Midlands and Oxford I would love your input thanks.

2»

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Oxford, naturally, very pretty with countryside right in the city centre (the city is almost a figure-8 shape). Try finding 'The Turf' for a pint.

Stratford - closer to Brum, and lots on this year with the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 April 2016 at 2:34PM
    Wow, thank you everyone!

@Tuesday Tenor, I have c+p your post and printed it out. Very informative.

I know time is limited, but then you make the most of it and don't dilly dally. Bus trip is a must for such a short time, and then back to things we might find interesting.

City of the dreaming spires. It looks amazing on Streetview. I cannot wait, and thank you all so much for taking the time to reply.

The accommodation is pricey, but what the heck, it will be worth it in the end. I will not stay in shoddy or noisy places, got the tee shirt from that one in my younger days, so am prepared to shell out for something halfway decent now. Thanks for the tips on the colleges. Will check them out.
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Tuesday_Tenor Posts: 998 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2016 at 4:46PM
    You're right: VERY little uni accommodation early May. Absolutely zilch on some nights.

But did find nice double room in Victorian Keble College for randomly-selected dates of 3rd and 4th May, so you might be lucky ...
    £110/night for the room in desirable quad-facing position. Good for Central Oxford where the min going rate would be that per person.

http://www.universityrooms.com/en/city/oxford/book/rooms/local
    If you find anything suitable for the dates you want I think you need to book now, as availability seems to have declined since I ferreted about on the site yesterday.

Have a great time, wherever you end up staying.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    I stayed at Oxford Mercure Hotel but this was about 7 years ago. It was central and clean and I would stay there again. Look on trip advisor to check it out.
    The apartments on trip advisor that you can book vis trip advisor are through bookings.com and they load up with fees and you never find poor reviews because they send your review to the owner first. Go figure!
    It has put me off ever booking anything through trip advisor again. With hotels you can book direct but with one off apartments B&Bs it is not so easy, unfortunately.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/oct/14/major-hotel-bookings-deal-strengthens-tripadvisors-grip
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Tuesday_Tenor Posts: 998 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2016 at 4:58PM
    On page linked to in my previous post:

Click on wording Keble College to get more info about the college and facilities.

Nice pic /plan of your holiday home?!:
    http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/about/tour
  • melanzana
    I am gobsmacked by your help here. Thanks again.
  • melanzana
    Hi all.

I just thought I would update here, in case anyone else is doing a similar trip.

So we got a Jury's Inn on Broad Street B/hham for €100 + breakfast. That's EURO, so it worked out fine. And a lovely hotel it is too. Huge room and a fab brekkie. Right in the centre of everything and a few minutes walk to New Street for our train to visit the rellies in Sutton. Perfect.

Then we scoured the net and got two nights in Jury's (again lol) on Godstow Road, Oxford for €180 including.... wait for it, four vouchers for drinks, breakfast on both days, and TWO dinners! OMG what a great deal.

Everything was fabulous. The number 6 bus stopped outside the hotel to get us into Oxford, and from there we took the open top bus. We sat downstairs.... it was lashing rain. We stayed on the bus for two trips around because of the rain, so I could nearly give the tour now!

Went to Browns restaurant in central Oxford for a bit of respite from the rain, and it was delightful.

Then went (with friends from the area) to the Trout Inn at Wolvercote. It was just ten minutes from Jury's on Godstow road. OMG what a delightful place.

Then got the Cross Country train back to Brum for another little visit, and we were dropped back to Brum Airport for our return to Dublin.

You have a fabulous country. And such friendly and helpful people.

Thanks for all your help.

Mel.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Glad it worked out well.

I've come to this thread a bit late - I would have recommended an excellent independent Italian restaurant in an unlikely spot at the end of the bus station.

http://www.ginos-oxford.com/
  • melanzana
    martindow wrote: »
    Glad it worked out well.

I've come to this thread a bit late - I would have recommended an excellent independent Italian restaurant in an unlikely spot at the end of the bus station.

http://www.ginos-oxford.com/

Thanks for the link.

I've sent it to my cousin in Thame who is always on the lookout for nice places to eat.

She took us to the Trout Inn.

You lot really make the most of your outside spaces. It was right by the river, a wonderful location.
  • melanzana wrote: »
    Then we scoured the net and got two nights in Jury's (again lol) on Godstow Road, Oxford for €180 including.... wait for it, four vouchers for drinks, breakfast on both days, and TWO dinners! OMG what a great deal.

Thanks for the update.
    That was a superb bargain at Jury's.
    Sorry about the rain. I've been exceptionally lucky to have sunny days every time I've been to Oxford over 4 years. I was beginning to think it had its own perfect microclimate! And you were exceptionally unlucky to have such a downpour.

Glad you had a great time in all other respects.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure