Overseas Repayments - Evidence of Income

I am living overseas and have been making repayments for a few years on Plan 1 (1998-2005 loan type). I have now moved country and informed the SLC. They have in turn requested that I provide evidence of my income. As the repayment threshold is ridiculously low where I have moved I will end up paying a huge amount of my salary in repayments if the repayments are income assessed. Previously I just repayed the so called "maximum repayment amount" for the country I was in without providing evidence of my salary as this was much lower than 9% of my salary over that threshold (which was also ridiculously low). Now they are sending letters with threatening language saying I need to provide evidence of my income. Do I legally need to provide this? Before this did not seem to be the case. I would much rather just repay the monthly maximum as it is less than 150 GBP and costs of living here are quite high with few benefits from my employer to soften the blow.

Comments

• jnthn wrote: »
    I am living overseas and have been making repayments for a few years on Plan 1 (1998-2005 loan type). I have now moved country and informed the SLC. They have in turn requested that I provide evidence of my income. As the repayment threshold is ridiculously low where I have moved I will end up paying a huge amount of my salary in repayments if the repayments are income assessed. Previously I just repayed the so called "maximum repayment amount" for the country I was in without providing evidence of my salary as this was much lower than 9% of my salary over that threshold (which was also ridiculously low). Now they are sending letters with threatening language saying I need to provide evidence of my income. Do I legally need to provide this? Before this did not seem to be the case. I would much rather just repay the monthly maximum as it is less than 150 GBP and costs of living here are quite high with few benefits from my employer to soften the blow.

Yes you need to provide it unless you want them chasing and threatening you and possibly family as I've seen in the past.
  • _shel wrote: »
    Yes you need to provide it unless you want them chasing and threatening you and possibly family as I've seen in the past.

Thanks. But I guess what I am asking is what am I legally obliged to provide? And what are they legally entitled to do if I do not provide evidence of income, other than charge me the so called "maximum repayment amount" (although called "minimum repayment amount"on their website) for the country I am in? On their website in a table they list the repayment thresholds. They also list the maximum (aka minimum) repayment amount per country and say: "this is how much you would be liable to repay each month if you did not inform us of your actual income while overseas." This seems to imply the penalty for not informing of income is making these repayment amounts?
    Thanks. But I guess what I am asking is what am I legally obliged to provide? And what are they legally entitled to do if I do not provide evidence of income, other than charge me the so called "maximum repayment amount" (although called "minimum repayment amount"on their website) for the country I am in? On their website in a table they list the repayment thresholds. They also list the maximum (aka minimum) repayment amount per country and say: "this is how much you would be liable to repay each month if you did not inform us of your actual income while overseas." This seems to imply the penalty for not informing of income is making these repayment amounts?

You need to pay a % of your earnings. If you fail to do that and fail to prove you don't need to by giving them the required documentation they can fine you, send bailiffs after any addresses they have for you, take you to court for non payment.
  • _shel wrote: »
    You need to pay a % of your earnings. If you fail to do that and fail to prove you don't need to by giving them the required documentation they can fine you, send bailiffs after any addresses they have for you, take you to court for non payment.

Thanks. Do you have any evidence that this is the case. I am not aware of anything in the conditions of my loan or in law that says evidence of income HAS TO be provided if overseas. Rather that a minimum repayment HAS TO be paid if there is no evidence.
    Thanks. Do you have any evidence that this is the case. I am not aware of anything in the conditions of my loan or in law that says evidence of income HAS TO be provided if overseas. Rather that a minimum repayment HAS TO be paid if there is no evidence.

You realise the law isn’t split into law in Uk and law if overseas
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Note the last sentence
    http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/RPIPG001/RPIPS001/RPIPS006/REPAYMENT_BOOK_EN_D.PDF

While you’re out of the UK, if you don’t
    keep your account details up to date or
    respond to our requests for information
    or evidence, you may be charged a
    fixed amount which could be higher
    than the repayment amount due based
    on your actual income. We may also
    ask you to repay the full amount of
    loan, plus interest and penalties, in one
    lump sum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors