The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    When I say uphill, it's something I wouldn't notice if I was walking but becomes very noticeable when I'm running. The park is very handy - less than 5 minutes away from the house - and we don't have anything else near here that would be within walking distance. I did go out a couple of weeks ago with the intention of doing one faster lap. Did the first km in 6m26s but that knackered me so much I took nearly 8 minutes to do the second one.

There is a park run about 10 mins drive away but it's at 9am on a Saturday morning. I have considered it but know that a lie in would win over getting up to exercise.

I think I'm just expecting too much of myself too soon to be honest. I'm not sporty, hate exercise and haven't run since I was a kid. Maybe it'll just take me longer to build up my fitness and I'm just being impatient.

Yes, I'm the Vegas veggie so steak is out of the question! As for running in Vegas, we're there in September as part of a road trip so I may try it. Either that or I'll be using the treadmill which will be another new experience. My husband ran whilst we were away last year and the humidity in Charleston nearly did him in but at least I won't have that to contend with this year.

I hope your one mile run went ok and you were happy with your time.
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cottyh24 wrote: »
    When I say uphill, it's something I wouldn't notice if I was walking but becomes very noticeable when I'm running. The park is very handy - less than 5 minutes away from the house - and we don't have anything else near here that would be within walking distance. I did go out a couple of weeks ago with the intention of doing one faster lap. Did the first km in 6m26s but that knackered me so much I took nearly 8 minutes to do the second one.

There is a park run about 10 mins drive away but it's at 9am on a Saturday morning. I have considered it but know that a lie in would win over getting up to exercise.

I think I'm just expecting too much of myself too soon to be honest. I'm not sporty, hate exercise and haven't run since I was a kid. Maybe it'll just take me longer to build up my fitness and I'm just being impatient.

Yes, I'm the Vegas veggie so steak is out of the question! As for running in Vegas, we're there in September as part of a road trip so I may try it. Either that or I'll be using the treadmill which will be another new experience. My husband ran whilst we were away last year and the humidity in Charleston nearly did him in but at least I won't have that to contend with this year.

I hope your one mile run went ok and you were happy with your time.

The hill doesn't sound too bad then. How long have you been running? I'm starting to realise from what you're saying it's maybe not been very long, so I think yes you probably do just need to be patient. Are you going out at least 2 or maybe 3 times per week? You really need that to improve. Once or twice to maintain really and more than that to improve I'd say. I'd say keep at it and don't worry about the speed. I didn't manage under 7min/km until I did parkrun. You'd be really surprised how the atmosphere really helps you get faster. I was surprised even though someone had said it to me beforehand. I took about 2 mins off my time, finishing in 35 or 36 mins. I've been running at about that the last few weeks as my husband was unwell (collapsed at Parkrun in December) and is only just getting back into it. I'm worried about him so I'm running with him which for now is slower than my normal pace. He was sub-29 at one stage though, but he doesn't expect to get back there.

I was chickening out of the one mile race, someone ended up texting me and talking me into it and registering me as I may have missed registration. My garmin said 9 mins but I expect it was just under as it takes a few seconds to stop it. I had it set at min miles because it was a mile we were doing and at one stage was running at 7 min miles and said oops better slow this down. I was getting up to 9 40 min miles at one point and was dying and wanted to stop. I have been coughing a lot since getting home. A kid finished behind me and burst out crying, apparently there were a few. I managed to stop myself haha, don't think I had the energy for that!!!
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Day 3 completed yesterday so week 1 done and dusted :beer:
    Week 2 day 1 will probably be Thursday, it's going to be hard!

Keep up the good work everyone :T
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hey everyone! It's National Running Day :)

We've given this thread a shout out on twitter so you may find some newbies joining the club.

Warming up before a run >>> :j
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    Day 3 completed yesterday so week 1 done and dusted :beer:
    Week 2 day 1 will probably be Thursday, it's going to be hard!

Keep up the good work everyone :T

Very well done. Keep it up, you're doing fantastic!! I found the first few weeks the hardest, once you get to 5 min run it actually gets easier. By then there's an element of sensible pace :)
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    lesley74 wrote: »
    Very well done. Keep it up, you're doing fantastic!! I found the first few weeks the hardest, once you get to 5 min run it actually gets easier. By then there's an element of sensible pace :)

Thanks. It's definitely easier to get out of the house now, I don't care what people think and besides I think I look okay in my gear anyway. I think the bright red face on the way home isn't such a great look but hey ho :D.

I'm keeping in mind your advice on speeds and pacing that you've been giving others. I'm not exactly greased lightening at the moment but I'll need to make sure I don't start off too fast now that the running distances are increasing.
  • Dustyblinds
    Dustyblinds Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Day 1 of week 3 after work today 😀. Wasn't as hard I I expected. We're lucky to have a sports field a short drive away from home where we can run without being seen by many people, just kids football teams and dog walkers. We try to go when it's quiet and take one of the dogs who quite happily runs around while we do our thing, it's been a good learning curve for her as it's helped with her recall 😀 if we think she's getting too far away we just use the whistle and she comes racing back for a treat. Does anyone else run with there dogs? I'm thinking that once the dark nights come we won't be able to run around said field as there's no lighting. We'll have to pound the pavements, not sure how the dog will take to this. It's no hardship as it just means we have to walk the dogs before we go jogging, just trying to save some time 😉
  • cottyh24
    Options
    lesley74 wrote: »
    The hill doesn't sound too bad then. How long have you been running? I'm starting to realise from what you're saying it's maybe not been very long, so I think yes you probably do just need to be patient. Are you going out at least 2 or maybe 3 times per week? You really need that to improve. Once or twice to maintain really and more than that to improve I'd say. I'd say keep at it and don't worry about the speed. I didn't manage under 7min/km until I did parkrun. You'd be really surprised how the atmosphere really helps you get faster. I was surprised even though someone had said it to me beforehand. I took about 2 mins off my time, finishing in 35 or 36 mins. I've been running at about that the last few weeks as my husband was unwell (collapsed at Parkrun in December) and is only just getting back into it. I'm worried about him so I'm running with him which for now is slower than my normal pace. He was sub-29 at one stage though, but he doesn't expect to get back there.

I was chickening out of the one mile race, someone ended up texting me and talking me into it and registering me as I may have missed registration. My garmin said 9 mins but I expect it was just under as it takes a few seconds to stop it. I had it set at min miles because it was a mile we were doing and at one stage was running at 7 min miles and said oops better slow this down. I was getting up to 9 40 min miles at one point and was dying and wanted to stop. I have been coughing a lot since getting home. A kid finished behind me and burst out crying, apparently there were a few. I managed to stop myself haha, don't think I had the energy for that!!!

Well done one the mile race - if I remember that's quicker than your trial run. 7 minute miles though, :eek: that's pretty quick.

I can understand why you're worried about your husband. That must have been awful for both of you. Sounds like he's on the mend now but I'm sure that doesn't stop you worrying.

I started c25k early February and did the last session on 7th May so yes, I've not been running for very long. I went out tonight and did 5k in 38m32s - I changed my route a bit and did 3 smaller laps, cutting across the bottom third of the park on one of the paths. This reduces the distance I have to run uphill each time which I think helps.
  • cottyh24
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    Thanks. It's definitely easier to get out of the house now, I don't care what people think and besides I think I look okay in my gear anyway. I think the bright red face on the way home isn't such a great look but hey ho :D.

I'm keeping in mind your advice on speeds and pacing that you've been giving others. I'm not exactly greased lightening at the moment but I'll need to make sure I don't start off too fast now that the running distances are increasing.

Well done on finishing week 1. Just take it easy on week 2 day 1 and you'll get through it. I struggled and ended up walking some on my first try but could do it by day 3.

The bright red face comment made me laugh - I looked like an overripe tomato when I got in from my run tonight. I imagine it's not going to get much better now that it's getting warmer either.
  • LondonGirl252
    LondonGirl252 Posts: 1,983 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a very expensive run this morning!

I saw when in Regents Park the other week that pay and display parking doesn't kick in until 9am, so this morning I had a late start at work so I thought Id get up and drive down to do my running app (just finished week 4 of 8) so I have the park to run in rather than the mean streets of NW London.

Goregeous morning, lovely run, did an extra mile to previous (got lost so continued after the app programme finished)

Returned to car... £40 parking ticket!

Turns out no parking until 9am.

BALLS!
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
    AIM: Pay off debt & simultaneously save for deposit to buy a house by Oct 2020.
    Mar Challenge: Stay within groceries & eating out budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure