Too many holidays?

Comments

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    OP at least you haven't gone down the route of trying to have the best of both worlds! I know so many people who live on debt but 'have' everything. That thought would probably send you into a spin of anxiety!

I love my holidays and they have always taken priority. My house has never been my priority beyond essential maintenance. It's only now I've lived sensibly and frugally that I'm starting to be able to do both and get various cosmetic adjustments done to the house as well as have more holidays. However, when I was your age or a bit younger I could do no more than 1 fortnight holiday a year in Greece or Turkey and had a second job so I could also have a social life. We simply have to make compromises, or go down the debt route.

As others have said, I think you need to set a budget for holiday spend per year and allocate the rest to home stuff. You don't know if children are going to happen near future, mid term or not at all. Bear it in mind but you can sort that out when and if it happens. I'm thinking that your girlfriend likes to make all the arrangements for the trips too? If that's the case, to soften the blow of having less getaways perhaps you can sort the next one out from start to finish, get really involved, get really enthusiastic to show her that what is important to her is also important to you.

I'm sure that if it comes to a time when you live together that her priorities may also shift - yours might also as sharing household bills will increase your disposable income! You just really need to sit down and talk things through - if it were me it would be the weekend breaks that would go - as they drain the finances far more quickly than a couple of fortnight breaks. Or find something that's a lot cheaper, that could become 'your' place. A yurt in the countryside or something that you will always want to go back to, rather than a 4/5 star city hotel? Be imaginative and communicate with each other.

Oh yeah and I have been seeing my bloke nearly 18 months and we've had a 5 day break together and are about to go to Greece for a week. But in that time I've also had 3 beach holidays and a cultural trip on my own/group thing. He does his own thing quite a bit and so do I - our form of compromise which almost certainly does not suit anybody remotely normal, ha ha.
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    SandC wrote: »
    He does his own thing quite a bit and so do I - our form of compromise which almost certainly does not suit anybody remotely normal, ha ha.

Glad it's not just us! I went to Download weekend just gone and he went away with his mates, haha :)

Best way to be, IMO.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Glad it's not just us! I went to Download weekend just gone and he went away with his mates, haha :)

Best way to be, IMO.

HBS x

Absolutely HBS, he will be off on a few short breaks with mates over the summer - I've told him they are welcome to Blackpool, ha ha. :-)
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Makes sense - says OP may have 10 years but you have your whole life.

I do agree with house upgrades, I had my kitchen/bathroom done, looks nice but does not do anything for me. My living room and upstairs needs doing badly, but not going to waste money on it.

I'm half tempted to just say screw it and book this,
    been looking at for a whilehttps://www.justyou.co.uk/en-gb/tours/americas-western-wonders/

Do it! But not until after the PCH is open again (closed in two places atm, due to re-open Sept/Oct time)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What you are doing is admirable but please dont forget, your only young once
    Many people are young for a very long time! My parents are 'younger' now they are retired than they were in their 20s. They can now afford to jet off the world any time they want and they sure are doing so. They're never home! They are in their 70s, but very fit, going on long walks daily, no stopping them!
  • jackieblack
    FBaby wrote: »
    Many people are young for a very long time! My parents are 'younger' now they are retired than they were in their 20s. They can now afford to jet off the world any time they want and they sure are doing so. They're never home! They are in their 70s, but very fit, going on long walks daily, no stopping them!

Lucky them! But unfortunately I know too many people who haven't been so lucky and who have died suddenly and/or long before they've reached retirement age or done many of the things they'd put off until 'some day'.
    We only get one life and it can be cut short when you're least expecting it.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Indeed, but you can also spend many long years with very little money, hardly enough for small luxuries, let alone to afford nice holidays and breaks away.

It's an individual choice in the end, and OP shouldn't feel that his choices are wrong.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Lucky them! But unfortunately I know too many people who haven't been so lucky and who have died suddenly and/or long before they've reached retirement age or done many of the things they'd put off until 'some day'.

This is the difficulty isn't it? I come from a long living family on both sides but equally I've lost good friends far too young, and we all know of many people who never got to enjoy an old age.

You can't guarantee a long life and you should enjoy it while you can, but equally if you live like a long life is definitely not going to happen and it does, you're setting yourself up for a pretty miserable time in your final years.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 June 2017 at 8:01AM
    If life does bring poor health or financial problems, it can be a big relief to have somewhere nice to live with good quality stuff that won't cost too much to run and won't break down a lot.

It's possible to make great memories and have good times without spending lots of money and going abroad.
  • jackieblack
    FBaby wrote: »
    Indeed, but you can also spend many long years with very little money, hardly enough for small luxuries, let alone to afford nice holidays and breaks away.

It's an individual choice in the end, and OP shouldn't feel that his choices are wrong.
    This is the difficulty isn't it? I come from a long living family on both sides but equally I've lost good friends far too young, and we all know of many people who never got to enjoy an old age.

You can't guarantee a long life and you should enjoy it while you can, but equally if you live like a long life is definitely not going to happen and it does, you're setting yourself up for a pretty miserable time in your final years.

Of course! But, like many things in life, it's about getting the balance right and not taking anything for granted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business