PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Water is the last thing Scotland will run out of :D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    ....or Wales either.....:rotfl::(:rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's approaching 17 hours, since I plugged in the Heated Travel Mug.

The tea isn't cold, but it's not scalding hot either.

It's "hotish", by which I mean I can dip my finger in it, without it being too uncomfortable.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bet the tea tastes vile though, doesn't it Bob? Even my Thermos tea leaves a lot to be desired.

BTW, this morning I have been reading 'A Guide to the Bank of England's Real Time Gross Settlement System.'

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/markets/Documents/paymentsystems/rtgsguide.pdf

Since mid-April 2013, the Bank has provided a Liquidity Saving Mechanism (LSM) within RTGS. This LSM contains a ‘central scheduler’ that enables the CHAPS banks to manage their payment flows centrally. In particular,banks can decide whether their CHAPS payments should settle via ‘urgent’ or ‘non-urgent’ streams. For most of the time, RTGS will only settle urgent CHAPS payments, one at a time and in much same way as it has since RTGS was first introduced. However, every few minutes the LSM will suspend urgent payment processing and switch to a ‘matching cycle’ that will match and then simultaneously settle batches of offsetting non-urgent payments.

Offsetting payments will still settle gross from a legal standpoint but the simultaneous nature of the settlement means that banks will economise on the use of liquidity.

Looks like I was on to something.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If prices continue to go up across the board and we have to think about making choices to keep ourselves fed, clothed and warm what will be your personal priorities? What will be the things that you would give up other things to have on a regular basis? What will you give up? What won't you give up under any circumstances? What changes would you consider making to your lives that would make you more likely to be able to afford the things you need?

I have dropped to two meals a day rather than 3, I don't do breakfast other than a couple of cups of tea and have lunch rather earlier than we used to between 12.15 and 12.30 rather than 1 to 1.30 because I get good and hungry by then and we don't and haven't since installing the multi fuel stove used the central heating system in the house. We only use the boiler to heat the water twice a day. I got rid of the tumble drier years ago and dry washing indoors on wet or very cold days in the utility room as the boiler keeps it warmer in there than on a clothes horse in one of the other rooms. We've cut back on meat and cheese too and have smaller portions when we do have them.

I think it would be very useful to have folks input and ideas for making the most of what we do have now and in the future.

My one MUST have thing is Tea in any form! and a good store of firewood so I know we won't be cold.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not exactly prepping related, but I just picked up a 23" HP 2309v, LCD monitor, for £28. :cool:
    images?pictureId=41924010&pictureSize=W320
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I could live on 2 meals a day -and the same food in those meals every day - as long as it was food I liked.
    I won't give up tea for anything, I can't.
    I would eat less and heat more, if push came to shove. I don't fancy dying of pneumonia or consumption.
    And I wouldn't stress my face off about having a bath every day or washing my clothes every day - as I know fine people can stay clean and fresh without that.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I couldn't lower or turn off the heat to save money as it's a fixed charge in with my rent and I'm paying for it whether I'm using it or not. And if I tried the argument that I'm prepared to use less to pay less, I don't think that would fly.

I eat pretty cheaply (just in from Tosspots where I made out like a bandit on YS). Spend almost nothing on clothing, footwear, toiletries etc anyway.

One thing which would hurt to lose would be the telecoms. I really like my broadband and landline but I had to give them up to keep a roof over my head, I would just have to do it.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My question above has made me think 'What IS prepping?' and I guess it is everything from remembering to take an umbrella if the forecast is for rain through to digging a bunker for safe haven in the event of Armageddon actually happening and all things between. My take is to always be looking ahead at events that look a possibility and trying to second guess how they will affect us and make what preparations I can to lessen the effect they have on our lives. It's always going to be a guess and not always the right one in terms of what I achieve but one thing I DO know is that if I can make a cup of tea there will be at least one good thing in my life that day!!!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Do you know people who don't have a spare lightbulb in the house? Or who ignore the fuel gauge on their car until they're running on red? Who think that they'll never ever lose a job and don't need to have a rainy day fund? Who don't bother to have household insurance (and they could afford to do) because it's just a scam, innit? Who don't carry cash because everyone and their parking machine takes cards these days (nope)? Who go out in winter without a coat because it's uncool and end up shivering and/ or soaked to the skin?

I'm a cautious person. I look the 'wrong' way up one-way streets before crossing them. I used to live in a one-way system and still see people drive or bike against the one-ways several times a month. I dress appropriately for a changeable climate and never assume that a day which starts out glorious and dry is going to be the same a few hours later.

I trust my good sense but not necessarily that strangers will have any at all. Prepping is, to me, an outgrowth of caution and common-sense.

At work we get messages that such-and-such postcode is off supply for water or electricty. Sometimes, it's my very own postcode. I glance at it and shrug; if the utility is still down when I get home, I have preparations in place and won't be inconvenienced much at all.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills