Mother in-law terminal diagnosis - travel insurance cover?

Hello,

We found out 1 month ago that my mother in-law has been given a terminal diagnosis and was given a few months to live.

We have got a holiday booked in one month's time (booked a year ago) and an annual travel insurance policy that was taken out last August.

I just rang to find out what we would be covered for in terms of cancellation or curtailment if something happens before or whilst we are away and was advised that we may be covered for cancellation but not curtailment as we were aware of the terminal diagnosis before we went away.

Does this sound right?

The policy booklet states the following but to me this reads about knowledge when taking out the policy and booking the trip?

Important Limitations under Section 4 -
Curtailment and / or Section 11 - Cancellation

This policy will not cover any claims under Section 4 -
Curtailment and/or Section 11 Cancellation arising directly
or indirectly from any pre-existing medical condition
known to you prior to purchasing this policy or booking any
trip (whichever is the later) affecting any close relative,
travelling companion who is not insured under the policy,
or any person with whom you have arranged to reside
temporarily whilst on your trip if:
1. a terminal diagnosis had been received; or if
2. they were on a waiting-list for, or had knowledge of the
need for, surgery, in-patient treatment or investigation at
any hospital or clinic; or if
3. during the 90 days immediately prior to the
commencement of the policy or prior to booking any
trip (whichever is the later) they had required surgery,
in-patient treatment or hospital consultations.

We obviously don't know how long she has got and we really don't want to cancel as likelihood is she has a bit longer but it will also be difficult going away knowing that we will have to find the money to get home if the worst happens and completely lose out on the rest of our trip as there will be no refund for what we miss :-(

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• You booked the holiday before the diagnosis. You held the policy before the diagnosis. Were both purchases also made before she started lining up medical appointments?

My reading is that you should be covered for curtailment.

Escalate within the insurance company. I'm not an expert.

Also, identify who operates flights from your destination back home. If there are any exceptionally cheap fares available now (eg £9.99) for while you're away you could book them and no show if nothing unpleasant happens.

Or accept rushing back to see a body isn't really productive. I was away when my mum died. While it was a sombre week I felt I was serving my family better by staying with them than getting home to .... well, just be sad.

What are MIL's thoughts? She might want you to stay put.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear about your MIL.

I read it that you should be covered for curtailment.

Has your MIL discussed the holiday with her doctor? If the Doc doesn't want her to go on holiday, the insurance may be invalid.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • It is more about being there to support my father-in-law before or after it happens.

It is our last chance to take a term time holiday before little one starts school so we really can't cancel and re-book for later in the year (and cant afford summer holiday prices) and who knows when would be a good time to go!

I will escalate with the insurance company!
  • Sorry to be clear - this is not my MIL going on holiday with us - it is me, my husband and the kids! She is not in a fit state to travel we just don't currently know whether it is a matter of weeks (putting the holiday in jeopardy) or months she has left.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello,

We found out 1 month ago that my mother in-law has been given a terminal diagnosis and was given a few months to live.

We have got a holiday booked in one month's time (booked a year ago) and an annual travel insurance policy that was taken out last August.

I just rang to find out what we would be covered for in terms of cancellation or curtailment if something happens before or whilst we are away and was advised that we may be covered for cancellation but not curtailment as we were aware of the terminal diagnosis before we went away.

Does this sound right?

The policy booklet states the following but to me this reads about knowledge when taking out the policy and booking the trip?

Important Limitations under Section 4 -
    Curtailment and / or Section 11 - Cancellation

This policy will not cover any claims under Section 4 -
    Curtailment and/or Section 11 Cancellation arising directly
    or indirectly from any pre-existing medical condition
    known to you prior to purchasing this policy or booking any
    trip (whichever is the later) affecting any close relative,
    travelling companion who is not insured under the policy,
    or any person with whom you have arranged to reside
    temporarily whilst on your trip if:
    1. a terminal diagnosis had been received; or if
    2. they were on a waiting-list for, or had knowledge of the
    need for, surgery, in-patient treatment or investigation at
    any hospital or clinic; or if
    3. during the 90 days immediately prior to the
    commencement of the policy or prior to booking any
    trip (whichever is the later) they had required surgery,
    in-patient treatment or hospital consultations.

We obviously don't know how long she has got and we really don't want to cancel as likelihood is she has a bit longer but it will also be difficult going away knowing that we will have to find the money to get home if the worst happens and completely lose out on the rest of our trip as there will be no refund for what we miss :-(

Any advice much appreciated!

I think that this proves yet again that the people who answer telephones are not trained to respond to anything more than the most basic of enquiries. From the words that you quote, it is very clear that the exclusion applies equally to cancellation and curtailment.

Anyway: you asked for advice, and all I can say is what I would do in your situation. I would take the holiday: there are compelling reasons for taking this holiday at this time. I would also research ways of getting home quickly from the holiday destination, so that if you did need to come back early you would know what to do and would pay no more than is necessary. I would of course make an insurance claim, but accept that it might be declined (although following their complaints process would probably yield a reasonable pay-out) and so take care to spend no more than necessary. In the long term you will remember whatever part of your holiday you manage to enjoy, and of course being with the rest of your family during a particularly difficult time. The amount of money that you are likely to lose (whether or not some of it is repaid by insurance) will really not make any great difference, and after a couple of years will be completely forgotten.
  • Does your husband want to go on the holiday? If it were me I would give my husband the option of staying with his Mum instead and going on holiday with the kids myself and then liaise with insurance travel company to adjust this. I then wouldn't cut the holiday short as don't think it would be best for the children. Obviously very difficult situation but just another option. I know my husband would want to be with his Mum.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does your husband want to go on the holiday? If it were me I would give my husband the option of staying with his Mum instead and going on holiday with the kids myself and then liaise with insurance travel company to adjust this. I then wouldn't cut the holiday short as don't think it would be best for the children. Obviously very difficult situation but just another option. I know my husband would want to be with his Mum.

The permutations are endless, eg family going but perhaps husband returning alone early...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure