DRO help

2»

Comments

• DorisTrousers
    DorisTrousers Posts: 548 Forumite
    Moral of the story on this and other threads seems to be don't apply for a DRO with StepChange, and certainly do not rely on a faceless online debt remedy tool to give you advice. I am still shocked that the FCA did not get them to shut that facility down permanently.
  • Thank you all for your comments.
    So do I include the ccj cos my mum pays it or not include it and let my mum continue to pay it
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Moral of the story on this and other threads seems to be don't apply for a DRO with StepChange, and certainly do not rely on a faceless online debt remedy tool to give you advice. I am still shocked that the FCA did not get them to shut that facility down permanently.

I think as a nation debt charity, stepchange cannot afford to give out incorrect information, is it just a case of certain individuals mis-interpreting the rules, or is it endemic within the company.

I will contact stepchange and ask them to comment on this matter.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    sarahl1904 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your comments.
    So do I include the ccj cos my mum pays it or not include it and let my mum continue to pay it

You have to include all debts, so you have to include it, let your ma save her money
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »
    I think as a nation debt charity, stepchange cannot afford to give out incorrect information, is it just a case of certain individuals mis-interpreting the rules, or is it endemic within the company.

I will contact stepchange and ask them to comment on this matter.

I personally don't think it's as black and white as that, but maybe because i know a few people that work in the DRO team there i can understand where the confusion is coming (along with a lack of common sense by the inidividual who OP spoke to).

We all know what intermediaries would do with the budget and apply the common sense, but people wont speak to an intermediary until they have been referred by an earlier advisor who has made the error.

My advice to OP would be to firstly go elsewhere, so that we're not all banging our head against the wall in frustration, but file a complaint with StepChange, they might then give the OP some explanation as to why they have done what they have...
  • Former_StepChange_Richard
    Former_StepChange_Richard Posts: 119 Organisation Representative
    Hi sarahl1904

Sourcrates brought this to my attention. I've sent you a private message in case you want any help with this.

Many thanks,
    Richard.
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    sarahl1904 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your comments.

Sorry, sarah, I've been away for a few days.

The ccj is a debt in your name so it goes into the DRO and you are not allowed to make payments to it.

Technically, your mum would be allowed to, but it makes no sense for her to do so. She can help you to pay the £90 DRO fee.

Either way, payments to the ccj are not an allowable expense so you must have less than £50 per month surplus, ignoring all debts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure