Hello advice please!

Hello, I am new to this site so aplogise if i am posting this in the wrong place.

I have today received a letter from those delightful people at the csa informing me that they have been overpaying me for the last 2 years and i now owe them just under 6k!

The case is now closed as my daughter has turned 18 and i had no knowledge they had been overpaying me all this time, i only received standard letters every 6 months or so to say the amount owed and the amount actually paid.

Does anyone know what i need to do about this? The letter clearly states this is money owed to them, i'm thinking of asking citizens advice as i do not have a spare 6k under my mattress!

Comments

• Have they explained how the overpayment happened. Because I'd be wanting to know this first of all.
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
  • The only letter other than the one stating the case was closed i received about 2 weeks ago which started with the sentance...
    Thank you for informing us about your recent changes (i have not contacted the csa for a number of years now so am presuming the same letter went to the absent parent) and then concluded the amount to be paid had been reviewed and was changing to £10 a week instead of £60 a week and the effect was to take place from July 2014! So basically they wrote to me saying payments had been reviewed and were being reduced by £50 A WEEK starting 2 YEARS AGO!! I don't see how this is fair, i imagine their argument is the fact they have a backlog of claims but this is ludicrous!
  • Gpod
    Gpod Posts: 27 Forumite
    You can pay it back at £50 per week for the next two years or so. I doubt they will expect a lump sum of £6000. If the absent parent has been overpaying by £50 per week, the money will go straight back to him/her.
  • Well unfortunately i do not have £50 a week/£200 a month spare.

For anyone reading this who may be in a similar position i have spoken with citizens advice this morning, they said to ask the csa for a mandatory reconsideration which the csa are likely to reject and then i can take it to an independant tribunal and the CAB will help me do this. I then spoke with various departments at the csa and each person i spoke to said that it was csa error as the change in circumstances was reported to them two years ago but it was never actioned by them! I am now waiting upon the csa to advise me further and looks like this will be going to a tribunal.

For anyone in the same position i was also told by the csa there are a lot of cases of overpayments and a lady told me in the 10 years she has worked there she has never known the csa to demand overpayments back from the parent with care, especially when the csa are at fault.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Well unfortunately i do not have £50 a week/£200 a month spare.

For anyone reading this who may be in a similar position i have spoken with citizens advice this morning, they said to ask the csa for a mandatory reconsideration which the csa are likely to reject and then i can take it to an independant tribunal and the CAB will help me do this. I then spoke with various departments at the csa and each person i spoke to said that it was csa error as the change in circumstances was reported to them two years ago but it was never actioned by them! I am now waiting upon the csa to advise me further and looks like this will be going to a tribunal.

For anyone in the same position i was also told by the csa there are a lot of cases of overpayments and a lady told me in the 10 years she has worked there she has never known the csa to demand overpayments back from the parent with care, especially when the csa are at fault.

So why should the NRP be out of pocket? Just curious why your circumstances are more important than theirs?
  • Flowers1998
    Flowers1998 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 7 November 2016 at 7:23PM
    I am not saying the nrp should be out of pocket. As far as i am aware the csa will pay a lump sum to him for the overpayment and the csa will attempt to recoup that money from me.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I am not saying the nrp should be out of pocket. As far as i am aware the csa will pay a lump sum to him for the overpayment and the csa will attempt to recoup that money from me.

What seems odd, is that where were they getting the £60 a week from?
    The NRP pays the amount and then the CSA forward the amount onto the PWC.
  • The NRP was paying this amount, the csa forwarded me the payments. I believe this was done via a DEO with his employer.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The NRP was paying this amount, the csa forwarded me the payments. I believe this was done via a DEO with his employer.

They must have been taking iver payemnts from the NRP the annual schedule would have highlighted that.
  • All of the letters i received stated the amount to be paid and the amount actually paid, none of these letters indicated the amount had significantly reduced down to £10 a week from £60, the csa have stated the change in circumstances reported by the NRP 2 years ago was never actioned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure