Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Comments

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,635 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    AC, i've just reread post 4097.

As your old solicitor is already aware of the other companies price could you not ask him to meet you halfway on the difference between his quote and theirs?
  • AC it was far more interesting than the novel I was reading. I will continue reading your adventures to see how it all works out for you and your friends on here.
  • Thanks worrier. Yes, I must confess, I am entertainment at the best of times :) . Nice having you here:)
  • harz99 wrote: »
    AC, i've just reread post 4097.

As your old solicitor is already aware of the other companies price could you not ask him to meet you halfway on the difference between his quote and theirs?

Thanks harz
    He said he could come down £100+ vat.
    I have to get my skates on. Probably best to use him .
  • Okay. As speed is of the essence and the fact that I won't have to travel to London to sign all important forms, I have just instructed my usual solicitor to go ahead via email, awaiting confirmation.

Looking back at how he handled the sale of my home in Twickenham , which was documented here, you will probably understand why.
    Plus, he is not call centre etc.
    Now to get prepared for payplan
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 February 2017 at 11:08AM
    Received letter in post from Palmer Snell.Formal notification of offer.
    All boxes blank , except conveyancing services c.p.l.
    Not impressed. So , I'm waiting for my solicitor to confirm , and then send them the details.

Just sent email to Palmer Snell , telling them I did not want to use their solicitors.
    I cc'd my solicitor and gave his details . He hasn't responded yet .
  • harz99 wrote: »
    Hmm, an unknown quantity with a questionable knowledge of contract law versus a known quantity with which you've already had a successful client relationship - know which I'd opt for. (But I'd also supply him the best quote you have from a Poole based solicitor as requested).

Even if it does cost another £200-300, then I'd opt for the existing solicitor.

Keep in mind with a new solicitor/Firm, you'll have to go through all the KYC (Know Your Client) / anti-money laundering details for opening a new client account - submitting passport, utility bill(s), etc.

Depending on how long it is since you used your own solicitor, you *might* have to do similar with their Firm, but they will probably need less as your solicitor will be able to verify he knows you and, as said above, you have an ongoing client relationship.
  • Yeah, all taken into account . What I could've been dealing with , is young clerks instructed by solicitors. Then there's the possible call centre approach. He has now been instructed .
    I will look for a surveyor , and will crack on. In about half an hour I have my payplan review. I'll keep you posted.
  • Good luck with payplan review AC and I think you are best sticking with solicitor you know so long as you don't have to keep going up to London to sign forms etc. If he is willing to drop a £100 or so that is good. I thought initially £2k was a lot but I see that includes stamp duty so not that bad.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Good luck with payplan.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts