PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    I haven't done home made home made garlic bread for ages. I used to make white rolls and bake them until cooked and then split them, fill with garlic butter and bake in foil.

You could just make the dough in the bread machine, shape into baguette shapes and bake them. I used to do rolls because the kids were little and liked to do their own with little dough faces, making eyes, nose and mouth from dough scraps. Don't think they'd be wanting to do that now!
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    little_lil wrote:
    We had our homemade pizzas last night and they were fab but we all missed a bit of garlic bread. Have done a search but couldn't find any recipes. Does anyone have any garlic bread recipes, not really sure how to go about it. Should I just make plain white dough in the machine and then bake in oven with garlic butter?

Thanks for all the advice about malt extract, i managed to get some in holland and barrett today. Malt loaf will be my experiment for tomorrow.

lil

You could make those garlic flat breads that they sell in Iceland.

Make the dough, shape it into a round like a pizza, make up garlic butter and spread over the dough.

This is also scrummy with cheese on top :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • little_lil
    little_lil Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies, will give both suggestions a go next time we have pizza. Might do the flatbread for the adults and let the little one do the roll faces.

lil
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've usually just added some garlic salt or garlic granules to a bread mix and then made rolls buns or flats as I needed. Often a mix of all three.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Magentasue
    squeaky wrote:
    I've usually just added some garlic salt or garlic granules to a bread mix and then made rolls buns or flats as I needed. Often a mix of all three.

Sounds far too healthy. Where's the butter? :eek: Where's the saturated fat and cholesterol?:rotfl:
  • moggins
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You can't have garlic bread without loads of garlicky butter, it's just not the same. :)

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    :doh: Ever since I got my breadmaker (Goodmans, with lots of functions including jam) I've been using readymix bread kits, and while they're ok, they do taste a bit ... different. During my first conscientious shop I noted that I could make 3 loaves with a bag of Hovis flour for almost the same price as one of these readymix things.

So today, now in fact - just this minute - I've made a loaf using this Hovis strong white bread flour, Hovis yeast, 25g butter (eh?), salt, sugar ( :confused: ), and 350ml warm water. While it smells absoultely gorgeous, and just like a proper fresh loaf should smell, and while it had a great soft crust (even if it is a bit sweet), it's a bit, well, wet, in the middle.

I've had this before with the readymix and I read the water quantity wrong, so I checked the recipe on the back of the Hovis pack and everything is fine, apart from the bit where it says to keep the yeast away from the salt and sugar, and the part where it says if I use the LONG function on my breadmaker I must use a whole sachet of yeast and not jst 1.25 teaspoons.

How do I keep ingredients separate when it says "put the ingredients in the breadmaker in the order it's listed"? And should I use the TURBO function instead of BASIC?

I still have 2/3 of a bag so can rescue our bread shortage today by baking another loaf this evening. So if anyone has any ideas in, say, the next hour (it's currently 4.50pm), I'll be as grateful as ever.

NOTE: I will need to call out a search party if you need me to find my manual ...
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • moggins
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I notice you are using butter, the instructions from my breadmaker say to use sunflower oil.

I always put the water in first, then the salt, sugar and oil, then the flour and put the yeast in on top of the flour as this mustn't get wet before the process starts.

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    moggins wrote:
    I notice you are using butter, the instructions from my breadmaker say to use sunflower oil.

Yes, I thought the butter part was a tad odd.
    moggins wrote:
    I always put the water in first, then the salt, sugar and oil, then the flour and put the yeast in on top of the flour as this mustn't get wet before the process starts.

That's what I'll try this evening, then. I'm sure my manual said to put all the dry ingredients in first and then the wet stuff on the top, and the readymixes say that too, as does this Hovis pack.

Thanks for replying so quickly. :D
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • Magentasue
    My breadmaker says put in the yeast first - it seems more sensible to put the water in first though. Anyway, I put in the yeast then the flour, then salt and sugar and then butter. I use olive oil for that bread I can't spell (foccaccia?) or pizza dough but butter for everything else. And it comes out perfect!

Credit must go to my gorgeous breadmaker but, as I've posted before, my recipe book suggests too much water. When I first try a recipe I check that the dough has mixed into a ball of dough. If it's a sticky mess, you need to add some flour and use less water next time. If there are bits of floury dough not mixed in, a tad more water.

For four cups of flour (600g) my book says 400ml water. I measure this and then tip some away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure