Mobiles.co.uk, can they be trusted?

Comments

• dirty_magic
    dirty_magic Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    It doesn't say it's refurbished, I'll double check to see if it's in small print. Thanks for the tip, I use quidco a lot!
  • The CPW guy lied. It's probably a cashback contract, so you need to know how those work and follow the rules. It's all I ever use. Try Mobile Phones Direct - quite likely to be cheaper.
  • preecey
    preecey Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 February 2017 at 7:17PM
    The person you spoke to at Carphone Warehouse was lying.

I've looked at the deal, and it's definitely a new phone and will come with 24 months warranty, which is standard for all new Samsung smartphones.

Providing that 2GB is enough for you each month, it's a steal. It isn't a cash back redemption deal, either - so you need not worry about sending bills in every few months.

Mobiles.co.uk are indeed owned by Dixons Carphone, and sell a lot of refurbished phones, but most of the phones they sell are new. The refurbished phones are clearly marked as such, and this deal is absolutely for a new phone.

If you can, go through Quidco as well to get some money back on your purchase.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 February 2017 at 7:57PM
    If you're not overly worried about the phone, have a look on eBay for a refurbished or second-hand one.

I pay £6.50 a month for unlimited minutes and texts, and 4GB/month data (after cashback).

Fifty quid up-front and £23/month over 2 years is over £600! My line rental in that time (at the same rate I'm getting now) would be £156, so if you're on a similar contract, you're paying £444 for the phone! Even more if you have limited free minutes and less than 4GB data.
  • The prices for the S7 seem to be crazily high for a phone that's almost a year old. I bought mine 6 months ago ( through an O2 refresh deal) but the prices seem to still be the same as when I was looking, if not higher.
  • esuhl wrote: »
    If you're not overly worried about the phone, have a look on eBay for a refurbished or second-hand one.

I pay £6.50 a month for unlimited minutes and texts, and 4GB/month data (after cashback).

Fifty quid up-front and £23/month over 2 years is over £600! My line rental in that time (at the same rate I'm getting now) would be £156, so if you're on a similar contract, you're paying £444 for the phone! Even more if you have limited free minutes and less than 4GB data.

I know it's usually cheaper to buy the phone up front but I don't have the spare cash at the moment. Most of them are £400-£450 on eBay anyway.

I'm wary about buying electronics on eBay too because we've been stung a couple of times in the past when we've bought things that don't work. I definitely don't trust the ones from HK for less than £200, seems a bit too good to be true.
  • They have some good deals. Looking at getting their 20GB, unlimited texts and calls for £11 a month on Vodafone after £108 cash back. Normally £20 a month.
  • Craig... just make sure you read the reviews for them before you venture. They are well known to mess about with the cashbacks... you have to send a form in particular dates with a copy of a bill, which they often refuse as not being suitable. Also often the cheques they send never arrive.
  • Marcio45 wrote: »
    Craig... just make sure you read the reviews for them before you venture. They are well known to mess about with the cashbacks... you have to send a form in particular dates with a copy of a bill, which they often refuse as not being suitable. Also often the cheques they send never arrive.

Oh dear someone else better to deal with then?
  • Eshul and dirty magic,
    It is not always the case that buying the phone upfront is cheaper.
    When the galaxy s7 edge came out i managed to get a deal for £34 a month. In 24 months that would make just over £800.
    The phone cost at the time was over £600 and considering you still need to get a sim only for at least £10 a month (with 2gb internet), i do think i got a good deal.
    Just need to do the maths.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure