Climbing the Mountain

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've got visions of these lists just evolving across the diaries now! :rotfl:

You're an awful lot braver than me on the confrontation stuff Misty - I just can't cope with it, my self-confidence isn't high enough, I always assume that if I say anything then the people concerned will just turn on me, instead. :o In fairness it's not a bullying situation - it's some cattiness that was started by a couple of others outside our group, but has escalated more than it should. The irony is that I was the person who was treated badly by one of those that started things in the first place, and yet now I'm the one who just wants to let it all go, and other friends are making that difficult! :rotfl:

Meh - people, eh?! :rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • The more you confront people the easier it gets, EssexH! I just got tired of all the BS and wanted some truth. Honesty makes things so much simpler. I wish I had been this way when I was younger, I used to bend under pressure too easily.

Things are really busy here, I have been staying off the computer for most of the day and getting things done. I've started trying to look at working on my goals as part of my job when I'm at home during the day, scheduling time to go for walks, cook healthy food, etc. I'm also telling everyone that this is the year I'm going to lose all the excess weight. I've never done it before for fear of looking a fool when I didn't reach my goals, so I thought I'd try something new. I'm taking it more seriously than I have ever before, and it does feel different this time. I've lost nearly 2lbs so far, which isn't much but is right on schedule so I am quite pleased.

Finances have gone t's up, we've had several family emergencies that have used up all the fund and more, so the rest of the month and next are going to be quite tight. We've not had to borrow but I am a bit concerned about making the rent. I know I will do it one way or another but it will be at the expense of something else important. I'm making progress on finding ways to bring in more money and should have something set up in the next few days that will help but the money won't actually be coming in until 30 days after it's all set up.

I'm still feeling positive, and know that these lean times are only temporary. :)
  • Hi Misty,

You're doing really well especially on the weight loss.

You are very determined, keep going.
  • You're absolutely right to take the slower steady approach with the weight loss though Misty - that's by far the best way to keep it lost, plus doing it by changing your lifestyle to one which includes moving more and eating healthily is sustainable in a way that a "diet" just isn't. Well done!

Brilliant approach on the financial stuff too - you know how to get things under control, and sometimes things happen which throw you off track - just not having had to borrow from anywhere is exactly where you need to be, isn't it!

Glad it's feeling as though things are going in the right direction!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Misty you are doing so well. 2lbs is a good loss, slow and steady is the way. It's tough when plans go awry, but you now have the knowledge and the determination to get through it.:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Thank you purplemo2, maddiemay and Essexh, I'm always grateful for your lovely support! :heart:
  • 2lbs is good nice and steady loss, losing plus 3-4 pounds a week is not healthy.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • Well done on the 2lbs loss, that is a great start.

I'm looking to lose excess weight this year too, been saying that since 2012 LOL

Dxxx
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Well done on the weight loss, absolutely agree that slow and steady is the way to keep it off!
    Really frustrating when there are unexpected expenses but focus on the fact this time you had money to cover it! Even if it drains the savings it shows progress!
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • Thank you all, I've lost another pound and am feeling good about it. It's going to be a long haul but I know it needs to be done if I want any quality of life when I am older. I had an appt with my Dr yesterday and he told me that in his experience, people who make up their mind to lose the weight on their own and figure out their own way to eat/exercise/live that is sustainable and enjoyable are the ones that keep it off in the long run. He wasn't putting down groups like WW or SW, but he did say he'd seen a lot of people regain the weight once they stopped going to the meetings. Maybe he was just trying to motivate me, I don't know! :p

Today is a planned NSD. I'm going to be working in the house, there is a fair amount of housework that has piled up while I've been concentrating on other things. This afternoon, once the general tidying has been done, I will get back to working on bringing in more money.

The sky is very dark and I'm wondering if we could be in for some snow. I don't have a snow shovel - I should probably invest in one before it actually does snow and they sell out. Maybe it won't be a NSD after all... ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure