Avoiding child maintenance with CMS support!

Hi,
Does anybody know if an ex husband can avoid paying child support even though the CMS has his tax returns from HMRC? The CMS have said that if HE doesn't give them the information then he is not liable even though they know his income. He declared an income of 0.01p for the previous financial year!! Yes a whole 1p income and the CMS believed him.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    If his tax return says 0.01p then thats all they can go on. If you believe he has income from additional sources then you can ask them to look into it. You will need to provide them with something to go on though.
  • I obviously didn't explain it very well. 2015 to 16 he declared 0.01p
    2016 to 2017 his HMRC shows £17,000.00 which they have but they say that they can't use that information unless he admits it to them.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sheilagh wrote: »
    I obviously didn't explain it very well. 2015 to 16 he declared 0.01p
    2016 to 2017 his HMRC shows £17,000.00 which they have but they say that they can't use that information unless he admits it to them.

You're still not explaining it clearly, at the time he recieved the assesment form then indeed his figures could have been correct. His circumstances may have changed since then, so the CMS would have to ask again, why are you saying the CMS cannot use the current figures? It sounds more the issue with the CMS not the NRP.
  • jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    this revolves round his tax return and his employment status.
    at a guess i would say he was self employed but possibly did some employed work during the 2016/7 tax year. unless he has submitted his 2017 tax return then CMS would use his 2016 return for their calculations until they were told he was no longer s/e-with proof of current employment.
    to get them to look at this you would need to find out where he is currently working and whether he was s/e or employed. if he moved from s/e to employed they could then use his current income.
    the CMS system is to use tax returns and only by exception to do anything else and then only under certain circumstances so you need to do some digging into his current circumstances and let them know.
  • Child Maintenance + Self employment = PWC losing out.
    I've often thought that when it come to the minefield of child maintenance and self employment, there are too many ways to hide income and the CMS should look at lifestyle also. Given that Council Tax bands are readily available, make a charge per band of the NRP's property/ies. £10pw for a Band A, £20pw Band B and so on. Even for someone living in the top band property (H) it would only be £80pw. (I earn less than the average and pay more than £200pm.) I tend to get shot down in flames if I ever mention this idea. By NRPs presumably.
    (I also am PWC while the mother is a serial director of companies that are constantly founded and wound up...no maintenance ever appears)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure