Insurer being awkward about claim

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    That's a pity.

If you had a certificate stating the diamond was 1.25 carat, colour E, VVS2 then they would have had to replace it with one the same quality.

Have you found an acceptable ring in F Hinds yet?
  • chocaholics
    chocaholics Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2017 at 8:32PM
    Bath_cube wrote: »
    Oops it's 0800 023 4567 not 027.

Many thanks Bath cube, Ive not looked at the forum for a while as I was under the impression from a poster that I didn't have a hope of anything better, but I will call and put my case to them. Will post if I have any luck with them.

Incidentally my valuation from F. Hinds states .75 carat diamond and 18 carat gold, £1995 and not another word.
  • Bath_cube
    Bath_cube Posts: 188 Forumite
    Next time I comment on my post it will be to let other members know if my claim was granted or denied. I feel I have given enough information for advice on this now. Oh well fingers crossed and what ever will be shall be.
  • Bath_cube
    Wishing you luck chocoholic:beer:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Next time I comment on my post it will be to let other members know if my claim was granted or denied. I feel I have given enough information for advice on this now. Oh well fingers crossed and what ever will be shall be.

Would be really good to know how it's finally sorted.

FWIW, I think your insurance company are not being fair limiting you to one shop for the replacement of your ring.
  • Bath_cube
    Thanks polly cat. I have had some private messages on here from other members who have had a similar problem with their insurer. I think it is likely I will be given a gemcheck card or cygnet vouchers which can be redeemed at most high street chains rather than just the one jewellery store. I never suggested I wanted a cash settlement from them and as other members have pointed out if you want the cash instead the insurers will give you a lot less. I'm not saying f hinds is rubbish as you can have a ring made to your own choice if required but I noticed some of their earrings looked a bit flimsy compared to my stolen ones.
  • sussexbhoy
    sussexbhoy Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mine where very high quality mappin and webb.

If you bought from Mappin & Webb then they should have supplied the GIA certificate with the ring which would give all the information you'll need about the diamond.
  • Bath_cube
    Ok. My insurers third party loss adjustor contacted me today with a cash offer of three thousand four hundred pounds. I told them I had never asked for a cash settlement however I was told that even if I accept vouchers or a card the offer remains the same. I couldnt possibly replace my rings,earrings or laptops with this amountil I have a access to pay too. What do I do here?.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ok. My insurers third party loss adjustor contacted me today with a cash offer of three thousand four hundred pounds. I told them I had never asked for a cash settlement however I was told that even if I accept vouchers or a card the offer remains the same. I couldnt possibly replace my rings,earrings or laptops with this amountil I have a access to pay too. What do I do here?.

Well if that's all your going to get then you can get second hand laptops and jewellery to reduce the costs of replacement.

At the end of the day metal rings with £6000 shiny stones in them or £100 shiny stones in them are going to look almost identical and do exactly the same job!. If you really cared that much about them you would have got them professionally valued and informed the insurance company of the value of each item.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

How do they arrive at that figure?

Do you have a single article limit on the policy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure