It's not a lot, but it's enough

Comments

• Hey everyone,

I'm sat at home listening to a Ted Talk and its a very interesting one titled "How To Gain Control Of Your Free Time". She starts by telling a story of a woman who had 6 kids on her own and a full time job and she didn't have any spare time. Until there was a leak in her bathroom and over the course of a week she had spent 7 hours in trying to solve this leak. The point of the story? You can find time for those things which are important.

She then gave an example of how to find out what should be important to you by imagining you're having an end of year work review this time next year and 2017 was the most successful in your career so far - what things would be said at that meeting? What 3 things did you do to make it the best year possible?

Lastly she used the example of the traditional letter that is usually sent around Christmas time to distant friends and family which updates them on what's happened since the last time they spoke (probably a year ago). Imagine writing your letter in December of 2017 - what things would be said in that letter? What are the 3 main things you got up to in that year?

Using the above, she suggests writing 3 headings; work, relationships and self, and then filling those with what you want to say by the end of next year and then fill them out further with smaller steps to achieve them. I like that idea. The imagery has struck a chord with me. I'll do some thinking and put something together on here and we'll see where I am in a years time.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Wow that's quite inspiring. I've just sat here thinking of 3 things for each. Maybe you get start a separate thread and see if people want to join in.
  • Might be a good idea actually louby. I'll put some more meat on the bones and I might just do that :)
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That sounds very interesting, and I agree whole heartedly about being able to find time for things that matter. I do quite a few of the things on the Boost Your Income board and often try to interest friends in them. Quite often I'm met with either 'but it's just pennies for lots of time' or 'I have no time for that', though I notice they have time to watch tv series etc. I'm not saying that they should do as I do (how boring would that be), just that as you say, we all find time for the things we want/need to do.
    Saying that I am stretched at the moment, self-employed job plus extra hours of allegedly part time job, christmas stuff and trying to declutter another couple of rooms ahead of changing one to an office for OH and another just needs painting but is the room where stuff gets dumped. It will all get done, I'm just not sure by when.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£335.00 (67%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£065.00 (14%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• All about priorities Joey, I agree. You certainly sound like you're keeping busy anyway!

It's been a busy and spendy few days. Works Christmas night out on Tuesday which was technically a free night however, my card was used as a tab to be claimed back on expenses. £103 I won't see until January. Didn't think that one through well enough, I'll blame the red wine.

My finger has been off the pulse the last couple of days with my spends. Nothing crazy, I simply mean I've not been recording them on YNAB. So I'm going to try and go for a few NSD's in the build up to Xmas in order to catch up on my statements etc.

I've done some thinking and I think I need to invest in some clothes. I've got shirts that are too small and I don't really have a formal jacket, which is needed as I wear smart clothes to work. Again though, it's the cost. I anticipate I'll get some money for Xmas although the plan was to fire it all into the savings account, I might keep some aside for the sales.

Not got much planned for the next week or so, so I should manage to chill and collect a few NSD's.
  • Good evening everyone,

Late Christmas Eve check in for me. Been a busy one with work this morning then went for a nice meal with the immediate family.

The journey home was discussing property and I explained that 2017 is the year I wish to move out. I've out grown living with the parents and I've been saving so I am determined to take the plunge. When I got home, my mum and I looked on Rightmove and we discussed budgets, what I have saved and what I'll have by summer time and she encouraged me to hold off for one more year!! Save up a bigger deposit which will reduce my monthly out goings when I do eventually buy a place.

I get the logic, I really do, but I just can't. I'll be tight for cash when I do buy a place but it's something which I'll learn to live with. And since I've been saving, I'll be used to having less disposable cash anyway.

I'm sure if Martin Lewis read this, he'd tell me to save more but I almost feel guilty at my eagerness to move out and get my own space. First world problems, eh?

Anyhoo, I anticipate I'll pop back in tomorrow, but if I don't I hope all of you lovely folk who read my boring posts have a lovely Christmas and I wish you all the best for the new year.
  • louby40
    Merry Christmas Speky - have a great day!
  • Merry Christmas to you Speky. :xmastree:
  • Good morning,

Back into a routine today as I’ve returned to work. The place is dead, hardly anyone in the office and I don’t think I touched the brakes on the journey in here either!

Need to get the head down and organise my finances in advance of the new year. Reluctant to start a fresh with YNAB so I’ll abstain from spending for a few days to allow my bank statement to catch up and then check the two are matching. In saying that, tomorrow I have my standing orders coming out for savings which will total £550, a new record.

I was fortunate to be given some money from santa and I decided to buy some much needed things in the sales (online to avoid the queues). The rest has been allocated for future spends. Felt slightly guilty and not just putting it all into savings straight away however as I said, I did NEED some new underwear, socks and shirts for work and if there’s a time of the year I’m allowed to treat myself it should be at Christmas, or more specifically, in the Boxing Day sales.

Today I have a meeting with my boss to discuss my own personal career goals for 2017. He’ll feel grateful for me asking for his thoughts on it, so I’ll get some brownie points, and I’ll also get a better indication as to what he’s looking for me to achieve in the coming year without it being something which he can hold me to as I already have separate targets that I am getting judged against. It’s a win win for me. By the end of today, I should have a clear list of my goals for 2017 and the steps needed to achieve each. I’ll post them up here so I am accountable however on top of that, I’ll print it off and have it next to my mirror so I see it every morning.

I’ve been warned today will be a quiet one in work, what with most people still of work, but as always I’ll keep myself busy and productive. I’ll pop back either tonight or tomorrow.

Happy Thursday.
  • louby40
    Hope your meeting goes well Speky. Shall look forward to hearing what your plans are.,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback