John Lewis mattress quality issue

lalitadrolia
lalitadrolia Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 18 October 2016 at 12:18AM in Consumer rights
[FONT=&quot]Editing the post to get some facts straight (after I husband saw this post).
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We bought the mattress from John Lewis Stratford store. During our visit I had mentioned the type of bed we had (ottoman with slats) to the salesman and distinctly remember him mentioning that the mattress is supported.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After the second inspector’s visit we went to John Lewis Stratford store again. We met a sales person and explained our situation to him stating that we wanted a firmer mattress in exchange. He was quite helpful and even had us test out other mattresses and earmark one of them for an exchange. He told us not worry about the inspector’s report and that he would talk to his manager and get this worked out. There would be some amount deducted and of course we would have to pay the difference for the higher costing mattress (we had chosen Ortho 1800 for exchange). To which I agreed provided the deduction was reasonable.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He called couple of weeks later saying John Lewis can offer an exchange for another mattress after deducting 50% from the value of the existing mattress.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Note: The store is not saying that a bed with slats is an issue, they are saying the distance between two adjacent slats is more than recommended in our bed. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I had requested an exchange and never once asked for a refund (which anyways they haven’t offered). I have been willing to pay for the difference in amount however a 50% deduction does seem way too high for mattress which is not even 6 months old.[/FONT]

We purchased a John Lewis Ortho 1600 mattress for £750 in April 2016. as we wanted a firm mattress. After about 3 months it went very soft and springy as opposed to firm. We reported the issue in the store. The after sales team sent a mattress inspector after about 3 weeks. He did a few checks and few days later we were called and told that the mattress is still as firm as new so nothing can be done about it.

We disagreed and they sent out another inspector. This guy did not do any checks, just looked at the mattress and the bed and said nothing is wrong with it. When I disagreed he changed his stance and said the gap between the slats in our is more than recommended and that's why the mattress has gone soft.

Any help in this matter will be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    50% plus you keep the mattress? pretty good.

You want 90% PLUS the mattress? Thats never gonna happen.
  • The point is we bought a specific ortho series mattress because w need a firm mattress due to back pain issue. I don't care about getting 50% back and keeping the mattress as I'm not looking to make money out of this. What I need is a good quality mattress for the price I paid. To lose £375 for no fault of mine seems unfair.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm just guessing here but is an " ottoman bed" the best thing for someone who needs a very firm mattress? Surely they are relatively flimsy?
  • We needed storage as we live in a small flat in London. The point is we had mentioned this to the salesman and he said that's not a concern at the time of purchase.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    OP can you indicate which mattress this is.
  • John Lewis new ortho 1600 pocket Spring mattress king size
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    John Lewis new ortho 1600 pocket Spring mattress king size

That mattress has 1 single review [which I thought may be yours until I read it]. It is too hard according to the purchaser.

If the mattress isn't faulty then I can't see there is much you can do. It certainly does sound like your bed frame rather than a fault with the mattress.

The JL bed buying guide says:
    If you have a good quality bed frame then just invest in a mattress. If you've a divan base, we advise buying a complementary mattress and base together for proper support

http://www.johnlewis.com/buying-guides/mattresses-buying-guide

I don't wish to sound disagreeable but perhaps your bed frame isn't a quality one and is the reason your mattress isn't comfy? I would never buy a mattress without the recommended frame/divan.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 October 2016 at 7:18PM
    What I need is a good quality mattress for the price I paid. To lose £375 for no fault of mine seems unfair.
    As others here (and the John Lewis inspectors) have pointed out, the fault appears to be with the base not the mattress.

If you want to take this further, you'll need to arrange an independent inspection of the mattress. Of course, if this does not agree with your assessment you will have paid out for nothing.

You also state that you specifically told the salesman that you would be laying the mattress on an Ottoman, but that's just your word against their's and I doubt any court would find in your favour if the base is plainly unsuitable.

I think you need to be purchasing a different base for your mattress with the partial refund you've been generously offered.
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    As others here (and the John Lewis inspectors) have pointed out, the fault appears to be with the base not the mattress.

I think you need to be purchasing a different base for your mattress with the partial refund you've been generously offered.

I think this is sound advice and mirrors that of The Sleep Council who state
    "Buy base and mattress together.
    [FONT=Frutiger LT Std 45 Light,Frutiger LT Std 45 Light][FONT=Frutiger LT Std 45 Light,Frutiger LT Std 45 Light]At the very least, make sure you try mattresses on a similar type of base. The two are designed to work together and a change of base will affect the feel and performance of the mattress". [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Frutiger LT Std 45 Light,Frutiger LT Std 45 Light][FONT=Frutiger LT Std 45 Light,Frutiger LT Std 45 Light][/FONT][/FONT] http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/pdf-downloads/bed_buyers_guide.pdf
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You could try to contact Hypnos, who make the mattress and ask their opinion on the slats, and speak to Jl again about the discrepancies in the two reports if anything new comes up.
    http://www.hypnosbeds.com/index.aspx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport