stockmarkets -are we nearing the bottom or is there further to go ??

Options

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Ohh theres loads to go yet. Loads!
    Listening to your trolling never gets old.
    I said in another thread it will plunge below 5,500 - not far to go now eh.
    I don't remember you being so specific.

Still, even a stopped calendar is right every 6,11,12 or 28 years.
  • BrockStoker
    BrockStoker Posts: 917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 9 February 2016 at 12:56AM
    Options
    I've only been taking an interest in the markets investments for a couple of years, but it seems to me that usually in situations "like this" (where almost everything is falling), the correction is overdone since there are a lot of people panicking.

I have to admit I was a little spooked myself a few weeks back and sold my HOT shares, crystallizing a 20% (3% of my portfolio) loss. I took a bit of a gamble that the share price would continue to fall (which it has) and that I could re-invest the cash into other assets that will hopefully make up for this loss, and that I think will recover more quickly than HOT, namely biotech and Japan which are both heavily over-weighted in my portfolio right now.

I could be wrong in my thinking, but I plan to stick with what I have now (more or less) for the next 10-15 years at least before I consider de-risking, so I don't see it as that much of a risk.

Also, I probably shouldn't have bought HOT in the first place since it pays a dividend which I recently found out was taxable, so at least that is now dealt with and most of the cash is now reinvested. I still have about 5% of my portfolio in cash, waiting for further drops, but I think we are probably near the bottom now, unless everything spirals completely out of control (which I don't think is very likely)!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Still, even a stopped calendar is right every 6,11,12 or 28 years.
    I don't think it's that bad. If you ignore the content of AFOS's posts, she is actually quite a reliable Geiger counter for buying opportunities.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    frugal90 wrote: »
    Is there much further to go or are we reaching a good point to buy into the market??

Nobody knows if it will bounce or fall, so why not simply ask yourself, are happy with the price? My horizon is still about 20 years away, so I am happy with the price. I would be surprised if I looked back in 20 years time, and these prices didn't look cheap.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ohh theres loads to go yet. Loads!
    Oh dear. I'd better panic.
    I said in another thread it will plunge below 5,500 - not far to go now eh.
    Oh good - not really "loads" after all. Phew.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nobody knows if it will bounce or fall
    I do know the precise level at which the market will have bottomed, but I'm afraid I couldn't possibly disclose this on a public forum.

Indeed, that isn't the only bottom I refuse to disclose.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    I don't think it's that bad. If you ignore the content of AFOS's posts, she is actually quite a reliable Geiger counter for buying opportunities.

He just like having a dig at me. It's a bit like the 2 Ronnies sketch where Barker thrashes the pants of Corbett in a game of Squash.

https://youtu.be/TIOMECj0iQ0

To Bowly I have no idea and bungle through but make dosh.

I just won't tell him about my recent 25% gains on Glencore. Oops I just did

25% in about a month isn't bad eh Bowly!

(cue some sarchasitc essay retort)
  • El_Selb
    El_Selb Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thinking about throwing a few hundred quid that I won't need for a couple of years into a FTSE 100 tracker - can't really go wrong?

Since I bought nearly everything else I've got for more than it's worth now, I figure I should try and invest at a good price for once.
  • Procrastinater
    Procrastinater Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 February 2016 at 2:48PM
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    That article doesn't actually explain what it means for the Japanese equity market, so perhaps you could enlighten those of us who are naive about such matters as to why it should be viewed negatively and why Japanese equities haven't already fallen on the news.

"... Finally, the text offers in-depth coverage and analysis of the deflation trend that resulted in the bursting of the stock market bubble in 2000 followed by three years of stock market decline........"

".....he examines the overall economic impact of such events as escalating tensions and wars in the Middle East, the decade-long downward spiral of the Japanese economy, and global over-investment in technology stocks. .......... ".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intermarket-Analysis-Profiting-Relationships-Trading/dp/1118571606/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455024560&sr=8-2&keywords=intermarket+analysis
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Indeed, that isn't the only bottom I refuse to disclose.

Discretion is certainly a part of valour, even if not actually the best part (as Falstaff once noted in jest).

I think we're all grateful for the caution you've exercised in this particular instance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure