PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I have a small extinguisher in a bracket on the wall by the kitchen door. The only sources of ignition is the kitchen stove (unless something electrical caught fire, of course).

The smoke alarms in each flat actually have a protective effect on us all, because they are audible over several dozens of flats and people pop out of their doors like cuckoos out of cuckoo clocks whenever they ring off.

Him next door, before he got jailed, had a kitchen incident by falling asleep with a pasta pan boiling and boiled it dry. Some everywhere, alarms ringing off and all the neighbours out, he was so embarrassed and apologetic.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    It's still windy here. We've had everything today-rain, hail, sleet , wet snow with the odd bit of sunshine. It's bin day tomorrow but I dare n't put them out overnight like I normally do. I've stuck a post it note on the kettle to remind me to put them out when I get up .
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes when the SHTF - there isn't time to grab anything. :)

I used to live in bottom floor flat of a terrace house - the end house of the terrace was empty - until one fine night when someone decided it would be fun to set it on fire - the fire rapidly spread along the open loft spaces and the fire brigade evacuated the whole block

While the drama was unfolding ..I was in the bath - completely oblivious until a nice fireman forced entry to the flat to get me out ......I had no choice but to jump out of the bath, put a dressing gown on and grab a bath towel before being ushered out the front door!
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes when the SHTF - there isn't time to grab anything. :)

I've long kept a bag in the car which would cover me for deciding to have a weekend away.
    I was in Manchester on business, when the fire alarm went at 4:30 in the morning.
    I was outside the hotel when I realised I hadn't stopped to grab a dressing gown or slippers but was in my usual night attire - my skin. Someone gave me a cellular blanket to wrap up in (surprisingly warm).
    3/4 of an hour later as we were being allowed back into the hotel I remembered the bag in the boot of my car and fitted a key holder to the car not long after.

Fire Extinguishers
    I have a CO2 in the kitchen as well as a fire blanket. I have a Water upstairs at the junction of two of the bedrooms (corner of the landing, between main bedroom and Herself's sewing room). I have a dry powder in the garage though this will be replaced with a CO2 in due course - Dry powder is seriously messy to clean up.
    Likely ignition sources for the kitchen are a gas hob (isolation valves under the hob in the cupboard and at the meter (understairs cupboard 2m away) and various electrical appliances.
    First floor possible ignition sources are more limited, my office has computers and printers, Herself's sewing room has sewing machine and iron, all rooms have table lights, phone chargers and similar. All electricals are switched off at the wall when not in use. The assumption (and the reason for the Water extinguisher) is that any fire is likely to be secondary to a ground floor cause and therefore structural (wood floors etc)

Escape routes, assuming the stairs are compromised, landing window onto the garage roof (18inch step down, ladder to ground, or GQ's recommended lowering method, or via bathroom window - in addition bathroom has the advantage of a water supply and towels to help seal the bottom of the door against smoke as evacuation this way will be slower.

Typing this I realised I don't have a breakpoint hammer in the main bedroom to take out the double glazed unit (one lives on the windowsill of the landing window) and allow exit to the front of the property - I will be rectifying this today.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2015 at 7:10AM
    Options
    Re fires, in the area I now live in its commonplace for people to have outside hoses fixed to their houses. I have added one of them myself and I could "be my own fireman" with that if need be. Courtesy of being in a bungalow and having bought a pretty long hosepipe then I guess I could point it in through any of my windows if need be and do a spot of "internal watering".

I hadn't thought of that till now, but its a useful extra thought for it.

I don't know how common fires would be in a detached house with one non-smoker living there and who is of a cautious enough nature that I certainly wouldn't leave candles unattended and I've had the electrics updated.

Am guessing that fires, in the main, are caused by Somebody Stoopid? and that, in a detached house (ie no Somebody Stoopid having their home attached to mine) with modernised electrics that they would be most unlikely?

I'm now wondering how long a fire takes to totally destroy a typical size home. Does anyone know?
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I opted for a fire blanket. Fire extinguishers need to be checked regularly and have a shelf life. Though I also do what I can to reduce fire risks as well. In the worst case scenario a fire blanket can be used to cover your head as you exit through a fire.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Re fires, in the area I now live in its commonplace for people to have outside hoses fixed to their houses. I have added one of them myself and I could "be my own fireman" with that if need be. Courtesy of being in a bungalow and having bought a pretty long hosepipe then I guess I could point it in through any of my windows if need be and do a spot of "internal watering".

I hadn't thought of that till now, but its a useful extra thought for it.

I don't know how common fires would be in a detached house with one non-smoker living there and who is of a cautious enough nature that I certainly wouldn't leave candles unattended and I've had the electrics updated.

Am guessing that fires, in the main, are caused by Somebody Stoopid? and that, in a detached house (ie no Somebody Stoopid having their home attached to mine) with modernised electrics that they would be most unlikely?

I'm now wondering how long a fire takes to totally destroy a typical size home. Does anyone know?

just because you have had new electrics doesn't mean something cant happen and it cause a fire.. a posh pub that had all new electrics had a fire in their attic not so long back... so even though it is extremely unlikely to happen, it can...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    In the words of Supertramp, It's raining again. :(

Since reading your post earlier in the week, when ever it has rained (very frequently) I've had Supertramp singing in my head. Now I just need songs for hail, snow and very windy.

We don't have any fire fighting equipment, I am going to go away and think if this is something we wish to change. We do have one of those ladders in the bathroom which provides an emergency exit at one end of the house and at the other end my daughters bedroom window opens on to the utility room roof which is pitched and finishes 6 inches above the path (utility room is partly under ground). As we only have a ground floor and first floor all other windows can be used as emergency exits using the method described by GQ.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 April 2015 at 8:28AM
    Options
    just because you have had new electrics doesn't mean something cant happen and it cause a fire.. a posh pub that had all new electrics had a fire in their attic not so long back... so even though it is extremely unlikely to happen, it can...
    :) I was taught first aid on a course by our city's deputy fire chief. As well as the first aid stuff, he had many useful pieces of advice.

One which my family now follow is to have a smoke detector in the loft. Fires originating in the electrics in the loft is a common-enough source of domestic fires. Other common sources of ignition are smoking materials and candles.

He also said that when on holiday he would do the following; make sure that the hotel room was not too high to be reached by fire ladders, take a portable smoke detector and immediately familiarise himself, wife and children with the fire escape route. This wasn't extreme for him, this was everyday business, based on what he knows happens.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My OH always checks the fire escape routes in hotels. Fortunately for me, I prefer to use stairs rather than lifts so I usually know where they are too.

At a very early age, we taught the children how to get out in a fire - front door or back door, if we can't get down stairs then out of J's window onto a flat roof extension. We never lock J's window and we always lock the front door and keep the key in the lock. We also each have a torch in our bedside table because the lights may well go out and smoke is disorientating.

Even though the children are now 16 and 18 and obviously get left alone for periods of time (though the 16 year old hasn't been left overnight yet), and need to cook then they still get the fire lecture. I always thought that with people leaving small kids alone - not "what if they get kidnapped" but "what if there was a fire". I thought that in the Madeleine McCann case too - a much more likely scenario.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport