Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on, as i- unlike gort, dont think you will heading tot he graveyard soon.

I will.

At the end of the day it's not just financial - I could retire tomorrow and not run out of money.

The funny thing is the more i take control of my working environment the less I feel the need to leave it.

Lets see.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    My husband is now just three days away from retiring at 58. Just got his last salary payment and the P45 form arrived too today. Company car goes back next Monday so just waiting for letter from Pensions department to confirm final pension next week and confirmation the TFLS has been disinvested.

Exciting stuff but he is most excited about his retirement do next Friday at a tap room in a local brewery of all places.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Bootsox
    Bootsox Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    As my pendulum swings from non-FI to FI, I find myself being less tolerant of work related issues (I've had 35 years of being rankled by work related issues).

One day, they're going to push me too far....
  • Notfarfromtheborder
    Options
    Bootsox wrote: »
    As my pendulum swings from non-FI to FI, I find myself being less tolerant of work related issues (I've had 35 years of being rankled by work related issues).

One day, they're going to push me too far....

Me too, albeit I still have to bite my tongue as I could do with another few years yet
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on, as i- unlike gort, dont think you will heading tot he graveyard soon.

Good luck to ML. He's in the fortunate position of being able to choose between a wealthy retirement starting today or an even wealthier retirement starting some time in the (distant :)) future.

I'm sure this won't affect the date of his appointment with the grim reaper but every extra year spent working = one less year spent retired.
  • robin61
    robin61 Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »
    Good luck to ML. He's in the fortunate position of being able to choose between a wealthy retirement starting today or an even wealthier retirement starting some time in the (distant :)) future.

I'm sure this won't affect the date of his appointment with the grim reaper but every extra year spent working = one less year spent retired.

True but knowing you could retire if you wanted to does take a bit of the pressure off. I'm certainly finding that the closer I get to that position the more relaxed I feel at work. I am not looking over my shoulder or feeling that I have to keep pushing to justify my position.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    When you are in the position of Marine Life (you can retire, you have more than enough money) it is actually more difficult to pull the trigger.
    It is very difficult to compare the known (working) with the unknown (retirement)
    No one really knows what being retired means until it actually takes place.
    Retirement is like trying to describe the mountains to someone who has never seen one.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I will.

At the end of the day it's not just financial - I could retire tomorrow and not run out of money.

The funny thing is the more i take control of my working environment the less I feel the need to leave it.

Lets see.

Obtusely, we were in an identical situation except that the opportunistic flavour of our business was once it had been milked to it's end, it was then over. So future revenue would involve a fundamental change of business direction. That mandated a choice of stopping or starting a new direction, because we had the opportunity of choice. We stopped. It was a luxury many do not have the opportunity to enjoy but actually I feel happier that the choice was forced on me rather than a choice I had to make. We retired at an imprecise moment but roughly age 50'ish and now I find us as being terminally bored but at least with options. We find ourselves missing the roller coaster of a fast moving business life and bored. But boredom is a luxury many aspire to.

Life is never simple. ;)

Jeff
  • cns06
    cns06 Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We are still aiming for 50. 13 years to go....
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    ............. We retired at an imprecise moment but roughly age 50'ish and now I find us as being terminally bored but at least with options. We find ourselves missing the roller coaster of a fast moving business life and bored. But boredom is a luxury many aspire to.

Life is never simple. ;)

Jeff

It absolutely baffles me that apparently educated and intelligent people are bored in retirement. Is it simply a lack of planning or imagination or similar?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback