04/19
    Goal 1 – Reduce Mortgage - £120k/£120k = 100%:j
    Goal 2 – Stupid Fun Car Fund - £11000/£30,000
    Goal 3 – Savings – Rainy Day - £10000/£10,000
    Goal 4 - Daughter Fund - Target £100/mth = £1444
    :j:j:j
  • Yes, sorry to say you probably won't see your money again. Just move on and out it down to experience.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Give it up, there is no way that you are going to get your money, so you might as well stop getting stressed about it. As has been said, put it down to experience.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • I have to agree that you probably won't see the money again, but to be honest, if you can afford it, I'd issue a writ against him in the county court and at least this former mate will get a CC judgement against him which will ruin his credit rating for the next six years.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • I have to agree that you probably won't see the money again, but to be honest, if you can afford it, I'd issue a writ against him in the county court and at least this former mate will get a CC judgement against him which will ruin his credit rating for the next six years.

Absolutely. That will screw his ability to get any kind of credit.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Its a shame you may never see your money after you helped him,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts