Sure start maternity grant help?

In march this year I applied for the sure start maternity grant, I had applied for the grant as I knew I would be entitled to child tax credits higher the the family element. In the mean time the HMRC calculated my child tax credit entitlement at half the amount of what I should receive, due to this my claim was rejected as it was stated I was not receiving enough to qualify.
Due to knowing I was entitled to more I contacted HMRC several times to have this looked at again, eventually HMRC confirmed my maternity allowance had been recorded as an income incorrectly and in October I received my amended letter stating the actual child tax credits amount I am entitled to - double the previous amount and more than the family entitlement, the award is also back dated to my sons date of birth.
When applying for the maternity grant you have 3 months from your child being born to do so, due to the HMRC delays I was now outside the time bracket to apply, I wrote a letter in order to explain my situation and ask for them to reconsider my application. I received a phone call a couple of weeks later to tell me I was not entitled to the grant despite my appeal, I asked for an explanation as to why and was given the original reasons, e.g. when applying in March I was not receiving enough child tax credits, I again explained the situation but was told to appeal and I am now being sent paper work in the post, to complete and 'present to a tribunal', I feel this was out of my control and a mistake made by the HMRC causing me to not receive the grant.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated

Comments

• NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you repost on the Benefits board, someone may be able to help you.
    This board is for Child Support issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport