to motorhome or not to motorhome (or caravan)

Hi, keen to canvass as many opinions as possible about motor-home/caravaning, the good and the bad please.
I used to think it was a more frugal option (which is a tune I hope we can all dance to) but once you've paid for site fee's and fuel + ferries if you're going abroad, not to mention the initial outlay it quickly adds up.
Still keen to hear as many different opinions as possible, what people like about it and what people don't like, for example I've got a young child so the ability to cart a lot of her toot around is pretty appealing.

Comments

• We have a caravan and yes, site fees for a decent site can be expensive but if you don't mind a basic site then it shouldn't be too expensive.

The only think I would say in the motorhome v caravan debate is that we see a lot of people either towing cars or motorbikes as you have to drive the motorhome to where ever you want to go otherwise.
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    DH had a motorhome when we first got together and my kids were 8 &6. It was fabulous when we went out for the day - tea making and toilet etc but the downside was when on holiday it had to be packed down a bit in order to go out anywhere and height restrictions on car parks proved to be a pain.

We have had a caravan for the past 19 years and obviously love it more! Our youngest was 4 months old when we first used it and have managed fine with three kids and their tosh! Storage can be expensive. We now store it on a farm camping site and just tow it onto a pitch when we want.
  • Come on OP....have an update???
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I saved a fortune on holidays buying a caravan but when you walk round the sites and price up some of the 'outfits' you see that people are spending massive amounts.
    Caravans - the key is to make sure your family car is capable of towing. Obviously 4x4 land rovers etc are best but also prestige cars like BMW diesels 6 cylinder 3 litre etc. Big MPVs.
    All you pay for then is your caravan and site fees. Caravan insurance is optional and maintenance should be cheap.
    Most people buying a motorhome have also bought a family car. They then pay a FORTUNE for a motorhome. It then HAS to be insured, MOTed, Emission taxed and serviced. Our relatives with a motorhome say that it costs them £3k a year to keep it on the road.
    With a caravan you are always glad to get to the site to get it off the car. You then set up your caravan as your house. Awning etc. You just jump in the car and go shopping, out for the day etc. It's as you are normally used to living.
    Our relatives have a large motor home and don't like to leave the site because it can't be parked anywhere. If you are going out you have to put everything away. You then have to mark your pitch when you leave. You have to phone tourist attractions and see if you can park a motor home there. You soon get fed up of this and so start looking at towing a car behind your motor home. You then have to finance your family car, motor home and Smart car.
    I have a feeling that people think it is trendy to have a motor home. It probably is in Australia or USA where there is plenty of space. But we are not there. We are in little old England.
    Maybe a small motor home that fits in a normal parking space is good for two but for families caravans are superior-that's my opinion.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi, you talk about going abroad and should know that most towns in France have free places for motorhomes to overnight with free water and waste facilities, some also have electricity for a small fee.
    However personally I like having a caravan after many many years of camping, then folding camper. Motorhomes are just too expensive for me,
    We have a 2008 caravan bought for £6k over a year ago in immaculate condition, the sinks still had stickers on and the oven had never been used.
    going to France for two months this summer, about half will be in the caravan.
  • Fortyfoot
    Fortyfoot Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Watch Caravanner of the Year
    11:25pm - 12:25am Monday 30th, May, Episode 2 on BBC2,
    Episode one was so funny, watch it on iPlayer.

Fortyfoot
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    We considered buying a motorhome but the ongoing costs put us off.
    We hire a motorhome in Spain & travel about in Europe.
    Would not consider doing the same thing in the UK though the country is too small, crowded & expensive.
  • markandkate
    markandkate Posts: 846 Forumite
    We bought a cheap and cheerful campervan as we did not want to spend a fortune on something that was going to sit on the drive for months on end. It is true that it has to be taxed and Mot'd, where a caravan does not but you still need a car capable of towing which may be bigger, more powerful and more costly than the one you were going to buy.

The rationale for the camper van was that it would cost about £500 per week to hire one so 28 days use would be break even

Our campervan was 30 years old and cost us £2,000 and we ended up keeping it for four years and loved it. We went to France and Germany and ended up trading it in last year. We probably spent another £2,000 on it but traded it in for £2,000 and could have got more if we had sold it privately.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, we have a folding camper which we absolutely love, easy to tow and store and low maintenance. Its not ideal for winter use but at the moment we cant go away in winter anyway. It can be towed with a standard family car too.

It cost us £2000 and we are on our 3rd season. We typically pay £20 to £25 per night pitch fees for 4 of us, with electric. You have the option to self cater so can have some very cheap holidays. Perfect for kids, easy to take their stuff, you can have a whole range of different types of holiday from big sites with swimming pools and restaurants to tiny sites with just a loo and a shower.

However - its not everyone's cup of tea. Have you every camped before? Even in a luxury caravan there are certain compromises. I wouldnt want to splash out on a caravan or motorhome without trying it first.
  • Hi, we have a folding camper which we absolutely love, easy to tow and store and low maintenance. Its not ideal for winter use but at the moment we cant go away in winter anyway. It can be towed with a standard family car too.

It cost us £2000 and we are on our 3rd season. We typically pay £20 to £25 per night pitch fees for 4 of us, with electric. You have the option to self cater so can have some very cheap holidays. Perfect for kids, easy to take their stuff, you can have a whole range of different types of holiday from big sites with swimming pools and restaurants to tiny sites with just a loo and a shower.

However - its not everyone's cup of tea. Have you every camped before? Even in a luxury caravan there are certain compromises. I wouldnt want to splash out on a caravan or motorhome without trying it first.
    We were looking at folding campers yesterday and kind of ruled them out as we could not see many advantages over a normal tent and they seemed quite expensive.
    Have you had any issues with security? The bottom of the door is solid with a lock but the upper half is canvas with a zip?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure