Mis Sold Windows

Options
My Sister who is on Benefits was conned into buying double glazing at a cost of £9,000 for a very small property, at the time she was suffering with depression on medication and vulnerable,i have found out that the salesman arranged the loan, i have asked her to gather all the paperwork for me. Is there anything she can do as she was and still is on a very low income and is unable to keep up the payments . I cannot understand how this loan could have been granted in these circumstances .

I would be grateful for any advice

Comments

• Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Something is not missold all because it is poor value.

Having depression does not mean she lacks capacity. Why did she allow the salesman into her home?

If the contract was made within the last fourteen days then, assuming the work has not been carried out, she would have the right to cancel. If the work has been carried out then she needs to arrange to pay what she owes.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did they cold call or did she call and invite them round to quote/survey?

The loan would have been through a separate finance company and if she passed the credit check, she passed the credit check.

I would have thought a visit to C.A.B. would be be a good place to start. Good luck!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ploughing my way through the further information......
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would be grateful for any advice

Posting in a forum that actually has something to do with this would be a good idea for starters!

If a loan is involved, try the Loans Forum, or maybe Consumer Rights?
  • dieselv2
    dieselv2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    So this doesn't happen again, stick a no cold calling sign on the letterbox.
    Debt As Of 19/3/2021: £16,973 | Current Debt: £9,322 | 54.9% Repaid
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My Sister who is on Benefits was conned into buying double glazing at a cost of £9,000 for a very small property, at the time she was suffering with depression on medication and vulnerable,i have found out that the salesman arranged the loan, i have asked her to gather all the paperwork for me. Is there anything she can do as she was and still is on a very low income and is unable to keep up the payments . I cannot understand how this loan could have been granted in these circumstances .

Double glazing salesmen will sell windows at!whatever price they can, to!whoever they can.
    Anti-discrimination laws mean you can't be turned down for a loan because you're depressed, on medication or vulnerable.

Until you get the paperwork, including the loan application, then you won't know whether the!loan was obtained fraudulently or whether it was irresponsible of the lender.!

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/financial-hardship-unaffordable-lending.htm

You should find out what trade bodies the double glazing company belongs to and speak to them too. Although I don't think anyone is going to say you get to keep the windows and not pay for them at all. You might be able to reschedule the loan and!get the interest frozen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure