Last Share you Bought?

Comments

• srcandas
    srcandas Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sabre I'd be interested in finding such funds but most have words similar to "a portfolio primarily made up of the shares". And would there not be major repercussions if they lost money only for investors to discover the Japan Fund was not invested in Japan ;)

But back to topic. BP have almost hit £4 and despite my quiting the market a bit I feel these may be well protected from the Euro. Anyone else think £4 looks cheap even if the markets fall another 10% ?

Sadly despite touting it for months I missed the boat with de la Rue. Although I got my 5% out of Tesco and Lloyds I'd have done better there :o

Sabre what sort of spread are you getting these days on a 4p share? I haven't dealt down there for years but I remember buying an 11p African Mine years ago and it cost 17p :rotfl:
    I believe past performance is a good guide to future performance :beer:
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    srcandas wrote: »
    Sabre what sort of spread are you getting these days on a 4p share? I haven't dealt down there for years but I remember buying an 11p African Mine years ago and it cost 17p :rotfl:

Not bad, to be honest. I brought through Lloyd Certificated Trading and in one case Halifax Online Share Dealing (then withdrawn onto Certificates) in case of ACE.

Company: Bought price & Mid Price at the time
    ACE: 42.01p & 42.50p
    ONE: 4.813 & 4.88p
    PGR: 0.5695 & 0.58p

But I guess I got lucky since Lloyd Certificated Trading sometime save you money if bps changed.

They are all penny shares. :p

EDIT: Whoops, I did not know you was addressing sabretoothtigger, my bad

Cheers

Joe
  • srcandas
    JoeCrystal wrote: »
    :p

EDIT: Whoops, I did not know you was addressing sabretoothtigger, my bad

Joe your input is as welcome as the flowers in May as my mum would say. Very interesting :beer:
  • JonnyBravo
    JonnyBravo Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    AAZ
    £36m market cap and forecast to make 2/3rds of that this year alone.
  • srcandas
    Just had a punt on Lamprell. Down 60% due to logistics but the board seem to be in control.

Yes I know it is gambling and not investing but I fancied a bit of fun today. Any one else into Lamprell???

:beer:
  • blinko
    blinko Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    IP group and Dialight
  • srcandas
    In Lamprell I lasted 1 hour and 2 minutes (then lost my nerve :eek:). Never done this before. Probably not recommended but what fun :DAnd better odds than the geegees in Ladbrokes I'm sure. Made £111 so lunch in the pub with a few pints today :beer:

ps I have had a quick look a Lamprell and think I may do some serious research and consider them. Haven't been into any big engineering before and I love recovery stocks.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Sorry to crash the thread, but can you please tell me who you deal with and what is the minimal investment amount to open account - either with the broker or to purchase? Any recommendations?

I have never had money to do this, but I am now in position to play with couple of hundred quit a month (I know, not massive, but one has to start somewhere!) and I was wondering whether it is better to wait and save for one big amount or buy few viable shares here and there..

Thank you
  • srcandas
    Any I'm no big player :D but I cannot trade in shares in less than £2000 lumps as the percentage expenses are much higher the smaller the amounts you go for.

As a budget assume £40 to buy, sell, stamp duty and spread. So on that basis a punt of £400 would have 10% costs.

I'd suggest you look for a more economical approach until you build funds. There are schemes where you pay in your £200 a month and buy shares at very good rates. This means over a couple of years you will have a small portfolio to play with.

You can choose the shares but they are bought on a certain day of the month so you do not get to pick the best time to buy. That said buying monthly evens out the troughs and peaks - a very good thing at the moment.

Have a look around the threads here and perhaps iii and Halifax.

No doubt others can suggest other options.

:beer:
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Thanks Srcandas.
    I already hold couple of investment funds, which is quite possibly safer as they know what they are doing better then I do, but you know sometimes you just know that specific share WILL go up!! Like when BP went down so much after the oil spill and so many people were moaning, long term the outlook wasn't going to be that bleak.. So I just wanted to be there then..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure