PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Inspiration required

Hi Folks,
I have just got back from Tesco's where for about a pound I snaffled a bag of sprouts ,carrots,celery,baby sweetcorn, peppers red & yellow,brocolli,parsnips,and about twelve tomatoes.
I have bunged in the slow cooker some celery,parsnips,a leek,some odd mushrooms that I had in the fridge and a couple of chopped up Tatoes with 2 litres of veggie stock and it is cooking away quite nicely for some soup for tomorrow .My question is what else can I make with the rest of the veggies .There were all reduced in price so I don't want to waste them Any ideas as I am up to my knees in soup.
Have i over bought do you think .I also have a small swede and some mushrooms that are good for a couple of days yet

Comments

• Ronankfan
    Ronankfan Posts: 707 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    quiche perhaps??
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Pasties, pies, samosas... all variations on a theme :) A pastry theme :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Tina_D
    Tina_D Posts: 47 Forumite
    Hi JackieO
    you could add any other carrots and mushrooms to some chicken and make a pie. Or stuffed peppers with some mince and/or rice.
    i'm off to the recipe thread, i may be some time!
    Tina
  • You have to try the swede mashed with nutmeg. (well use a masher but add nutmeg to it!)
    Garlic mushrooms, I just put a bit of butter (hm of course!) and a mushed up clove of garlic and put in a small pan with the lid on and let it all cook down a bit- delicious with toast - brunch tomorrow perhaps??!!
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    curry! yum!
    Blah
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    You can gently fry the sliced peppers in olive oil with some garlic and skinned tomatoes until they are soft. This keeps in the fridge for a couple of days and I use it in an omelette or with beaten eggs stirred in as a piperade. Otherwise it is a tasty filling for a quiche or an accompaniment to chops, sausages or a baked potato.
  • One of my favourites from my student days is what we call pasta pot. Basically it is any veg I have left in the fridge: pots, carrots, celery, onions, whatever, cooked with a tin of toms and some tom puree and maybe some stock (or a carton of passata). you could also add some herbs like oregano if you like. Then add pasta and cook for bit longer. Transfer this to heat proof dish and top with mixture of grated cheese and crushed weetabix. heat in oven until topping is crisp. Serve with salad/crusty bread.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Roasted vegetables,if you slice the peppers,parsnips,sweetcorn,thinly slice the carrots place them on a baking tray, then drizzle some olive oil over them and then bake them until they are soft,you could serve them with a baked potato or a bit of rice or pasta.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Ya Chums,
    Thank you for some brilliant ideas. I am trying to imagine weetabix on top of grated cheese and Pasta.Why not if it goes crispy, Years ago I once topped a shepards pie with dried sage and onion stuffing mix to liven it up a bit, and my husband thought it was great!
    I'll give some of them a go
    Cheers everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family