partners with kids

Options

Comments

• Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't think you sound spoilt, I do think that this will just cause an issue further down the line.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you loved him none of it would matter.
  • restless6
    restless6 Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    His lack of decent job and poor finances would be much more of a worry to me than his 2 kids to be honest.
  • candylady89
    Options
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    I don't know much about DROs but I found this on the web:

A debt relief order can be a low cost alternative to bankruptcy. A DRO is only available if you owe less than £15,000 and have less than £300 in assets. You don't pay anything towards your debts for 12 months - and after that they will be written off.

Is that right?

Yes but I think it still follows you for 6 years
  • candylady89
    Options
    Buzzybee90 wrote: »
    I don't think you sound spoilt, I do think that this will just cause an issue further down the line.
    Really appreciate that, thanks
  • candylady89
    Options
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    Did you know at the start that he had 2 kids?

Either way it sounds like alarm bells are ringing in your head, perhaps understandably so.

He might eventually get himself a better job and some savings, but he'll always have his kids, which he'll have to support in addition to any of your possible future children.

He told me straight away, ive just stuck with him
  • Bella73
    Bella73 Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    From what you say he isn't the one for you.

However, some people are calling you selfish which I feel is unfair. I wouldn't wish to take on someone else's children. I don't have my own and was honest when dating guys that sorry if they had children it was a deal breaker for me. To be honest it wasn't the children I actually have a problem with I didn't wish to be tied to an ex wife/girlfriend for life, which you are if children are involved.

I was lucky and met my husband who didn't have children. There are plenty of people out there without children.

I think it be fair to everyone you need to call it a day to give you both a chance of finding the right person to be with.

I also don't find it strange that she hasn't met the children as I feel lots of people rush in with the meeting of new "partners" which can be awful for the children if a few relationships don't work out as they keep meetings new boyfriend/girlfriend every few months.
  • candylady89
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    He had two kids who will be around for the remainder of your relationship. If you can't deal with it now, then maybe call it quits now before you get in too deep.

There's no way I could have taken on someone's kids, yet my hubby did with my daughter. Some people can, some can't. It's not wrong either way, just do what you feel is right.

I appreciate this... I was wary of being the selfish baddie
  • candylady89
    Options
    Thanks so much for ALL responses. Just to clear up...I definitely do like him (as a person) I KNOW he's a great dad and those little girls mean everything to him; infact thats part of what is so attractive.
    So glad that im not being (wholly) blamed for how I feel.
    Ive got alot to consider.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bin him off.

You're only 25 so if you're having doubts about a guy with a low paid job and two kids then it makes sense to be rid of him and find someone else. His circumstances don't sound like they're going to improve.

If you want kids then that's time off work and if your partner is already paying child support for two kids and doesn't earn much he's not going to be in a good position to support you when you need it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure