Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have not found the first few months as easy as envisaged.
    On the plus side though I have had more time to deal with my mother's recent surgery and my grandmother's death. When my father died in January and I was still working it was more difficult to get everything done and organised.
    However I still tend to wake early and still have dreams about missing school. A bit like grieving I suppose. However the two weeks in school invigilating were enjoyable and gave me some perspective. It was good just to work a few hours. I may do some occasional supply next term.
    I do worry about money though. It seems to be going ok at the moment, but I have feel a bit of a failure for not have more saved and invested. I also took a reduced pension by going early. I know that going early was good for my overall health but I feel I messed it up a bit. I do re-read my original post to reassure myself!! I think it is because some of you seem to have planned better and accumulated more. My sensible side does realise that I am being daft! My emotional side does not yet get it!!
    I am going to re-join my former fitness centre for the swimming again. I did also join the gym there a year or so ago but never went. However I have accepted that deep down I am not really interested in gym working out!!
    Last couple of days also had a nightmare with part of the water system in the house. Plumber returning tomorrow to hopefully sort it out. More expenditure.
    Don't worry overall I am ok . Its just been a tough year!

Many thanks for all your views, comments and opinions. Keep them coming. This is developing into a great thread!!
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Excelpaul don't fret my dear. You can always do supply/invigilate if you need to make more money and to be honest with you, although the money is important, our health is the no 1 priority . We cannot get this time back ever , we have to seize the day lol. I think losing your Father and your Grandmother and your retirement and your mother's surgery is a hell of a lot for you to cope with. Especially all in the same year ...Phew it is a wonder you can still stand . As for the prep for retiring ....well yes I suppose some of us are more prepared but it is all relative to what we want to do in our retirement. I think you are doing very well given the circumstances and I hope you realise the great favour you did for us all by starting your thread .Like you say this is developing nicely ...a wonderful work in progress , so well done young man and thank you .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bugslet wrote: »
    Is there anyone here that has retired and is single besides the OP, who is very recently retired and has had, unfortunately, quite a lot on his plate.
    No, but if you'll accept some comment from a complete bystander ...
    I have three concerns:

1. Leaving loyal staff, making them redundant.
    Obviously you have to do what's right for you, but might any of them want to do a management buyout, or is it worth trying to sell the business as a going concern, in order to avoid that? It might also help with the money ...
    2. Retirement alone.

The second does make me wonder, most early retirees have an OH. I have friends and have loose plans to expand my social life post retirement, but can't help but be concerned that I'll be cutting myself off somewhat. I have no family at all.
    My personal response to this is that if you have friends now, and plans to expand your social life, it shouldn't be a problem. I do know a few single retirees, and as far as I can tell it's not a problem: they have extensive circles of friends and interests, and gad about merrily, without having to refer to 'the other half' - or, indeed, being constrained by 'the other half' not WANTING to gad about or in some cases sadly being unable to join in the gadding about.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Is there anyone here that has retired and is single besides the OP, who is very recently retired and has had, unfortunately, quite a lot on his plate.

Yes, I'm single and I don't really have any family.
    My mother went into residential care about a year before I retired as a temporary measure but then I had her property to sell just about when I retired so I was very thankful for the time.
    She died some years ago, all of the family left are 2 older cousins who live 200 miles away and one cousin's daughter. Yes, there are other children but I don't keep in touch with them as they are farflung , have sproglets, have never been in my sphere! So I'm pretty much on my own.

I rely on my friends: I have an electic selection from primary school, senior school, college and then working in different places. The majority live all over the place - not quite Landsend to John O'Groats - but miles away. I have some local friends too. All are accessible on the phone.

It was quite a limited selection of folk who helped me last year when I had 2 x knee replacements but I got through!

I'm fortunate that although as a child we didn't have 2 half pennies to rub together- money was very tight- I am now fine. When you are used to saving and making do it stands you in good stead.
    I'm lucky now that I have money for cruising, a holiday home and my two beautiful trailies! and lots of lovely friends too. Although I mutter at this time of year 'cos it's dark I'm usually up around 7am so quick dog walk and then 3/4 hour swim... and then whatever that day brings.

Life is what you make it.
    If you are not sure exactly what you want may I suggest a 'bucket list' and a 'gratitude book' - you might surprise yourself.

The most important thing is that you do what you want, and that you enjoy it.
    Have fun folks. We don't know what is around the corner and there are no pockets in shrouds.............
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    pollypenny wrote: »
    dunroving, I did supply for the first year after retiring, including taking over from a young teacher who was ill. I enjoyed it greatly. I’d never do invigilation, though. Die of boredom or driven mad by my tinnitus.
    Interesting you should say that, I've suggested my OH should look into invigilation. Warned him he wouldn't be able to read or sleep (he's been known to nod off in church) but I thought he'd enjoy the thinking time. But his tinnitus might drive him mad too!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Katiehound you sound very together Great work! I do wonder what sort of Animal is a trialie lol I am thinking an Australian collie ? Yes ? Sorry for being so dense and nosy lol . Your life sounds just perfect !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • sukysue wrote: »
    Fatbeetle I bet that bread was the best tasting bread you ever ate!

It was, and funnily enough it was genuinely the best loaf I have ever made. Cause and effect?
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • Had a pretty restless sleep so decided to get up and go downstairs for a cup of tea at 4am......would NEVER have contemplated that when I was working......would just have lay stressing about being tired for work and watching the clock while doing a mental countdown till I had to get up! If I'm tired all day today then so what.....will just have a wee relaxing day and an early night to catch up!
    Quite agree with Dunroaving too that you need to let go from your workplace. I have found though that over the last couple of years a few of my old colleagues have changed their jobs or are doing different roles and as a result work is mentioned only in passing when we meet for coffee. I have also kind of pruned down the people I catch up with......if I haven't come home thinking I've had a lovely blether today I come to the realisation that sone people only had work in common with me and it's time to let go. Sounds callous but it works both ways and I want meeting up to be a joy not a chore for any of us. Probably they are relieved as well.....they do say that you have different friends for different stages in your life!
    If anything , I now know the remaing few better as we have time to chat about things that actually matter to us as individuals.......and another plus is that all these extra stamps on my coffee loyalty cards are mounting up nicely!!! I can always put a positive spin on money I spend now....haha!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 11:30AM
    @excelpaul I think it's only natural for it to take a while to get into a new retirement rhythm. I think it will take me at least 6 months to get my head round it. As for money, as you say, you can always do a bit of invigilating or you may find something when you least expect it and think I could do a few hours of that. It's a world of difference between working because you have to and working because you choose to.
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    No, but if you'll accept some comment from a complete bystander ...

Obviously you have to do what's right for you, but might any of them want to do a management buyout, or is it worth trying to sell the business as a going concern, in order to avoid that? It might also help with the money ...

My personal response to this is that if you have friends now, and plans to expand your social life, it shouldn't be a problem. I do know a few single retirees, and as far as I can tell it's not a problem: they have extensive circles of friends and interests, and gad about merrily, without having to refer to 'the other half' - or, indeed, being constrained by 'the other half' not WANTING to gad about or in some cases sadly being unable to join in the gadding about.

Of course, bystander, I will take advice; I see you giving other people good advice on the employment board:).

In brief, another company did ask if I was interested in selling last year, but the timing was wrong. Depending on contracts, the timing may be right in spring next year. Not my favourite company, but it would beneficial form a tax perspective to me and the lads would keep their jobs, though some would retire I think. Management buy out, I have two managers, one knows that I'm pondering, but he wouldn't want to take over, the other is very good at what he does, but doesn't have the wider ability. It's on the back of my mind and I'd suggest it to them before I approached the potential buyer.

Doesn't rule out me coming in one day (say tomorrow:p), saying I've had enough and decidng to wind up then and there.

I do 'enjoy' bieng a widow, in so far as the word compromise has been erased from my domestic vocabulary. It certainly is liberating.
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Yes, I'm single and I don't really have any family.
    My mother went into residential care about a year before I retired as a temporary measure but then I had her property to sell just about when I retired so I was very thankful for the time.
    She died some years ago, all of the family left are 2 older cousins who live 200 miles away and one cousin's daughter. Yes, there are other children but I don't keep in touch with them as they are farflung , have sproglets, have never been in my sphere! So I'm pretty much on my own.

I rely on my friends: I have an electic selection from primary school, senior school, college and then working in different places. The majority live all over the place - not quite Landsend to John O'Groats - but miles away. I have some local friends too. All are accessible on the phone.

It was quite a limited selection of folk who helped me last year when I had 2 x knee replacements but I got through!

I'm fortunate that although as a child we didn't have 2 half pennies to rub together- money was very tight- I am now fine. When you are used to saving and making do it stands you in good stead.
    I'm lucky now that I have money for cruising, a holiday home and my two beautiful trailies! and lots of lovely friends too. Although I mutter at this time of year 'cos it's dark I'm usually up around 7am so quick dog walk and then 3/4 hour swim... and then whatever that day brings.

Life is what you make it.
    If you are not sure exactly what you want may I suggest a 'bucket list' and a 'gratitude book' - you might surprise yourself.

The most important thing is that you do what you want, and that you enjoy it.
    Have fun folks. We don't know what is around the corner and there are no pockets in shrouds.............

Thanks Katie, it's good to hear from someone in similar circumstances.

I think I would be OK, I'm an only child, used to making decisions on my own, I suppose it's just a big step when 30+ years have been spent in work and interacting. I can be quite focussed on making friends when I need to - I've done it before. Sounds a bit ruthless said like that, but waiting doesn't produce results!

I have three dogs, so I'd certainly be out more with them. I get quite envious of the regular dog walkers that meet up during the week.

I have a bucket list of sorts, part of me wanting to give up work is to be able to do more, I just never have the time now. An extra 65-70 hours a week - can hardly imagine it.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bugs, as I said so many times before, join U3A when you retire. We have made so many friends.

There are loads of single members, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure