Frump to Fab 2016 - Lets make it AWESOME!!!

Comments

• Micropedi sounds such a good idea! I've just done my toes but could really do with getting my feet nicer in time for summer; when I was pregnant I could justify a pedicure every few weeks, as I just couldn't reach my toes, but now I can't afford it or find the time! There's some cheap ones on Amazon, does anyone have any recommendations?

Glad you liked the Bourjois powder maman, I've found it really handy. Maybelline seem to have discontinued the primer I like (in our local Boots and on Boots.com anyway), so I might switch to Bourjois for that too.

It sounds like you had an amazing time at the wedding LL :D Barcelona is lovely too, we went a couple of years ago, I'd love to go back.

Nice shoes indiepanda - I'll keep an eye out for Hotter on ebay, I tend to buy my New Look work ones from there as I think they're a bit overpriced new, but quickly turn up on ebay for a more reasonable cost :)

My OH has been away this weekend, it's just been me and the boys - we've had a very nice time actually, this evening I've re-coloured my hair, done my nails and am now taking some time out to write to all you lovely people! Can't remember the last time I actually relaxed once the babies had gone to bed. I've been feeling pretty rubbish recently, fallen off the Slimming World wagon and generally not been very energetic, perhaps this was what I needed.

Have a good week everyone! x
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    indiepanda wrote: »
    Hotter originally aimed at a much older market - they were definitely the kind of place my mother would shop for frumpy comfortable shoes. And they do still serve that market, but they've also started to do more stylish things, but more comfortable than the average shoe shop - heels that are wide enough to walk in, nice padded insoles etc.

I thought they looked very vintage and with comfort as well, what more could you want!

It's a new week ruby, so hope you get back on the SW wagon very soon. It's natural to fall off from time to time, it's getting back on that matters!

I'd recommend Groupon if you want to try any pampering treatment. I understand it might be difficult to find the time, but that'll definitely save you money.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    maman wrote: »
    I thought they looked very vintage and with comfort as well, what more could you want!

Exactly. I refuse to cripple myself in the name of fashion - spindly high heels only look elegant when you can walk properly in them and when you aren't grimacing with the pain of wearing them. And I find plain shoes a bit dull anyway, like things with straps to add interest (the fact it makes them easier to keep on is also a bonus!)

Even when I was young and skinny I was never comfortable in stilleto heels court shoes. Have always been a bit prone to my ankles going over... might be related to my flexibility. I have very flexible hamstrings / glutes so wonder if the ankles are a bit hyper mobile too.
  • pirateyqueen
    pirateyqueen Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post
    Needed some new grey jeans and found two pairs I liked in Topshop when I looked online. I popped into there on my lunch break and tried them on and really liked them both. I hummed and hahhed and decided to buy both (even though it would be a bit pricey). One pair however didn't have the price tag and when he entered the number manually they came up as £20 instead of the £40 I had expected! Very pleased! I'm sure that must have been a mistake but he did double check so I'm well chuffed!
    No more goo hoarding!

2018 UU: 9 IN: 1 TA: 0 Total: 58/67
    2017 UU: 50 IN: 16 TA: 2 Total: 42/78 2016 UU: 53 IN: 17 TA: 0 Total: 36/72
    2015 UU: 74 IN: 43 TA: 3 Total: 32/64
    2014 UU: 114 IN: 67 TA: 7 Total: 38/92
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    piratey I enjoy reading about everyone's, spending sprees. Even better when you get a bargain.

I used to totter around in heels when I was younger, especially when going clubbing. Then I started hanging out in more casual places and got so used to wearing flats, that I find heels difficult now. My life style make heels a less attractive option - a long commute to work plus young children. I wear wedges a lot, as they give me height, but are much more comfortable.

I've been eyeing up some culottes today. I've seen nice dark wash denim pair I'm interested in trying on. As I'm an inverted triangle, they help to balance my proportions. I've got a pretty good wardrobe of basics, so now I want to focus in getting a couple of key items each season, to keep me relevant. I think colottes could be the right item and as they suit my shape, I should be able to get away with them even when trends have moved on.

I'll report back once I've tried them on.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh the irony. After my shoe shopping spree I saw the podiatrist for a follow up re some pain I've been having in my knee / foot - not all the time but some of the time - and he's suggested I should wear orthotics for a while. My new shoes may stay looking rather new for sometime till whatever this issue is has properly healed! :(
  • maman
    indiepanda wrote: »
    Oh the irony. After my shoe shopping spree I saw the podiatrist for a follow up re some pain I've been having in my knee / foot - not all the time but some of the time - and he's suggested I should wear orthotics for a while. My new shoes may stay looking rather new for sometime till whatever this issue is has properly healed! :(

Oh dear! But it's worth getting it sorted especially as you enjoy walking so much.

chanie I used to wear heels all the time until I met my DH but he's a fast walker and our first home was close to town and I found myself trotting along to keep up! Now I have a selection of flats and wear what suits the occasion best. We often take public transport and walk to bars and restaurants so they come in useful. Fortunately I'm quite tall so I don't need heels for that reason.
    No dancing tonight as our teacher is unwell so catching up with some easy TV.
  • I used to love heels, not sure I'll be able to go back to them now I'm more used to flats though! Hope the orthotics sort out your foot pain indiepanda :)

Still not back on the SW bandwagon as I'm feeling quite rubbish - a van ran into the back of my car on Friday - thankfully it wasn't a big collision and no-one was hurt, but since then I've had terrible ear/ jaw ache, not sure if it's related. It's like wisdom tooth pain but I've had all mine out, so it's not that! Also now I have the hassle of getting the car checked (tow bar may need to be replaced) and buying new baby seats - hopefully it'll all go through ok on the insurance, his not mine!

Also OH was back from his weekend away yesterday, he wasn't feeling very well either (no sympathy from me!) therefore it was fish and chips for dinner - needs must sometimes…..
  • maman
    Also OH was back from his weekend away yesterday, he wasn't feeling very well either (no sympathy from me!) therefore it was fish and chips for dinner - needs must sometimes…..

:drool: nothing nicer than a fish supper from the chippy. I've had the odd fish and chips in restaurants and it's just not the same. Last year we had a fish supper for our wedding anniversary. I teased DH for being a cheapskate but I did enjoy it. Might do the same this year.:D

I'm sure you'd love to lose a bit more ready for any summer we might have ruby. I always find the way forward is to make a meal plan. It's as if it takes the decision away from me so if DH suggests a take away I just say no because I've got something else ready/defrosted.

Sorry to hear about the car. I'd get yourself checked over if the pain doesn't go soon.

I'm out for my regular (well every two months) carvery with friends this evening. I've perfected saying no thank you to the mammoth Yorkshires at the start of the counter but still find it hard when my serving spoon is hovering over the roast potatoes.:o

It'll be smart casual tonight so probably jeans and a long sleeved top with a jacket. It's bright here but hardly summery.:(
  • You're right maman, I'd still like to lose at least half a stone - feeling dreadful today though so anything easy is my first option!! Had soup and toast for lunch, plus some biscuits this morning :eek: as soon as I'm feeling better I'll be planning out my meals, just don't have the energy at the moment.

I've seen a UV gel kit on Groupon and am thinking of going for it, my friend has one and really likes it; my nails are so bad now because I wash my hands all the time, and I used to love having nice nails :(

Hope everyone else is having a good day - no sign of any sunshine here today!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport