Solicitor charging for renunciation

Hi

Re-registered as I've forgotten my previous log in!
I wonder if anyone can help?

My Dad died recently, and left a straightforward will leaving everything to my Mum. She is an executor, and the solicitor he original created the will with is a second executor.

That solicitor's firm has been taken over by Slater & Gordon.

The will is very straightforward, and I've already done all the paperwork. We have asked Slater and Gordon to renounce their executorship, but they are charging us £350 for this.

From research, this seems very high - does anyone have any experience of this? Is it worth challenging?

Thanks

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    £350 for basically writing a letting is extortionate, but probably what I would expect from a bunch of ambulance chasers like S&G.
  • Thank you - that's what I expected!

Nice money if you can get it.....
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Ridiculous. Ask your Mum to check her will as well.
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    "My Dad died recently, and left a straightforward will leaving everything to my Mum. She is an executor, and the solicitor he original created the will with is a second executor."

So why did your father appoint the solicitors as executors?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    [QUOTE=securityguy;72999131_So_why_did_your_father_appoint_the_solicitors_as_executors?[/QUOTE]

It might be difficult for the OP to answer that as they can no longer ask their father. At this stage it's also probably irrelevant.

OP: Sorry for your loss.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ceejay76 wrote: »
    We have asked Slater and Gordon to renounce their executorship, but they are charging us £350 for this.

A firm that will charge that much to renounce their executorship probably puts a lot of pressure on people making their wills to appoint the firm as an executor.
  • "My Dad died recently, and left a straightforward will leaving everything to my Mum. She is an executor, and the solicitor he original created the will with is a second executor."

MEM62 wrote: »
    It might be difficult for the OP to answer that as they can no longer ask their father. At this stage it's also probably irrelevant.

OP: Sorry for your loss.
    Mojisola wrote: »
    A firm that will charge that much to renounce their executorship probably puts a lot of pressure on people making their wills to appoint the firm as an executor.

Thank you - the original will was written when his employer offered it as a service. I would imagine the solicitor at the time automatically inserted themselves in as an executor and positioned it as 'peace of mind, loved ones don't have to do worry etc' - it was at a time where the internet wasn't the all powerful research tool it is today and a generation that trusted solicitors. The original solicitor was taken over by Slater and Gordon.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would think that £350 is a whole lot cheaper than they will charge if actually allowed to be an active executor. It may sound a lot but it could be so much more. I suppose it feels a bit like you have your arm up your back but I would pay up with a smile & get my mum to check her will doesn't say the same.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ceejay76 wrote: »
    Hi

Re-registered as I've forgotten my previous log in!
    I wonder if anyone can help?

My Dad died recently, and left a straightforward will leaving everything to my Mum. She is an executor, and the solicitor he original created the will with is a second executor.

That solicitor's firm has been taken over by Slater & Gordon.

The will is very straightforward, and I've already done all the paperwork. We have asked Slater and Gordon to renounce their executorship, but they are charging us £350 for this.

From research, this seems very high - does anyone have any experience of this? Is it worth challenging?

Thanks

I'd have a google around to see if there is any way you can get the fee reduced. If their fees are high, I get on the phone and tell them so and ask why the are so much higher than their competition. I'd also remain polite with them as it usually gets better results.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    I'm guessing they are married and 'if there is no will' then it goes down the order (can't think of the name but it's on the givernments website) to his wife. I believe there's no list of wills either anywhere
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport