Used Car Faults

CLDM98
CLDM98 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 6 July 2017 at 8:33PM in Motoring
Hi,
I bought a used Ford Fiesta 07 plate Zetec Climate about a week ago. Thought it best to have a check done on it at my local garage to make sure all in working order. They turned up a number of issues most of which were minor, the serious problem was there appeared to be a small brake fluid leak around a clip, which the garage have tightened and it seems to have stopped. The other issue is that the aircon isn't working. The car was advertised as having aircon and didn't mention any faults. Just wondering what to do next, was quoted £50 to regas aircon and put in dye to check for leaks but have had no work done yet. Car is supposed to have three month warranty.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Go on, if i must i will bite...

It does have aircon. Just non working aircon. Did the advert state ice cold fully working aircon?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,874
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ten year old car with non working aircon? Get it down to somewhere that will do a vacuum test and re-gas if it's not leaking but won't charge you if there's a leak. If there is a leak, then you might go back to the seller to explain that you've found a fault.
  • Maybe next time you buy a car do all your checks before buying.

Also how much did it cost, trim level, mileage etc.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,388
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you tried going back to the seller and telling them the air con doesn't work?

That should be your first port of call and then you can decide what to do next based upon their answer.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Go on, if i must i will bite...

It does have aircon. Just non working aircon. Did the advert state ice cold fully working aircon?

Car most likely didn't say fully inflated legal tyres either but you don't expect them to be flat or running on cord.

If it's advertised as having air conditioning then a reasonable expects to be able to use the feature. If it doesn't work it shouldn't be advertised as having such.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    Forumite
    edited 7 July 2017 at 4:38PM
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Car most likely didn't say fully inflated legal tyres either but you don't expect them to be flat or running on cord.

If it's advertised as having air conditioning then a reasonable expects to be able to use the feature. If it doesn't work it shouldn't be advertised as having such.

Depends on the price paid. Ive bought cars with no wheels. Wheels having been worth more than the car (blown engine) the seller sold them and just wanted the car gone. I had an engine for the car and stuck some wheels one and trailered it away.

As for bald / legal tyres thats for the buyer to check.

If you get a pressure gauge out and check the tyres on cars being sold i recking you will find a fair few with barely legal tyres and more than you think with pressures as high as the max pressure on the tyre sidewall.

Quite a few think that 65PSI stamped on the side of the tyre is the normal pressure.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bobbymotors
    bobbymotors Posts: 746 Forumite
    When I was selling cars, if we had an older car with non working aircon that had a more costly problem than a simple regas then I would deliberately not mention it in the advert.

Then if a month later the customer called and said the aircon didn't work I would say that I never even knew it had aircon, and never advertised it as so.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898
    Forumite
    treboeth wrote: »
    Maybe next time you buy a car do all your checks before buying.

Also how much did it cost, trim level, mileage etc.

The OP has put trim level helpfully in his ummm OP. Zetec Climate. Zetec is the trim level obviously the climate bit is likely a reference to a special edition that included free climate control.

I'm in the school of thought that if the ad mentioned air con, I would expect it to be functioning as the ad is using air con as a selling point.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    was quoted £50 to regas aircon and put in dye to check for leaks but have had no work done yet.
    Better to get the seller to do that, so they can't blame anyone for a bad repair. Aircon is something many people can live without, so it could have been broken for years. Depending on what is wrong, fixing the A/C could cost more than the car is worth ; but although the garage could sell a non-aircon car, they shouldn't sell it to you.

If the garage had any sense ( but no ethics ), they'd have waited 3 months, and hoped the buyer didn't notice the bad aircon for 4 months +
    That they didn't, suggests they didn't check it, rather than it was deliberate.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Depends on the price paid. Ive bought cars with no wheels. Wheels having been worth more than the car (blown engine) the seller sold them and just wanted the car gone. I had an engine for the car and stuck some wheels one and trailered it away.

As for bald / legal tyres thats for the buyer to check.

If you get a pressure gauge out and check the tyres on cars being sold i recking you will find a fair few with barely legal tyres and more than you think with pressures as high as the max pressure on the tyre sidewall.

Quite a few think that 65PSI stamped on the side of the tyre is the normal pressure.

No.

It's dependant on description

Presumably a car with no wheel and a blown engine wasn't advertised as having 'excellent tread' or being a good runner for example
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure