The All New MSE Running Club.

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Just seen this as I was racing a cross country today.
    How did your race go Seabiscuit?
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    To get to an HM is less than a year is great progress! Hope your 10k went OK, Seabiscuit
  • Bath Half tomorrow :eek: nerves beginning to set in now! Off to the hotel this afternoon, and then for a recce to the start and runners village. Good luck to anyone else running anywhere this weekend x
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • indesisiv
    Forumite
    Good luck stepuptothepl8. I do enjoy a good half marathon.

Gentle day for me, jog to parkrun then jog home. Easy miles although it does add up forgot that its 6 miles to parkrun lol. Nice day in the rain on the north york moors tomorrow for me. Should bring my weeks mileage up to around 55 miles and a first full training week since Jan.
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bath Half tomorrow :eek: nerves beginning to set in now! Off to the hotel this afternoon, and then for a recce to the start and runners village. Good luck to anyone else running anywhere this weekend x

How did you get on?
  • WJN222
    WJN222 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Hi all, hope you don't mind me joining. I am trying to get back into running after a couple of years off.
    Have signed up to a 10K to give me something to aim for. I have been training since the new year and can comfortably do 5K now, though breaking through the 5K barrier seems to be difficult!
    Any advice?
    walk 2018 miles in 2018 - 781 of 2018
    Save £5 for every PR: 10 of 35
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,565
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    Welcome
    I am getting back into it after injury. I was following a 5k to 10k plan when I damaged a tendon which put me out for a couple of months. I did my 3rd outing since recovering last night - a slow and steady 4.1 miles.
    I was struggling trying to beat my PB for 5k and getting no quicker so I have changed tack and accepted that I am slow and will try and increase the distance instead - improved speed over 5k may come out of being able to run 10k in the end.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • indesisiv
    Forumite
    WJN222 wrote: »
    Have signed up to a 10K to give me something to aim for. I have been training since the new year and can comfortably do 5K now, though breaking through the 5K barrier seems to be difficult!
    Any advice?

What is the problem with going further than 5k? If you run 5k comfortably currently then slowly adding distance shouldn't be too problematic. Are you running the 5k flat out?
    I don't know anyone that can comfortably run 5k not be able to do 5.5k .. 6k .. 7k etc overtime.
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I was struggling trying to beat my PB for 5k and getting no quicker so I have changed tack and accepted that I am slow and will try and increase the distance instead - improved speed over 5k may come out of being able to run 10k in the end.

Once you were comfortably doing the distances then did you start to throw in intervals, hill work etc. You normally speed up if you are running intervals faster than your target pace.
  • indesisiv
    Forumite
    Going to be doing my longest run at the weekend. Can honestly say that it is the first run that I am actually nervous about doing as it is point to point. So not chance of bugging out half way lol.
    Hopefully it will be nice weather like the weekend just gone. It was lovely running on the moors in the sunshine.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,565
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Once you were comfortably doing the distances then did you start to throw in intervals, hill work etc. You normally speed up if you are running intervals faster than your target pace.

There are hills on my route but I had only done a couple of runs with elements of sprint/jog/sprint and then I got injured. This sort of technique advice is why I am looking to go along to the local running club - hopefully tomorrow.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure