Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on up to 50k savings (up to 35 only)

Options

Comments

• pazza2000
    pazza2000 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    As she works for Santander, we can be pretty sure that this is completely bogus info!

Yes, sounds about right. I have decided to keep my balance here for now, 3% instant access seems just about as good as I can get and no hassle of moving is involved.
  • garreh
    garreh Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Lizling wrote: »
    One alternative would be the Lloyds Vantage account, which is paying up to 4% if you open it and have 2 DDs set up by 31st Oct. The catch is that you'd only be able to get 4% on up to £18k (3 accounts, £6k on each).

Instant access and all the usual current account services.

4% on 18k sounds good but not very feasible. I assume you would need all 3 of those accounts to each have 2 direct debits setup and of course they need 1000k deposited in each per month. Sounds like a lot of account juggling to get right :j
  • intalex
    intalex Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone tried to transfer out yet, since the announcement of the rate drop? If so, did it require an account closure / mortgage interview, and secondly, did interest get paid out at the time of closure?

Just wondering if the new 'exit process' is already in place, or whether the old one still applies until 12th Nov.
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    intalex wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to transfer out yet, since the announcement of the rate drop? If so, did it require an account closure / mortgage interview, and secondly, did interest get paid out at the time of closure?

Just wondering if the new 'exit process' is already in place, or whether the old one still applies until 12th Nov.

the requirement for a mortgage interview was removed from the t&cs many moons ago.

Any interest accrued but not paid will be added on closure of the account
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did anyone ask if this would show on online banking?
  • pazza2000
    pazza2000 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Options
    someone wrote: »
    Did anyone ask if this would show on online banking?

Yes, I went in branch yesterday and asked this. I was told that it would not show online, and withdrawels can be made 'in branch' only, upto £500 per day unless given more notice, or closing the account in full. The advisor did stress that they are not trained on old products, and had to make a call to find these answers.
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pazza2000 wrote: »
    Yes, I went in branch yesterday and asked this. I was told that it would not show online, and withdrawels can be made 'in branch' only, upto £500 per day unless given more notice, or closing the account in full. The advisor did stress that they are not trained on old products, and had to make a call to find these answers.

the £500 is just for cash. you can make cheque and faster payment transfers up to £100,000 provided you have 2 forms of secondary id such as a bank card, passport or driving licence.
  • dollywops
    dollywops Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    DS has just managed to close this account on the phone and have the funds transferred into his esaver. It took 3 attempts, but the third person who spoke to knew exactly what she was doing. Home Saver now closed and monies sitting in esaver awaiting further reinvestment.

Hopefully DD will be able to do the same when she gets home from work.
  • Moneygrabber24
    Options
    Im going to transfer a load of money to lloyds vantage accounts come 12th Nov. which are paying 4% but will still keep the rest in the home saver since nowadays you can't even get a one year fixed rate bond for more than 3%!
    Terrible. .....thank god for santander

Jay
  • asdfg12345
    Options
    i asked via secure message and have been told that as it will become an instant access account it will become available to add to your online accounts after mid november
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure