Best sub-£200 mobile

Comments

• globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Thanks but at £319 - hardly a bargain

it is £228 on the link in my first post ....But to get it for about £240 after post and insurance requires a code and to go through quidco also a couple of weeks for delivery.

I am going to Asia at Christmas so ..hoping the pound hasn't tanked entirely I will see what it is going for in Malaysia after the usual haggling
  • Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 5:46PM
    In the range of up to £200
    Xiaomi
    UMI
    ElePhone
    KingZone
    CuBot
    DooGee
    Meizu

makes - models need to be looked at (Lenovo's are good, but flagship models are only ever so little much cheaper, than big branded ones) BTW Lenovo Phone branch is owned by Google... :)
    Others like Asus, Acer, OnePlus etc are producing great phones too, but those even more expensive, BUT still cheaper (vs price of hardware) than branded Samsung or Sony ones
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Lenovo Phone branch is owned by Google...

No

Lenovo now owns Motorola which may have been owned by Google some time ago?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ballyblack wrote: »
    No

Lenovo now owns Motorola which may have been owned by Google some time ago?
    Losing almost $10 billion in doing so....
    https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Google-buy-Motorola-for-12-5-billion-and-sell-it-off-for-2-91-billion
  • Atasas
    bottom line would be to forget the myth of quality being in accordance to name brand..
    only myth
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Atasas wrote: »
    bottom line would be to forget the myth of quality being in accordance to name brand..
    only myth
    What about reputation ?
    and warranties ?
  • Atasas
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    What about reputation ?
    and warranties ?
    MOST will last above and beyond couple of years regardless...
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 10:07PM
    In the range of up to £200
    Xiaomi
    UMI
    ElePhone
    KingZone
    CuBot
    DooGee
    Meizu

makes - models need to be looked at (Lenovo's are good, but flagship models are only ever so little much cheaper, than big branded ones) BTW Lenovo Phone branch is owned by Google... :)
    Others like Asus, Acer, OnePlus etc are producing great phones too, but those even more expensive, BUT still cheaper (vs price of hardware) than branded Samsung or Sony ones

BTW, Google has absolutely nothing to do with Lenovo, Google used to own Motorola but sold it, to Lenovo. There is no other connection.
    only myth
    MOST will last above and beyond couple of years regardless...

Sorry, as someone who dealt in those phones, the "sub-brands" from China don't last anything like the established brands, there are good Chinese brands, but not the super cheap ones, and you've recommended a number of them.

Asus, Lenovo Moto, OnePlus, Honor or Xiaomi, yes, the rest of your list I'm less likely to agree, I've seen any number of them break within the first year and warranty is non-existent, it almost costs more to send the phone to China than buying a new one, and even getting it to China doesn't mean it gets fixed.

The rest of your list I'd view as disposable junk, and you would have to just hope you don't have a problem with it in the first year.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport