MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Do you break the no Christmas present pact?

Comments

• I think if you have all agreed on a 'no Christmas present pact' then you should all stick to it.
    If a friend broke the pact then I certainly wouldn't run out and buy her a present in return.
    What an awful friend to put you in that situation - embarrasing to say the least.
    Don't make pacts if you can't stick to them.
    Stick to your guns.
  • I entered into a pact with my SIL to-be, and we both agreed not to bother as they need to save as they are having their first baby next year, but my hubby still wants to buy them both (as it's his brother), a token gift as he thinks 'we're being stingy if we don't, and it's up to them if they can't', but in my opinion, it's been agreed, and they may feel bad if we get them something, and then it starts up again next year!
  • I have sort of been the breaker of our £10 limit pack this year so feel well placed to answer this one!

I've bought my mum a theatre ticket which was well over the limit but she's had it on the clear understanding that its her birthday and mother's day pressie as well which was the only reason she allowed me to buy it.

As for the original question though I think I would be embarrassed but I wouldn't rush out and buy one...it would look obvious.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • barri_2
    barri_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Each year we buy presents but say that thankfully, there's nothing that we need, so please don't buy us anything in return. Nevertheless, we still receive presents and they end up being left at the bottom of cupboards.
    This year we have said that WE aren't buying gifts, except for children, or those in need of Christmas cheer.
    We do intend to buy a token gift for everyone, but we genuinely do not want anything for ourselves. The last thing we want is for people to feel that they have to buy us gifts in return.
    You are dishonest to say no gifts and then to give them. You sound patronizing to me. If it is more blessed to give than to receive, you really mustn't try to keep all those blessings to yourself.
  • The pact is essentially a contract and hence “your best mate” to all intents is a contract breaker. Therefore his actions whilst arguably generous are in fact unjust and unfriendly. The question is do you join in the contract-breaking, unfriendliness process? Or do you maintain your contract-integrity and friendship enhancing stance?

In these terms the latter is intuitively more appealing however Christmas often has the power to create a “Come on, it’s Christmas, lighten up” attitude. In my experience this just enables further contract breaking and unfriendliness which mounts up year on year until no-one actually believes anyone else and ends up buying presents just in case. Better I feel to “stick to your guns”. That way people know they can trust you rather than just make false agreements with you then go on to tolerate your lack of integrity-Yeugh
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    I never buy for friends anyway - there is no "pact", it's just something we don't do.

As it happens I am supposed to be meeting two of them for lunch tomorrow and I was going to take them a bottle of wine each - it's just a gift as I had some spare and I wouldn't expect anything in return.

So in answer to the question, no I wouldn't.
  • trejoy
    trejoy Posts: 74 Forumite
    The pact breaker might have only agreed as they felt forced. I would remind them of pact, then say thanks and give them a big hug.
    I buy gifts for people I want to, I don`t buy for those I don`t like and I don`t buy to receive. :rotfl:
    Did my shopping this morning, pressies are all wrapped. Christmas starts tomorrow. Lets all try to put on hold the doom and gloom of the economy and enjoy ourselves.
    :beer: MWYNHER GWYHAU NADOLIG :beer:
    enjoy christnas hols
    ;););):cool:;););)
    :A
  • If we'd seriously agreed not to buy presents, definitely wouldn't buy one. Either they have decided they have plenty of money to spend so have bought you something or else they want to be seen to be giving - either way, they have done it because they want to but I wouldn't crack... Love no present pacts - done several this year and makes everyone feel better and saves some money for cheering up January!
  • It is my birthday in January and i intend to tell all my friends not to buy me anything. One year i got a recycled gift of someone but we had both been bought this present the year before off another friend.i was quite upset by it. I have dropped numerous hints that i have stopped buying for people because of the recycled present incident but the situation goes on. then because my birthday is in january i get presents that cost virtually nothing in the sales. not meaning to sound ungrateful but i would rather do without and then i do not have to go and buy back!
    Just about to give up!
  • ryandj
    ryandj Posts: 523 Forumite
    (I don't like champagne anyway!)

Philistine!! (Joke!)

I would drink it all, and not buy them anything - but I might share it I suppose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure