cheapest place to live in Britain

Comments

• for many years my home town of billingham (TS23) has the honour of being the cheapest place to live - you can still buy a houses in tesside - middlesbrough for less than £40K.
    Everything is cheap:o
    Even the men :p

i think waterloo walk in sulgrave, washington (near sunderland) is the cheapest street in the country...although i wouldn't recommend you live there! Theres quite a few areas in sunderland that are still quite cheap though.

have a look on upmystreet.com
  • Try Shirebrook. North Derbyshire.

Still some very cheap property there (Ex Mining Town), Purchased a 3 storey 4 Bed Mid Terrace there 5 years ago for £18k, and there is still plenty of property sub £40k

Cheap food, several Food "Outlet" stores in the town centre sell Major Supermarket Close to sell buy overstocks for pennies (Ready meals that are £3.99 in the supermarket are often 3 for a quid), good cheap market in the town centre 3 times a week and boot sale on sat.

We stayed there several years, cheap downmarket and did the job whilst we needed it..

(it is a bit inbred, sorry it is!! Everyone is related, and no matter how long you live there you will be an outsiider unless you worked down the pit and your dad was in the miners strike!)
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ampersand wrote: »
    ################
    Most of Norfolk, even inland from Chelsea-on-Sea has become VERY expensive over the last 10 years.
    Sorry to disillusion you.

Yep! North Norfolk coast is really expensive and known as Chelsea-next-the-sea.
    The man without a signature.
  • As far as house prices go, try this website:

www.mouseprice.com

go to the map of property hotspots - the white/ pale patches are the cheapest ones.

Niki
  • how about gainsborough in lincolnshire you can get a 3 bed terraced for £35,000 and its being regenerated at the mo so it would be a wise investment.
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    woodstoke wrote: »
    how about gainsborough in lincolnshire you can get a 3 bed terraced for £35,000 and its being regenerated at the mo so it would be a wise investment.

And Gainsborough does have a railway station so you can get out of it quickly. (thank goodness!)
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • CARDBOARD city is the cheapest but a bit damp in the winter lol....
  • I'd go with Billingham too. Hartlepool isn't that cheap anymore, it has "re-development" but last time i was there it had all been closed-down.

The small mining villages on the coast south-east of middlesbrough are also v cheap (apart from car insurance?) used to be able to pick up a 4-bed house for 25k until a few years ago.

I've just come back from Tokyo and this country is stupidly expensive compared to Japan....
  • I'd back up Fulham Mark's view about Billingham
    LBM 2 - 27.05.09. Debt was £33224 + 1100:eek: OD.
    Car - was - [STRIKE]20867[/STRIKE] - now - Gone! :T Zopa - was [STRIKE]6800[/STRIKE] -now - Gone loan - was [STRIKE]1687 [/STRIKE]- now Gone! :T Student Loan - was [STRIKE]1850 [/STRIKE] - now gone!! - Barclay Card was -[STRIKE] £2000[/STRIKE] now - Gone OD - was 1100 - now - 900 :mad:
    Total - £0 :rotfl: + OD = 100% paid!!!
  • Stoke on Trent is a cheap place to live but the wages here are dire, but i suppose if you don't mind travelling to work you could commute to other cities as we are pretty central
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure