PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    I think I'd be rather concerned if local EA's had me down as a ''hot buyer''.... EA speak will interpret that as a desperate, gullible mug who will pay over the odds.
  • pollyannaL
    pollyannaL Posts: 127 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2017 at 11:09PM
    Tiners wrote: »
    I think I'd be rather concerned if local EA's had me down as a ''hot buyer''.... EA speak will interpret that as a desperate, gullible mug who will pay over the odds.

The EA can have me down on their books as whatever they want, as long as they are contacting me about properties! Even if 'hot buyer' title worries you, (i am a FTB and very flexible with timeframes), the EA is not making any contact with me anyhow so it doesn't make sense. Even if they think I am the 'desperate mug' - they STILL aren't contacting me :rotfl: The EA can think i am gullible, but i've done my budget inside-out and only I know what I can afford, and what property I am willing to pay a bit more for....so that doesn't concern me in the slightest. I not going to panic buy a property on the basis of what an EA tells me. My only worry is how can I get a foot in the door to viewings before properties sell!

Hopefully this week will be a better week on RM (fingers crossed!)
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    LKRDN_Morgan Posts: 308 Forumite
    strange thing happened this weekend. Newly listed house came up. Viewed it offered on it. EA then rang to say house we offered on 2 weeks ago now wants to accept our offer after previously rejecting it. Oh and new house accepted our offer. Said they'd give me an hour to think about and they'll ring back. In hindsight I wish I'd said I need to sleep on it. New house is beautiful but the location doesn't do it for me. Old house is slightly smaller with 1 less bedroom, smaller garden and smaller drive but the location is perfect.

Ended up going with the new house despite my gut telling me old house. After an hour I felt sick. Like I'd made a huge mistake. Spent all night worrying

Rang EA next morning. Had a mini meltdown. Said I'd changed my mind and really wanted old house. New house was a mistake etc etc

Anyway upshot is old house accepted our original offer. I don't feel sick anymore! :beer:

Moral of the story? Trust your gut instinct
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    strange thing happened this weekend. Newly listed house came up. Viewed it offered on it. EA then rang to say house we offered on 2 weeks ago now wants to accept our offer after previously rejecting it. Oh and new house accepted our offer. Said they'd give me an hour to think about and they'll ring back. In hindsight I wish I'd said I need to sleep on it. New house is beautiful but the location doesn't do it for me. Old house is slightly smaller with 1 less bedroom, smaller garden and smaller drive but the location is perfect.

Ended up going with the new house despite my gut telling me old house. After an hour I felt sick. Like I'd made a huge mistake. Spent all night worrying

Rang EA next morning. Had a mini meltdown. Said I'd changed my mind and really wanted old house. New house was a mistake etc etc

Anyway upshot is old house accepted our original offer. I don't feel sick anymore! :beer:

Moral of the story? Trust your gut instinct

We had a previous house come back to us and accept our offer, got home another 4 doors along the street had come up. Dropped everything for a viewing the following day. Offer accepted a few days later but OH hadn't seen it, so for several days we had offers accepted on both (different agents fortunately). Went with the second one in the end.

You're right about gut feeling. We had an offer accepted last year and almost immediately, I got a cough that I get when I'm stressed. I ignored it but it went on for weeks. In the end, the vendor messed us about trying to retain ownership of a path and only giving us right of way over it. We pulled out of the purchase, the cough went away. That house wasn't right for us, but I was trying to ignore my gut/cough.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• katebl
    katebl Posts: 637 Forumite
    House I've been keeping an eye on for the last 2 months swapped front view for garden view as RM main picture last week - this week has dropped the princely amount of 1.54%. Wonder if it will sell now...?! (We would need a 9% reduction from initial asking to afford it). Apart from that really low volume on RM, hardly worth checking!
  • jessy-eve
    jessy-eve Posts: 39 Forumite
    Hey all, have not posted since I shared with you all we had found a house and had an offer accepted. Well 12 (long and stressful) weeks later and we have exchanged contacts :) keys on Monday!! Woo. Finally. Keep up the searching all. We got told we had to compromise and that we were being to fussy but ended up waiting for the right one and it (eventually!) happened! Good luck x
    #27 - Save 12K in 20189£/£ :T
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    I'm not actively looking to buy right now but still a bit of a RM & Zoopla addict, I've got numerous search areas that probably make up about 25% of the entire UK! Including most of the highlands and west coast of Scotland, most of North Wales and much of NW England... number of RM and Zoopla alerts I've had so far this week?... ZERO!!

Stock levels and new instructions, especially at the lower end of the market, appear to be none existent, in fact Zoopla appear to be so desperate to advertise something (ANYTHING!) that they're even sending me emails trying to flog glorified garden sheds.....

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/featured-homes/6-sensational-summer-houses/?utm_source=content&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=zoopla-20170621&utm_content=mainbody&utm_term=img#pBPb8tJbDrdMI8i9.97
  • alchemist.1
    alchemist.1 Posts: 860 Forumite
    pollyannaL wrote: »
    The EA can have me down on their books as whatever they want, as long as they are contacting me about properties! Even if 'hot buyer' title worries you, (i am a FTB and very flexible with timeframes), the EA is not making any contact with me anyhow so it doesn't make sense. Even if they think I am the 'desperate mug' - they STILL aren't contacting me :rotfl: The EA can think i am gullible, but i've done my budget inside-out and only I know what I can afford, and what property I am willing to pay a bit more for....so that doesn't concern me in the slightest. I not going to panic buy a property on the basis of what an EA tells me. My only worry is how can I get a foot in the door to viewings before properties sell!

Hopefully this week will be a better week on RM (fingers crossed!)

In the type of market you are describing they dont/wont need to contact you. They will be getting calls within minutes/hours of the property being put on sale on RM.

The only time you will get chased up is when they have a property that hasnt had any viewing booked in (and there will be reason for that)
  • pollyannaL
    pollyannaL Posts: 127 Forumite
    In the type of market you are describing they dont/wont need to contact you. They will be getting calls within minutes/hours of the property being put on sale on RM.

The only time you will get chased up is when they have a property that hasnt had any viewing booked in (and there will be reason for that)

yes, this is true. One EA is ringing me about properties which aren't shifting. I get so excited thinking they will be ringing about a pre-rightmove house...but no!

RM is extremely quiet at the mo...wonder when things will pick up? All the houses are being reduced quite frequently now. Rang another EA on Monday who said they have a shortage of houses and nothing in my preferred location coming up. :(
  • alchemist.1
    alchemist.1 Posts: 860 Forumite
    pollyannaL wrote: »
    yes, this is true. One EA is ringing me about properties which aren't shifting. I get so excited thinking they will be ringing about a pre-rightmove house...but no!

RM is extremely quiet at the mo...wonder when things will pick up? All the houses are being reduced quite frequently now. Rang another EA on Monday who said they have a shortage of houses and nothing in my preferred location coming up. :(

Depends on the starting prices. If its a case adding another 10% plus onto the price which a lot of EA's were doing every year then reducing isnt actual reduction.

Things will pick up when there is less uncertainty or when people are desperate to sell.

Hope it goes well and you find the place you're looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure