Travel Agency Fees not refunded for BA cancelled flight

Hi,

I was one of the thousands of people affected by the BA IT crash. I booked my flight with a travel agency (travelUp). When the flight was cancelled, the travel agency said that they would only refund the ticket price (~£800) but keep the booking fees (£100). In their terms and conditions (that can be found in their website: travelup ... terms-and-conditions) they state:

“Should your flight be cancelled your rights and remedies will be governed by the airline's conditions of carriage. As a result you may be entitled to: … (c) Receiving a full refund which we receive back form supplier/airline….”

I am a bit confused by this sentence: on the one hand they say "full refund", which is clearly not what I am getting. On the other hand they say "which we receive back form supplier/airline". I was wondering if anybody knew if I am entitled to get the booking fees back. My point is that (and this may be wishful thinking) that as I did not get the transaction was faulty, I should not be charged at all.

Thank you for your help,

Best wishes,

jmgl

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BA will have refunded the full flight cost to TravelUp. It is them that will be withholding their service fee so you would need to take this up with them. Yes another reason to avoid dodgy agents and book direct with the airline
    Have you claimed your EU261 compensation direct from BA?
  • They mean a full refund of the ticket price which they receive back from the airline, not their booking fees. It's not the agents fault that the flight got cancelled any more than it is yours. The transaction wasn't faulty. It was BA systems that were faulty. If they refund booking/admin fees then they've worked for nothing.

If you'd booked direct with the airline (always recommended) instead of through some third party then you wouldn't have been charged any extra fees.
  • jmgl
    jmgl Posts: 3 Newbie
    No, I did it through TravelUp
  • jmgl
    jmgl Posts: 3 Newbie
    Yes, I guess that is the case. The reason is often that tickets are cheaper through travel agencies.
    Thank you
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jmgl wrote: »
    No, I did it through TravelUp

check the T&Cs you agreed to when you made your booking (you may also want to check out some reviews in case you are tempted to book with them again)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure