Dear Diary

MeenaM
MeenaM Posts: 320 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 11 August 2019 at 12:39PM in Debt free diaries
Day 1 ....and we're off! so here is my list of income outgoings and debts, I have not included my husband's as for the moment I am concentrating on getting rid of my own debt ,

so I have filled this in and copied here

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information
Number of adults in household........... 2
Number of children in household......... 2
Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details
Monthly income after tax................ 1300
Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
Benefits................................ 222
Other income............................ 137
Total monthly income.................... 1659

Monthly Expense Details
Mortgage................................ 0
Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
Rent.................................... 0
Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
Council tax............................. 0
Electricity............................. 0
Gas..................................... 0
Oil..................................... 0
Water rates............................. 0
Telephone (land line)................... 0
Mobile phone............................ 71
TV Licence.............................. 14
Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
Internet Services....................... 0
Groceries etc. ......................... 150
Clothing................................ 0
Petrol/diesel........................... 50
Road tax................................ 15
Car Insurance........................... 19
Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 20
Car parking............................. 0
Other travel............................ 86
Childcare/nursery....................... 100
Other child related expenses............ 0
Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 8.6
Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
Buildings insurance..................... 19
Contents insurance...................... 0
Life assurance ......................... 0
Other insurance......................... 8.78
Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 20
Haircuts................................ 15
Entertainment........................... 0
Holiday................................. 0
Emergency fund.......................... 0
kids swimming........................... 14.5
kids dancin............................. 16.67
kids saving............................. 50
national trust.......................... 9.55
joint account........................... 400
Total monthly expenses.................. 1087.1

Assets
Cash.................................... 0
House value (Gross)..................... 0
Shares and bonds........................ 0
Car(s).................................. 1500
Other assets............................ 0
Total Assets............................ 1500

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
next...........................117.......6........ .29.9
aa.............................860.......25....... .19
barclays.......................4812......110...... .19
sainsburys.....................425.......10....... .18
virgin.........................4130......41.8..... .18
Total unsecured debts..........10344.....192.8.....-

Monthly Budget Summary
Total monthly income.................... 1,659
Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,087.1
Available for debt repayments........... 571.9
Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 192.8
Amount left after debt repayments....... 379.1

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
Total assets (things you own)........... 1,500
Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
Total Unsecured debt.................... -10,344
Net Assets.............................. -8,844

Created using the SOA calculator at https://www.stoozing.com.
Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

I really want to figure out the best way of paying off the credit card debts , the AA is 0% until 13 December 2017 , The Sainsburys is 0 % until 20 Februrary 2018 and the Barclays is 0% until 1 April 2019

Next- £117
AA- £860
Sainsburys £425
Barclays £4800
Virgin £4138

total £10340
Atm I am paying £280 towards the credit card debts
** DH debt total £17,000 **
Took on extra hours so income increased to £1780 per month and DH had raise in Jan 2019 so £2,500
I need help with either snowballing or high interest first , when the credit cards revert to interest charged they wil be about 22.5 %

any help , advice or encouragement will be greatly appreciated :j
paid off £27,527.47 debt free journey began Nov 2017 DEBT FREE 13.09.2019!! EF £3500/£5000

Comments

• Someone much smarter than me will be along with debt advice but I just wanted today well done. It took me ages to start a diary but I ma so glad I did. Stick with it and you will get rid of your debt :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • MeenaM
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thank you Doingitanyway!

I also will add that I am switiching banks with the B account and getting £250 in a few months and I have switched to a sim only deal for my phone so the phone will decreased by £25 in December and i intend to put that towards the debt
    paid off £27,527.47 debt free journey began Nov 2017 DEBT FREE 13.09.2019!! EF £3500/£5000
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 November 2017 at 8:30PM
    It looks like your next account is the most expensive so you should pay that off and ideally close the account. They are notoriously expensive. Then tackle the AA credit card, Sainsbury's and Barclays in that order. You may have a few months interest to pay on both the AA and Sainsbury's but as the balances are relatively low I would not worry about moving them. Put your £250 towards the AA card and just pay minimum on Barclays.

So November pay £117 to Next, minimums to Barclays and Sainsbury's and rest to AA. December pay minimums again on Sainsbury's and Barclays and the rest of the £280 plus hopefully bank switching fee to AA. I think you should then be able to clear AA in January and then tackle Sainsbury's. Close the credit cards down as you repay them. You don't need four credit cards.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    If you use your £250 bonus and put £305 each month towards the debt once the phone deal changes then I think you should clear all your debt within 20 months so around July 2019.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MeenaM
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks Enthusiastic , I needed that clarity , I was getting mixed up about the various snowballing etc but that makes sense and i will follow what you have suggested
  • MeenaM
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I have now put my information into a snowball calculator and will pay off the higher interest first i have also added one of DH's debts as it is in my name although was to pay off a debt he had so it will be added and i have worked out we can pay it off quicker by using the snowball method , i know what i am doing now and printed off the calculation for what i need to pay , i will be able to pay this off in 22 months all being well. I will have a cash injection in April 2018 so will use that for the debts and means i can stick to the 22 months goal .

It has given me a headache working it all out but i think i finally understand it

i just want to get on with it now and am looking forward to the next pay day so i can start!
  • Hi Meena

Good Luck! I'll be following this diary!

I think personally I would focus on the Next Account first as I'm guessing its the highest interest and quite a low amount so it will feel good when its paid off and gone. :)
    07/11/17 £8199.31 Debt :eek:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Another vote for Next first.
    Anything you can sell to help you along?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • MeenaM
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thank you so much for the comments , yes I am def going to go for the Next first .

I have three items on eBay but no interest yet I also have some dvds and books I can sell

I have a hair appointment booked in for next week with the colour it comes to £60 but I can’t do without that it’s a hairdresser I trust and it will be a pick me up especially as I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed today , also had to buy £9 tracksuit for daughter for school I hadn’t budgeted for this month will be tight

I am also doing surveys for YouGov I’ve got 450 points so far need 5000 for a £50 pay out

The other thing is we had a break in last month to one of our sheds and items taken the insurance excess is going to be £150 :(

Thanks for the support
  • MeenaM
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I popped into Asda today as I needed to drop off a prescription so thought while i was there i would get the bread and bread rolls we needed, i would usually shop at Aldi and avoid anywhere else if poss, so i got the Asda bread which was good at 39p however i needed to wait for the prescription and not having a bag my daughter wanted to hold the bread, got home and the bread was no where to be found seems she had left it on a chair in the pharmacy area ! it's rankled with me but what can you do , DH is getting another one on his way back from work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure