Smart Meters - Ask me anything!

Comments

• Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    4legs wrote: »
    Sterlingtimes #85

So your Smart Gas Meter uses the old type Diaphram meter as the Flow sensor or is the new Smart Meter attached to your old Diaphram meter.... interesting

Oh! - does your IHD read/indicate the gas pressure after the main regulator

The new gas smart meter is Secure Liberty EG4v 10 with a J42 regulator replaced the older gas meter. Ovo was kind enough to provide me with the technical manual by email. The manual only mentions "diaphragm" once and indicates "synthetic".
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    beeringo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just thought i would help here with any burning questions you guys might have about the UK Smart Meter rollout. I've seen a lot of spurious information and speculation out there on the interweb along with (thankfully!) a lot of informed savvy people!

I've worked at the cutting edge of the industry for 5 years, for a Smart Meter manufacturer as well as a well known Electric/Gas transmission network operator, and have lived and breathed smart meters throughout, from a very technical backgound. For the past few months i spend a lot of my time in London with the DCC (the government's central organisation for the Smart rollout) sitting on various forums. It's a passion of mine both professional and personal!

Feel free to ask anything - i might just be able to help :D

Are National Grid gearing up to fit smart meters?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Retired_at_55
    Retired_at_55 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2016 at 8:57AM
    I apologise if these seem to be a stupid questions but I would be interested in smart meters when the new ones are introduced.

Do smart meter installations mean that the existing gas and electricity meters are completely removed ( physically) and the smart meters put in place of them? Or are smart Meters put in to remain as well as keeping the existing meters, please?

I ask because I have virtually no more space where my existing gas and electricity meters are situated. Are smart meters for both gas and electricity?

Again, I apologise if these are stupid questions.

Thank you.

Retired at 55
  • I apologise if this seems to be a stupid question but I would be interested in a smart meter when the new ones are introduced.

Do smart meter installations mean that the existing gas and electricity meters are completely removed ( physically) and the smart meters put in place of them? Or are smart Meters put in to remain as well as keeping the existing meters, please.

I ask because I have virtually no more space where my existing gas and electricity meters are situated. Are smart meters for both gas and electricity?

Again, I apologise if this is a stupid question.

Thank you.

Retired at 55

The old ones are taken away. The smart gas meter I have is smaller than the imperial meter it replaced but the electric meter is taller than the old dial meter I had. At a guess I would say its around 4 or 5 inches taller than many electric credit meters.
  • Thanks for the very quick reply, sacquascco - much appreciated. I would have a problem because my electric meter is in a purpose built very small meter cupboard with no spare space and my gas meter is in a tight space, very awkward, at the back of a kitchen cupboard.

Would this mean I would not be eligible to change when the new versions are available? Thank you again for replying.

Retired at 55
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 10:06AM
    Thanks for the very quick reply, sacquascco - much appreciated. I would have a problem because my electric meter is in a purpose built very small meter cupboard with no spare space and my gas meter is in a tight space, very awkward, at the back of a kitchen cupboard.

Would this mean I would not be eligible to change when the new versions are available? Thank you again for replying.

Retired at 55

I can tell you that a meter fitter will probably take one look at a gas meter tucked away under a kitchen cupboard and walk out saying there is not enough access. They do need enough room to work on the and the occupier should be taking the cupboard apart so there is enough room to get at the meter.
    I see this all the time when meter changes are needed, not just for smarts but for imperial/metric changes. Under the kitchen cupboards in corners is the worst place. Modern kitchen units get built around meters which were previously easy to get at, but the meter was there first .
    National Grid have told me that they have the right to cut a gas supply if the occupier cannot give fair access to meters on the grounds of safety. This would come about after numerous attempts by different fitters to get at the meters . The old Imperial meters will run out of their safety window if it is over , I think, 25 years old.
    If you cannot find those extra few inches in height to accommodate an electric smart meter than I suppose you may have to employ an electrician to fit a new backboard. Its not the suppliers job to make the room themselves. I m not sure if your local DNO will do this job free, its their equipment so its worth giving them a call to find out .
    It looks to me that you will have problems in getting the smart meters fitted. You have the right to refuse them anyway but you cannot refuse new dumb meters when its time to change them
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Thanks for the very quick reply, sacquascco - much appreciated. I would have a problem because my electric meter is in a purpose built very small meter cupboard with no spare space and my gas meter is in a tight space, very awkward, at the back of a kitchen cupboard.

Retired at 55

This post raises an interesting point -IF smart become mandatory in the future, who would carry the cost of "difficult" installations where space/access was a problem??
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Surely it would be up to the householder to make the space. I have friends who are going to have this problem because of, in one instance a new kitchen, which has left them barely able to read their own meter nevermind someone having room to change it. This should definitely be the householders problem.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    brewerdave wrote: »
    This post raises an interesting point -IF smart become mandatory in the future, who would carry the cost of "difficult" installations where space/access was a problem??

No one. The Govt/SmartEnergy GB has already said in evidence to The Science and Technology Select Committee that they have already identified 45,000 properties where smart metering will not be possible due to infrastructure constraints. In the main, these properties are tower blocks where meters have been installed in the basement/ and properties where there are other installation constraints..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 11 October 2016 at 8:45AM
    Hengus wrote: »
    No one. The Govt/SmartEnergy GB has already said in evidence to The Science and Technology Select Committee that they have already identified 45,000 properties where smart metering will not be possible due to infrastructure constraints. In the main, these properties are tower blocks where meters have been installed in the basement/ and properties where there are other installation constraints..

That is only for customers with difficult internet connections, nothing to do with meters tucked away under kitchen units where the occupiers have made the meters very hard to get at with their new kitchens. Its definitely up to the householders to pull apart their units. Its an age old problem which is still a big hold up in getting any new meters installed, smart or dumb.
    So far I have not heard of National Grid waving a big stick but they do have the rights of the "final solution " if push comes to shove.That is, disconnection on grounds of safety.Each supplier is fitting smart meters now so that will apply to each supplier also. Its not their problem.Smart meters are not mandatory but updating new meters is and always has been and if the occupiers have made the meters hard to get at, they have to comply and make them easy to get at.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure