PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Anyone brought on the same street as one they are selling?

Options

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Almost

Currently building a new house 2 doors up the road from our old one. Objective being to downsize for retirement, and building a near passive house standard build that you would not get from a developer.

It obviously shows we are happy with the location.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We did it once - better house, the type we really wanted but wasn't available when we bought the other. Worth it to us as the time, although costs of moving were much lower then.

Our current neighbour on one side used to live on our other side.

I know of someone who moved literally next door - pair of semis so mirrored layout and they preferred it that way round apparently.

It happens (or maybe we're all a bit weird round here :))
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know of somebody that did it. It was just round the corner though, although the same small/new estate.

They bought at the peak, then wanted a different one, so sold at a loss back to the developer to buy a different one just round the corner 15 months later.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes, we bought our friends' house, offset behind ours, so we moved most of the furniture over the back fence.

It was ironic, because their other neighbour had planted leylandii behind our garden so we thought we'd either have to kill them or move. By buying semi-detached to him, we were then on the sunshine side, which was a much better way round.

Our former home and garden gradually disappeared behind the neighbour's evergreen shield, but we didn't really give it much thought. We could see the top of it, but it no longer registered as anything to do with us.

The guy with the leylandii is still there. So are the trees. He was a model neighbour for 21 years in what was a great house....and garden.
  • charlie792
    charlie792 Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i once ended up living next door to my old house (renting not buying) but that was only because my original place was a houseshare and our next place was the whole house.
    The way our numbers ran though (odds and evens the same side) so the number was just 1 up also which I think confused people when I changed my address.
    MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
    Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 £104,800
    Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

• Debtslayer
    Options
    If it's right house for you and you like the area then why not?
    You know the neighbourhood and the nieghbours and if you didn't like area you wouldn't think about staying there
    Also I would say it looks good to prospective purchasers r current house as you on like the area enough to want to stay in it
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036:eek: Target MED: 2026 ;)
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124 :money:
  • Ithaca
    Ithaca Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our neighbours did exactly this... moved from a semi-detached about 100m up the road to a detached. They love the area and the road, have lots of friends here, and now have a bigger house... win/win all around really.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My next door neighbour did. The removal men wheeled their washing machine round by hand on a trolley. They knew the area, they knew which house they wanted and they went for it. Seems sensible to me.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes, we've thought of doing the same. Our location's great but there's bigger houses near us we wish could move into! It'd be like extending or structurally improving your house without living through the admin and construction hassles stretched out over months or years!
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When we relocated we rented No.10 for ten months and then bought No.23.

When I was 9 my parents moved from No.7 to No.41 which, due to the road layout, actually faced each other across about 40 metres of road. They moved the day England won the World Cup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure